What's new

Bean suggestions?

Since I got the new burr grinder, I've been experimenting with different brands. Nothing special, mostly what is on sale at the grocery store. I recently went to Whole Foods to see what they had, got a bag of 365 Island Blend City Roast. So far it is the biggest fail, it seriously upsets my stomach. No idea why. The taste is ok, but it really disagrees with me. I find I am less of a fan of the dark roasts, they tend to taste burned. I think the medium roasts suit me the best.

I think it is difficult to predict which coffees will be good/better than others at the supermarket. Since that 365 Island is a blend where the origin countries are not listed, I might expect it vary somewhat over the year. That said, I would not expect it to be more disagreeable than others. Perhaps it was more acidic than what you were accustomed to, or it was some combination of fresher (or staler) and lighter roast than expected.

I don't have any suggestion, other than obviously try a different one next time. I rarely buy roasted coffee, but when I do I buy what looks to be the highest volume whole bean arabica coffee that the store sells, which is usually one of the cheaper brands, hoping to get coffee which is fresher than the more fancy ones. The last roasted coffee I bought was an Organic Honduras from Aldi, which was surprisingly good, though I did not try to brew any of it as espresso.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Been buying green for the past few decades.

There are a number of places where you can get roasted La Minita .
I visited there while in Costa Rica a few years ago as part of a Terrazu region tour. I’ve seen the roasted beans, where do you get your green beans?

I visited there while in Costa Rica a few years ago as part of a Terrazu region tour. I’ve seen the roasted beans, where do you get your green beans?
I get them from whoever has them when I order. I try to get 40 +/- pounds at a time while the harvest is current. That will last me a year or so as I roast other regions also.

I think my last order was from either Theta Ridge or Happy Mug.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I get them from whoever has them when I order. I try to get 40 +/- pounds at a time while the harvest is current. That will last me a year or so as I roast other regions also.

I think my last order was from either Theta Ridge or Happy Mug.
Ok, Thanks. Just getting into the home roasting. Looked at Theta Ridge and SweetMarias. I’ll have to watch for the harvest times.

Maybe I should try roasting my own...I've been reading about methods. I have an air fryer, which apparently works well for everything except a dark roast.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Maybe I should try roasting my own...I've been reading about methods. I have an air fryer, which apparently works well for everything except a dark roast.
I used an air popcorn popper a few years ago and had good results. Just upgraded to a Behmor and am now learning all over again.

Ok, Thanks. Just getting into the home roasting. Looked at Theta Ridge and SweetMarias. I’ll have to watch for the harvest times.
Happy mug has some

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Happy mug has some

Thanks for the tip. 5lbs of La Minita as well as 5lbs of Costa Rican Cumbres del Poas Black Honey inbound.

After a defective device order from Sweet Maria’s and no response to emails I was at a loss for where to find beans. Thx to you folks I gave HappyMug a try. With questions being I’m a noob, I gave them a ring. Max, a great gent who answered on a Sunday afternoon and laid me out with what to order and temps for roasting, wow. Beans are coming and I am tickled by the amazing CS.

After a defective device order from Sweet Maria’s and no response to emails I was at a loss for where to find beans. Thx to you folks I gave HappyMug a try. With questions being I’m a noob, I gave them a ring. Max, a great gent who answered on a Sunday afternoon and laid me out with what to order and temps for roasting, wow. Beans are coming and I am tickled by the amazing CS.

My last couple orders have been from Happy Mug. Been pleased with the beans. Rhoads is another I use as is Burmans.

It's very surprising to hear bad service from SM. I hope that's not a trend moving forward...

Happy Mug is pretty good. Their flavor notes almost never match what I get, but they also recommend I roast everything I buy "just into" or "on the verge of" second crack. I like to ignore that, and roast lovely light and medium roasts. They also sent me a coffee bag recently with one of my orders. Apparently that's a common thing, but I've been ordering from them for years and only got a bag on my last order.

It's nice to have importers on different sides of the country, so when one has their stock locked up in a port, the other might not.

Surprised to hear this. Sweet Maria’s has always been quick and responsive to emails for me.

Surprised to hear this. Sweet Maria’s has always been quick and responsive to emails for me.
Faulty whirly gig manual roaster. After 2 emails with no response I modified (cut drive shaft and left the weighted collar out) and went for it. I believe I left a voicemail as well. Probably just busy folks and I’m happy to have found another vendor. Hopefully my last one.

Top Bottom