What's new

BBS

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I think I read that the BBS test is where a cotton wool ball dragged across the face does not catch a single fibre on stubble anywhere. I have not done this myself as I have no interest in trying to achieve BBS. I enjoy the preparation, the routine, and the act of shaving, the end result is not that important to me, it is incidental. I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve and why you are shaving at all. 👍

So is the reasonablish definition ?

Rub fingers ATG and if you don't feel anything it is BBS?
Rub fingers WTG and if you don't feel anything it is DFS?

and for completeness

Rub fingers WTG and if you feel something it is CS (Crappy shave?)

Regards
Avi

I've yet to waste a cotton ball on the test, but I've heard that definition before. I generally run my hand over my face and head and see if I can feel stubble. Quite often I have areas that are BBS. Cheeks and top of head are very easy to get BBS (cheeks because they're easy to shave and top of head because nothing really grows there). My neck around the adams apple and the back of my head around the occipital lobe are incredibly difficult to get BBS, but it's happened.

I typically do 3 full passes plus a touch up pass with the hope of getting a BBS shave. And I usually do. This morning I was rushed so I did a two pass shave. WTG and ATG. No touch up. And can't believe it was a BBS shave everywhere except on the left side of my neck which is impossible for me to get BBS. I just got lucky I guess.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As per the definition of BBS in the B&B Wiki (Abbreviations):

"Baby butt smooth. A completely smooth shave result. Circular rubbing pattern with the fingertips can't detect any sort of stubble left, period. See also DFS, CCS and SAS."
+1 to this. :)

I stopped chasing BBS and let the chips fall where they may after however many passes (2, 3 or 4) plus touch-up I decide to do with that particular razor (i.e. 2 with the Ikon TEK, 3 with the RR GC84-P, 4 with a Gillette Tech).

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Can't chase BBS if I want to shave every day. Three full passes and the touch up and detailing I need to get BBS inevitably leads to irritation after 5 or 6 consecutive days. Two close passes and perhaps a little extra ATG touch up on my throat and I'm close enough. Usually BBS everywhere but a few spots on my throat.

Get BBS everytime. Two passes, one WTG, one ATG, w touch up. I have eliminated the dud products from my line up, have refined a good technique and know my equipment well.

I typically do 3 full passes plus a touch up pass with the hope of getting a BBS shave. And I usually do. This morning I was rushed so I did a two pass shave. WTG and ATG. No touch up. And can't believe it was a BBS shave everywhere except on the left side of my neck which is impossible for me to get BBS. I just got lucky I guess.
Same here. The neck will feel super smooth WTG, but there's a little stubble when I stroke against the grain. Shaving that area is weird enough, using my right hand to move the razor in a rather awkward fashion toward the back of my neck. And soap makes the area too slippery for me to tighten the skin. So I settle for "looks nice, feels good, no irritation."

Four passes, consistent BBS. Daily shaver. No irritation. I'm lucky.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It's easy to be lucky when one uses 4 passes. I think 4 passes (not 3 passes) should be the standard for everyone who has tough whiskers, and that usually means anyone older than middle aged. My fourth pass is the same as the first pass, N to S.

Four on the face!

Top Bottom