What's new

Beard Balm

I never have either. But I need a new rabbit hole to go down. :laugh:

Ha! Tony, I should have elaborated somewhat here. I only wash my beard with the same soap as I use on my face. But you said you treat it like your head hair and so (presumably) use a shampoo and/or conditioner. Mine is a little wiry but I keep it pretty short, an in 3/8", and it behaves pretty well. If I tried a beard treatment, oil or whatever, I might like it.

One thing I did that was a total failure is use some Just For Men to get rid of the gray. That darn stuff rinsed off completely without leaving a trace the first time I washed my face after using it. Maybe they have improved it since and I tried it about 5 years ago.

Rabbit hole indeed!! :blushing:

Ha! Tony, I should have elaborated somewhat here. I only wash my beard with the same soap as I use on my face. But you said you treat it like your head hair and so (presumably) use a shampoo and/or conditioner. Mine is a little wiry but I keep it pretty short, an in 3/8", and it behaves pretty well. If I tried a beard treatment, oil or whatever, I might like it.

One thing I did that was a total failure is use some Just For Men to get rid of the gray. That darn stuff rinsed off completely without leaving a trace the first time I washed my face after using it. Maybe they have improved it since and I tried it about 5 years ago.

Rabbit hole indeed!! :blushing:

:thumbup1:

Glad to hear you calling it a Van Dyke. Like the tin art on that.

That's the thing. Even my male hairdresser who wears a Van Dyke calls those goatees. I suppose you know a goatee has no moustache and (to me) that's a weird look. I also had a prof in college who wore a full beard with no stash and that was weird too.

I like the Honest Amish beard balm a lot though I haven't tested other balms. They also have a beard shampoo bar for the shower that I use every few days and it has no sign of going away any time soon. I prefer a balm to emulsify in hand as it's easy to travel with and store. Beard oils feel like a rip-off but when I was testing some out, I really liked the Burroughs Beard Oil. I highly suggest experimenting a bit and making your own if you go for an oil. You'll save a ton of money that way.

I like the Honest Amish beard balm a lot though I haven't tested other balms. They also have a beard shampoo bar for the shower that I use every few days and it has no sign of going away any time soon. I prefer a balm to emulsify in hand as it's easy to travel with and store. Beard oils feel like a rip-off but when I was testing some out, I really liked the Burroughs Beard Oil. I highly suggest experimenting a bit and making your own if you go for an oil. You'll save a ton of money that way.

Thanks for the post. This stuff should be here soon. Review to follow.

I also wear a van dyke and until recently never used any oil or balm because I kept it trimmed quite short. I started growing it out 8 months ago and as such it started to become unruly. I ordered some Honest Amish balm and have been happy with the results, but I also have no experience with other oils or balms, so I'm looking forward to your review.

Used beard balm for the first time today. This is my first use of any such product.

Let's start with the ingredients:
Grapeseed Oil
Coconut Oil
Lanolin
Pure Beeswax
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Lemon Essential Oil
Geranium Essential Oil

Cost: $19.00 shipped.

I am fairly good at describing fragrance, but this one is tough. I get Murray's Pomade with a hint of eucalyptus, lemon, and coconut. Beeswax really predominates. Like church candles. It did not blow me away, but it did not offend. The product in the tin is hard, requiring circular motion work with your fingers, "melting' it a bit before you apply it to your beard. It was a bit difficult on first application to judge product quantity, but this will improve with further use. This is a leave in conditioner/styler product. I massaged Beard Balm into my nubile growth and combed it through. I did not get tremendous hold and sculpting ability, but it did a terrific job with the coarse "fly aways" and provided a great deal of shine to the gray. The two things that are most important to this beard grower. Also, say adios to the itch. Another big plus. This is a keeper.

Take care Gents.

EDIT: I would like to add ,on day two of use, my coarse beard hair is much softer. Please note: I have a very wiry beard.

EDIT: I am getting more of the grape seed oil fragrance on day 3. Starting to dial in the product ratios. Not greasy at all, but my beard is thirsty.

Last edited:
Hmm, that does sound pretty good. Those "fly aways" sure are annoying.

I currently don't use anything on the beard (have used coconut oil before, but it was too greasy), except that i lather on days that i don't shave. Just so i can keep the beard hydrated. It seems to be working, but i'm only wasting shaving soap that way.

I may give this product a go. There's also the grizzly man product line, and the wild man beard conditioner that i might do more research before deciding what to get. I was looking at the bluebeards stuff at west coast, and it looks like a decent product.

If any of you have used either of those, please chime in.

Hmm, that does sound pretty good. Those "fly aways" sure are annoying.

I currently don't use anything on the beard (have used coconut oil before, but it was too greasy), except that i lather on days that i don't shave. Just so i can keep the beard hydrated. It seems to be working, but i'm only wasting shaving soap that way.

I may give this product a go. There's also the grizzly man product line, and the wild man beard conditioner that i might do more research before deciding what to get. I was looking at the bluebeards stuff at west coast, and it looks like a decent product.

If any of you have used either of those, please chime in.

There are quite a few to be researched. The Honest Amish gets a great deal of love. They all generally contain the same ingredients. The fragrance is growing on me, performance has been excellent.

Interesting thread. I've never used anything like this. In the past I used to get some pretty dry, irritated skin beneath my beard hair. Now that I've started wet shaving, I wash my face with a good soap - including the beard area. I've noticed a difference, to be sure. This sounds like taking it to the next level.

Just to be clear, although this product provides some styling ability/control, it is primarily a leave-in product to condition, correct? This is as opposed to mustache wax, which is primarily for styling and must be taken out at the end of the day.

Interesting thread. I've never used anything like this. In the past I used to get some pretty dry, irritated skin beneath my beard hair. Now that I've started wet shaving, I wash my face with a good soap - including the beard area. I've noticed a difference, to be sure. This sounds like taking it to the next level.

Just to be clear, although this product provides some styling ability/control, it is primarily a leave-in product to condition, correct? This is as opposed to mustache wax, which is primarily for styling and must be taken out at the end of the day.

It is more of a facial hair nourisher and conditioner. Styling ability and control is minimal.

I should use the oil daily so the hairs get the benefits... I'll do that starting tomorrow and see if I can tell a difference at the end of a week or so. I may try out the balm after that depending. lol

Top Bottom