What's new

Beard Comb Material?

I know that the generic plastic combs are a no-no. They tear and shred.
So what's your choice of material for a beard comb? I've used stainless steel, Kent's polymer, horn, a variety of woods, bone, and even a Byrd brand made of the same material as surf board fins.
Most of those listed above aren't marketed as beard combs, but they work just fine and the quality is there.

Last edited:
I have this one from Speert. Got it on sale at the shave shop in Carmel California. They have tons of stuff there.

proxy.php

Apparently it's made out of cellulose

Currently, I use a 3 Swords beard comb. It's made of Swiss Pear, a common hardwood in Europe.

In the past, I've used other combs made of wood, plastic/acetate, and metal. I settled on wood because it doesn't build up a static charge.

Huge fan of Kent combs. I've had one for about 4-5 years now and got my wife 2 (longer one for home and shorter one for work/travel) about 3 years ago, we both love them. They are available via Amazon as well as the typical shave gear suppliers we all use.

you have different options, kent combs at the end, kent combs are made by cellulose, and it's plastic and not anti-static and can even cause your beard to frizz, I always recommend to use a wood comb.

you have different options, kent combs at the end, kent combs are made by cellulose, and it's plastic and not anti-static and can even cause your beard to frizz, I always recommend to use a wood comb.

Please expand, if you don't mind. I'm not arguing or anything like that, I've just always enjoyed my Kent combs (as does my wife) but I've been curious about wood and am always willing to try something different in case it works better.

Please expand, if you don't mind. I'm not arguing or anything like that, I've just always enjoyed my Kent combs (as does my wife) but I've been curious about wood and am always willing to try something different in case it works better.

Sure, without any problem,

First of all, every one it's free to have their own preferences, just to mention this: I'm a beard brand manufacturing beard care products from the last 6 years, and I'm selling Kent Combs, BUT I made the small one Kent 81T in Beechwood and also another bigger one, but as being a cut wood, parts might be dented as well.

More information about Cellulose combs:

They tend to generate a lot of static electricity, especially in the winter when the air is dry – which can also cause damage to your hair when combing. Another reason why plastic varieties can be more damaging is in the production process: it can have small ridges on each tooth that can easily damage hair and cause breakage. However, some higher-end craftsman style combs are cut and then polished to eliminate those tiny edges.

But again, as a manufacturer, I won't tell you if one it's better or another it's worst, it's more a personal preference and choice, if for you Kent combs are working, keep using them, but at least now you know the cons.

Sure, without any problem,

First of all, every one it's free to have their own preferences, just to mention this: I'm a beard brand manufacturing beard care products from the last 6 years, and I'm selling Kent Combs, BUT I made the small one Kent 81T in Beechwood and also another bigger one, but as being a cut wood, parts might be dented as well.

More information about Cellulose combs:

They tend to generate a lot of static electricity, especially in the winter when the air is dry – which can also cause damage to your hair when combing. Another reason why plastic varieties can be more damaging is in the production process: it can have small ridges on each tooth that can easily damage hair and cause breakage. However, some higher-end craftsman style combs are cut and then polished to eliminate those tiny edges.

But again, as a manufacturer, I won't tell you if one it's better or another it's worst, it's more a personal preference and choice, if for you Kent combs are working, keep using them, but at least now you know the cons.

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response!

If you want to try some different ones, I'll send you a wood, a stainless steel, and a Byrd made of the same material as surf board fins. All of them are new in the packaging. I'm accumulated too much beard stuff.
Just message me where to send them.

If you want to try some different ones, I'll send you a wood, a stainless steel, and a Byrd made of the same material as surf board fins. All of them are new in the packaging. I'm accumulated too much beard stuff.
Just message me where to send them.

I really appreciate the offer however I'm only about 3 days into growing a beard again so it will be some time until I need to start combing it haha. I had a full beard for years then kept it off the last year or two and now using my recent layoff to make my wife happy and grow the beard back.

Top Bottom