What's new

Beard Butter

Does anyone use beard butter, and have a butter they recommend?

My beard is pretty dry and beard oil doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Is it your beard that is dry or the skin under it? I usually shampoo my beard with Head & Sholders along with my hair when I shower.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I don't think beard oil really does anything besides "tame" your beard. As far as moisturizing it or softening it I don't think it does that at all. But I do notice that my beard is easier to comb and lays better with oil in it. And it also has a nice sheen to it.

I don't know what beard butter is, but try Taconic Beard Balm: https://ekinon.com/products/taconic-shave-beard-balm-2oz

This is my favorite.

Experiment with beard balms. I assume beard butter is a similar product. They work well in keeping my beard soft and manageable. Also. comb and brush your beard frequently. Happy bearding.

Here are the ingredients of my balm. It also doubles as a hair pomade.

Bees wax (for hold), golden jojoba oil , coconut oil , grapeseed oil , cedarwood essential oil.

I don't think beard oil really does anything besides "tame" your beard. As far as moisturizing it or softening it I don't think it does that at all. But I do notice that my beard is easier to comb and lays better with oil in it. And it also has a nice sheen to it.

I don't know what beard butter is, but try Taconic Beard Balm: https://ekinon.com/products/taconic-shave-beard-balm-2oz

This is my favorite.

Beard oil can have moisturising properties depending on the carrier oil used. Jojoba is moisturising for the skin, and conditions the hair.

This is my favorite.

Experiment with beard balms. I assume beard butter is a similar product. They work well in keeping my beard soft and manageable. Also. comb and brush your beard frequently. Happy bearding.

Here are the ingredients of my balm. It also doubles as a hair pomade.

Bees wax (for hold), golden jojoba oil , coconut oil , grapeseed oil , cedarwood essential oil.

Beard butter, as far as I can tell, is in between oils and balms. Butters are made to moisturize and soften, and they contain moisturizing oils, like jojoba, and butters, like shea. Although some have beeswax, it is only in small quantities as a butter is not necessarily intended for styling/shaping, or providing any hold.

I'm not opposed to a balm, and will look into what you have suggested. How much hold do they provide? I'm only a bit over a month into this beard so I really don't need a lot of hold right now. Do you think I could thing it out with oil?

When I started out I ordered a combo pack of oil and balm. I ended up preferring the balms over oils. My balm does not provide much hold and that is OK with me. If you want to try a balm locally, Clubman has one and it is not bad. Found it at my drug store.

Top Bottom