What's new

BBS, WTG only?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look for one. I'm also strongly considering honing my own blade.

So what are my options if I want BBS?
By its very definition, you will not get a BBS result without going ATG. You can get close without but never fully there.

Just aim for a DFS result with WTG and XTR. Once you can get consistent XTG results without your problems, then and only then start experimenting with ATG passes. It will take you time, a lot of time, in developing your technique to get there. If you don't shave daily, it will take you many more SR shaves to get there.

It took me about 100 SR shaves, shaving daily, to get BBS with a SR. I then found that I didn't want it. A BBS result gave me nothing to shave the next day. Enjoying SR shaving so much, I wanted to SR shave every day.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Following on to my earlier comments about seeing what WTG-only might do:

For me, not so much. Took off hair like always, but for sure there was a fair bit left. So, now I know. Went ATG and got the rest of it.

I imagine if I had to do it that way it'd be OK, but I don't so I'll stick to what's working for me.

O.H.

G

Guest2023

For me WTG only leaves much stubble on the chin and neck area. I try to apply as little pressure as I can when goign ATG.

From one black man with nappy hair to another, my advice is to stop pursuing the BBS. Know your face and know your hair. If your hair is anything like mine, it’s coarse, wiry and curly. Those are usually the recipe for ingrown hairs when cut too close. My most success came when I finally accepted that my face and hair were different than my caucasian wetshaving brethren. Instead of 3 passes, I settle for a one and done approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to map your beard, everybody’s beard is different, my Left is different from my Right. Then shave using the best angle’(s) available to you, using the keenest blade.

If you are new to Straight Razor shaving and maintenance, likely stropping is an issue that can be improved, and will with daily practice.

I use a diagonal clean up stroke for some areas, a cross between WTG and ATE, but ingrown hair is not an issue I deal wit

When in doubt, razor keenness is always a solution

Top Bottom