What's new

Be Careful Buying from English Shaving Company

At the top of the first page there is a spot to choose your currency. English Pounds, Euros or US dollars. If you choose USD you will pay a huge premium. For example a Jagger 3ONE6 razor lists for 62.50 pounds with no VAT. If you switch to USD the price is $99.17. If I convert pounds to dollars based on current exchange rates it comes to $76.05. So always choose pounds as your currency and let the credit card company make the conversion.

Send them a message to fix it!
It must be a glitch, otherwise I have no explanation. Even the Paypal notorious with it's awful currency conversion rates does not do it. Or register\log into your account and see if there is any difference!

It must be a glitch, otherwise I have no explanation. Even the Paypal notorious with it's awful currency conversion rates does not do it. Or register\log into your account and see if there is any difference!

The exchange rates were probably fixed on the website back in the days when the pound to dollar ratio was much bigger than it is now. For well-known reasons the British pound has been collapsing against the dollar and euro these past couple years, so there is little reason not to buy in pounds and let your credit card company handle the conversion.

Oh, please don’t. I believe that we are able to buy goods from this company at great prices when we buy in pounds. I am afraid that we will lose an opportunity if someone tells them about this error.

For example, those 3one6s are listed at $120 in the US.

In other words, I believe this error works in our favor. Why screw up a good thing!

I can confirm that their conversion rates are off quite a bit. I tested this with a brush and I would gain something like 4$, which is meaningless to me. However, as a business they will lose quite a lot from all our orders accumulated. I agree with what @VerbaVolant said.

At the top of the first page there is a spot to choose your currency. English Pounds, Euros or US dollars. If you choose USD you will pay a huge premium. For example a Jagger 3ONE6 razor lists for 62.50 pounds with no VAT. If you switch to USD the price is $99.17. If I convert pounds to dollars based on current exchange rates it comes to $76.05. So always choose pounds as your currency and let the credit card company make the conversion.

I really rate the English Shaving Company. I recently I had concerns over a Muhle Alum block and they immediately provided a full refund with no quibble. I understand the post but we should be fair to English Shaving Company as no retail outlet updates exchange rates very frequently. All foreign purchases should typically be completed in the foreign currency as your credit card usually provides the most up to date exchange rate.

Top Bottom