What's new

Bear Compound Bows

I have two vintage Bear compound bows. I would love to clean them up and use them, but I am having a terrible time finding out much info about them at all.

Specifically I want to replace the cords and string since they are probably from when the bows were made.

Any ideas where I can pick these up? I am also open to other maintence tips!

Thanks

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would think any sporting goods outlet that services bows should be able to hook you up. I believe that you would need a bow press to change the strings, probably best to let a pro do it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I would think any sporting goods outlet that services bows should be able to hook you up. I believe that you would need a bow press to change the strings, probably best to let a pro do it.

^^^What he said.

A bow press is pretty much required for a compound.

Pics. or you don't have them. :biggrin1:

IMG_20200528_134412.jpg
IMG_20200528_134423.jpg
IMG_20200528_134548.jpg
IMG_20200528_134429.jpg
IMG_20200528_134535.jpg
IMG_20200528_134612.jpg
IMG_20200528_134621.jpg

Sorry for the delay. One of them os missing its emblem. The other looks like silver or nickel. That puts it in the 70s i believe?

View attachment 1106187View attachment 1106188View attachment 1106189View attachment 1106190View attachment 1106191View attachment 1106192View attachment 1106193
Sorry for the delay. One of them os missing its emblem. The other looks like silver or nickel. That puts it in the 70s i believe?

I had the exact same bow. Polar Ltd I believe. In any case, a very similar model. Not a bad shooter. Quite slow though. Get arrows sized to add a little speed.

The cross strings have to loop over the roller pulleys sticking out towards the strings. They can be adjusted to increase the weight of pull. You can do that yourself without a press.

The string will be custom made. An archery shop can hook you up as others have said, but they may want an exorbitant amount for the string and arrows.

I would try the string as is unless it’s damaged or they offer a reasonable alternative. You can wax it easily. If it’s just the serving that is damaged, they can fix that cheaply.

The arrows can be bought cheaper if you ask to go with budget options. New hunting or target arrows can be amazingly expensive if you haven’t bought any since the bow was built.

Enjoy!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup. Polar LTD! I have one hanging in the garage!

Got mine in 1980. But I put a new string on just a few years ago ... For fun. I greatly prefer my Samuck Sage recurve.

AA

Yup. Polar LTD! I have one hanging in the garage!

Got mine in 1980. But I put a new string on just a few years ago ... For fun. I greatly prefer my Samuck Sage recurve.

AA
It was a very popular bow. I harvested a lot of deer with mine when I was in middle and high school. Pretty cool Old bow. Did you use the old Bear broad heads with a little bleeder Blade stuck in the broadhead?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It was a very popular bow. I harvested a lot of deer with mine when I was in middle and high school. Pretty cool Old bow. Did you use the old Bear broad heads with a little bleeder Blade stuck in the broadhead?
Yes. Even have that quiver pictured.

Carried it afield a few years, but never got a deer with. Shot it a lot, though. I'll take a pic.

AA

Top Bottom