What's new

BBS with Feather AS-DS

I usually shave with a Muhle R-41, which gives me a BBS that lasts for 12-14 hours. I can also get a BBS shave with other razors, but it typically lasts less (with my Merkur Progress it lasts only 8-10 hours). I am now thinking of buying a Feather AS-DS. I understand it has an angle that, once mastered, can give a BBS shave. But is this a lasting BBS? For the sake of marital life, I'd rather not have stubble on my face when I come back from work!

Yes you can get BBS with AS-D2. It requires a bit more buffing and I always ended up with lots of neck irritation with AS-D2. The problem for me was that it always felt like it was not shaving enough so I tended to use too much pressure. It is a demanding razor. I think it demands patience and getting the angle right. But it was hard to keep the angel in neck area. So always a lot of irritation for me.

I dunno...I've owned the AS-D2 and I own the R41. They are night and day different with regards to efficiency. You may find the AS-D2 requires too much buffing work to achieve the same results that a razor like the R41 can provide with much less effort. That's just me though. I for one could not get the closeness I wanted with the AS-D2 without inducing mild irritation.

To be honest I was never happy with my shaves I got from my AS - D2 or the D1 and sold them both. As some have said it's a lot of work to get a BBS out of it. Also agree there is no comparison between it and a R41 in efficiency and for me even glide is better with the R41. For the money I can think of numerous razors I'd choose over the Feather.
Just my 2 cents.

OP just a thought...if you have never tried a Rockwell 6s there is a pass around underway right here courtesy of the very generous @GlazedBoker. For the cost of postage you can try this razor for a week. Having used the AS-D2 and now a full time user of the 6s, I can confidently say you'll get at least one exposure setting with the 6s (it has 6 in total) that will equal the feel of the AS-D2 while offering the ability to go a good bit higher. They are both stainless razors, the major difference being the thickness of the Rockwell head.

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

Ive tried the AS-D2 a couple times and was never able to get a BBS shave with it either time. I really wanted to like the AS-D2 but for me, its just too mild.

I am one of those folks who can get a BBS shave every time I use the AS-D2. I do a four pass shave with all of my razors. In the AS-D2 I use a Feather blade and use an angle that results in more blade exposure. When I first got the AS-D2 I was not happy with the shaves since I was not getting a BBS shave. I tried putting shims in the razor and that did not give me a smooth shave. I then tried the Feather blade and played with the blade angle and finally met with sucess.

Because my beard grows in so many directions and changes course around my neck every inch :)a52:), a four pass shave is the only way I can get a BBS shave. As a result, razors such as the R. 41 do not work for me.

IMO the R41 and AS/D2 are at very close to opposite ends of the DE spectrum: almost different animals!

IMO the R41 and AS/D2 are at very close to opposite ends of the DE spectrum: almost different animals!
Agree, very different shavers. I like the R41, get along lasting BBS almost every shave, especially with a Feather. the AS D2 for me gives only a DFS with the most controlled, precise blade angle I can manage. The R41 has a wider effective cutting angle, so if it varies a bit as you shave your still getting a great shave. The AS D2 is most efficient, for me anyway, if handled like I imagine a brain surgeon handles a scalpel. And even than it never gives me as close a shave as the R41. The only advantage, it is not only a lot harder to cut whiskers, it is a lot harder to cut yourself than the R41.

Have you thought about a Blackbird? I have never used the R41, but others have said the Blackbird shaves just as close. I have the OC and I also had the SB as well. They both have the same efficiency. I just prefer OC razors so I traded the SB.

Have you tried a Gillette Tech Fat Handle? The head design is just too similar as a Feather As-D2. Last time I tried my Tech I had pretty awful results. I used a mild blade that time and tried to clean every stubble left. After 4.5 passes, the finish was more of a red one instead of a clean look.

Today, I tried it with a sharper blade, Astra SP. Even if it isn't a Feather blade, slight increase in sharpness made a big difference. WTG-XTG-ATG, 3 passes gave a smooth, relaxed and clean face. My BBS has been lasting for 8 hours and I think it will stay smooth and clean for at least 5-6 hours more.

I guess you can get pretty good results with a Feather AS-D2 if you are patient enough to teach your hand its hold. And please keep one of the sharper blades in it.

Top Bottom