What's new

BBS vs DFS

I do 2 passes (WTG and ATG), and get a DFS+ every shave with no irritation pretty much
I could probably do a 3rd pass and get a BBS, but my skin is sensitive, and I just don't want to risk it, I'm gonna have to shave again the next day, so no point in doing more than 2 passes daily for a DFS+ for me.

1 ATG, 1/2 ATG, and a little cleanup. even with balsa......by next morn I have stubble.

with my recent Ark journey I end up DFS but BBS in most areas. have used wifes assessment to gauge this without bias. says the Ark shaves feel smoother.

so these days..........DFS but still get alot of BBS. right side neck will always be DFS land.

camo

Baby Butt Smooth...every shave.

If one “straight” is too sharp for an every day shave, then change it up.

Use an “atom splitter” the first day, then a smoother shaver the next. (Or visa-versa).

But I like that baby-butt smoothness all the time.

View attachment 1160626
You mean the real Baby Butt Smoothness...... Who’s going to kiss your real old fart hairy butt?

proxy.php

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I can easily shave twice a day (and did if we went out in the evening ... pre-Covid, of course), so chasing BBS is a waste for me. A nice smooth shave in the morning is a great way to kick off the day, even if i have 5 o'clock shadow at noon.
proxy.php

Baby Butt Smooth...every shave.

If one “straight” is too sharp for an every day shave, then change it up.

Use an “atom splitter” the first day, then a smoother shaver the next. (Or visa-versa).

But I like that baby-butt smoothness all the time.

View attachment 1160626
I once chased the BBS shave, but it took three passes and a lot of cleanup. I always ended up with irritation and the BBS shave wasn’t consistent across my face. I finally decided it wasn’t worth the discomfort and started stopping at two or three passes. Now I occasionally achieve a near BBS shave every once in a while and achieve a DFS shave ever time. I’m happier, my face is happier. The bull still isn’t happy.

D38CAB08-BFAF-4ABB-806F-41AE64647DC0.jpeg

Three passes every shave. No touch-ups/clean-ups.
BBS every shave.
Shave every day. (Straights except GEMondays)
Rarely any irritation.
Sandpaper-free for 10-12 hours every time.
No

I'm blessed.

I agree with SterFry. In the past, I would chase that perfect shave. Several passes. A few nicks. A toilet paper patch. A lovely rash. I would go for that perfect shave, especially when I had a meeting. Then I realized that others would never see the difference between a simple one or two pass shave and a meticulous multi-pass shave in every direction - unless they were examining me with a magnifier. And yes, the hairs do lay down in an hour or so. So that meticulous shave is really just for you, and not the many people that will see you that day.

One pass down one pass up...thats all i ever need...not that i cant do the xtg just dont need it for bbs as the atg does most of the work..my growth around my neck is all sorts of directions lol...im in kinda the same boat as the other guy ill shave say in the morning come lunch ill have sandpaper...i wouldnt shave it though its to soon for the face.

Finding the right balance of closeness and comfort is part of why finishers are so interesting to try and collect. I've got a number of razor + finish combos that will give me a shave that's plenty close but I'll regret having it, and razor + finish combos that leave my face feeling great, but I've still got shadow. Finding the edges that give you the close shave and don't irritate your face is the trick.

One with the grain, one across it, and I'm done. BBS is nice the first few times, but that last against the grain shave makes it take longer, and increases the risk you get a bleeder. Plus it leaves my face feeling a bit raw and makes the next day's shave less pleasant. So just 2 for me, DFS is enough

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
If I get a BBS that's OK, my sweet spot that is just right is CCS,DFS,BBS range and I'm one happy camper with no irritation + no weepers. WTG + ATG + with pickups is what works for myself after years ago I beard mapped my facial grain direction. If you do get a BBS you more than likely scrapped some skin off and hopefully with no irritation. To know if you received a BBS use the cotton ball test to confirm, celebrate because a few hours later its a DFS. I use a balm after shaving because your chances of a very close shave go up because it retains moisture in your facial skin and that buries the chopped off whiskers a little for the feel you desire of a close shave.(usally 1/2-1 hr after shave)
If you need to have a BBS you have to Pre shave prep to clean and moisturize the whiskers for easier cutting for the blade and if hand technique is spot on your chances go up drastically IMO.

Well, I'm very early into my shavette usage, exclusively for about a month or so. So I'm still chasing a DFS. But using the DE I'd be just shy of BBS nightly with the barest hints of 5:00 shadow when I woke up, coincidentally at 5:00 am.

But my "office" is in fact a desk in the corner of the dusty drafty makeshift warehouse area of our building. I feel that a layer of scruff will keep that (God knows what) dust out of my pores or follicles. And in a good hot humid Baltimore summer, being BBS gets very irritated with sweat. So, again, a light layer of scruff.

The short answer is I shoot for a Good Enough shave.

Just out of curiosity which is more important to you guys? I like to shave everyday because it’s a meditative part of my day. I always use a straight (or occasionally shavette) but the entire process is the same. I typically do a 2 pass shave (WTG and XTG) and look nice and clean in the mirror. There are usually a few sandpaper spots on my neck that only get irritated if I go after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was never really worried about it when I was using carts. My wife actually thinks I look most attractive with a Van Dyck and four days stubble. For about five years, I would just use my hair clippers to shave. I started actually shaving again with carts a few years ago for professional reasons. I still wear a Van Dyck. About a month and a half to two months ago, I bought a cheap DE for financial and political reasons. For whatever reason, I have become obsessed with getting a BBS shave on the areas I shave since I started using a DE. Started off with the blades that came with my cheap Amazon razor and was getting a ton of razor burn. Between improving my technique and the blade sampler I've recently gotten from a PIF thread on this forum, I'm now getting BBS on 95% of my shaved areas and DFS on the other 5% with only two passes + touch up, with zero razor burn. So, I would definitely say BBS is my goal, but I'm not going to rip my face apart making sure every inch is BBS either.

I do the same 2.5 passes everyday. Then I rinse off and see how I did. It’s always DFS and I go with it. Sometimes it’s better than usual. There’s almost always a tiny bit of ATG stubble somewhere. I make a mental note and do it again the next day maybe slightly differently.

I don’t spend ages feeling where I missed or where I should go over again. Who cares? Tomorrow is another day. I’ve got light coloured hair so you can’t see it anyways. I’m also pretty much the only one at work that shaves anywhere close to regularly. Trust me one else notices or cares if you got a BBS as long as you look presentable. It’s not worth chopping yourself up for. Presentable, comfortable, zero irritation. That’s the name of the game.

The only thing I’ve ever gotten a true BBS with is the Blackland Vector. That razor puts them out fairly frequently too. Something about the blade and head design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom