What's new

Beard Balm

I am currently sporting a Van Dyke that I keep trimmed with a 0.5" guard on a Wahl Peanut, so it is a mid length. The only thing I do for it, other than wash it in the shower is to use pre shave oil on it. When I oil the shaving area, I also work the oil into the beard area. It mostly helps the skin under the beard, but it keeps the hairs fairly soft too.

ETA - I do not lather up the beard area, only the shaving area.

Last edited:
I am currently sporting a Van Dyke that I keep trimmed with a 0.5" guard on a Wahl Peanut, so it is a mid length. The only thing I do for it, other than wash it in the shower is to use pre shave oil on it. When I oil the shaving area, I also work the oil into the beard area. It mostly helps the skin under the beard, but it keeps the hairs fairly soft too.

ETA - I do not lather up the beard area, only the shaving area.

0.5 is the #4 guard, right? What are the lengths for the other 3, do you know? I have one and I might have overlooked it in the manual, but mine just say S1-4.

0.5 is the #4 guard, right? What are the lengths for the other 3, do you know? I have one and I might have overlooked it in the manual, but mine just say S1-4.

The Peanut uses the S1 (1/8"), S2 (1/4"), S3 (3/8") & S4 (1/2"). These cut shorter (less than 1/16" shorter) than the regular 1, 2, 3 & 4 guards on my full sized trimmer, but the kit packs easy for travel.

Last edited:
The Peanut uses the S1 (1/8"), S2 (1/4"), S3 (3/8") & S4 (1/2"). These cut shorter (less than 1/16" shorter) than the regular 1, 2, 3 & 4 guards on my full sized trimmer, but the kit packs easy for travel.

Thanks. I like my Peanut, but didn't know the guard lengths. I have another trimmer that i can use for daily touch ups so knowing the lengths helps.

I tried this product too. I have to agree with Tony's description of the scent - not exactly endearing, but not offensive either. It definitely seemed to moisturize the hair and the skin underneath.

$red-hook-classic-beard-new_large.jpg

If you prefer a more refined fragrance, these products are worth a try. Great fragrance. Leaves the beard soft and conditioned.

Beard Balm gets the nod for 'better hold'.

BG contains shea butter.

^ Enabler!

My BBAD is in full swing.

a

yeah, mine feels like it's gearing up. *sigh*

I will admit the scent is very Vicks-like. I don't mind it when I'm not wearing AS or cologne. For example, if I decide I want to tame it down a little mid-day, no issue. However, in the morning when I shave then apply, it drowns out a lot of the AS or cologne. I'll probably look for something unscented that doesn't clash with my other scents.

I will admit the scent is very Vicks-like. I don't mind it when I'm not wearing AS or cologne. For example, if I decide I want to tame it down a little mid-day, no issue. However, in the morning when I shave then apply, it drowns out a lot of the AS or cologne. I'll probably look for something unscented that doesn't clash with my other scents.

I am also going down the rabbit hole tweaking scent profiles and combinations.

I am loving it.

Wait, so, which one is sort of Vicks scented?

I am also going down the rabbit hole tweaking scent profiles and combinations.

I am loving it.

I could see the regular Beard Bomb being good with something like Osage. Maybe it's just my nose but when I apply it over AS it drowns that out and all i smell is the Bomb.

Wait, so, which one is sort of Vicks scented?

Beard Bomb = Vicks scented.

Beard Bomb Bay Rum = Bay Rum scented (so they say, haven't tried it yet)

The regular isn't a bad scent, just annoys me when it clashes with my AS/cologne.

View attachment 527719

If you prefer a more refined fragrance, these products are worth a try. Great fragrance. Leaves the beard soft and conditioned.

Beard Balm gets the nod for 'better hold'.

BG contains shea butter.

lol the enabler strikes again :lol:

So the beard Balm has better hold. Does it take long to warm up and work in to your beard?
It is easy to comb to shape?

Seems like I will be trying some new products.

lol the enabler strikes again :lol:

So the beard Balm has better hold. Does it take long to warm up and work in to your beard?
It is easy to comb to shape?

Seems like I will be trying some new products.

It melts quickly if you rub it between your hands prior to massaging into beard. It doesn't have the shaping or holding properties of a pomade or mustache wax by any means, but tames the fly aways and keeps the beard in place. You have to reapply when you get home from work and such as it tends to 'wear' off. Definitely makes it easier to comb and style. I think it really shines in the softening of the coarseness and care of the skin below.

It melts quickly if you rub it between your hands prior to massaging into beard. It doesn't have the shaping or holding properties of a pomade or mustache wax by any means, but tames the fly aways and keeps the beard in place. You have to reapply when you get home from work and such as it tends to 'wear' off. Definitely makes it easier to comb and style. I think it really shines in the softening of the coarseness and care of the skin below.

I have this exact input for Beard Bomb. I like balm for my beard as it's not super long. It kinda just keeps it in place going the right direction, shines it up, and tames flyaways.

I'm thinking of trimming the goatee short for a time, letting it all grow back in evened out. I may pick up a tub of balm to try/use during that, instead of the oil. Prolly after holiday spending has dropped off...

Top Bottom