What's new

BBS vs DFS

Just out of curiosity which is more important to you guys? I like to shave everyday because it’s a meditative part of my day. I always use a straight (or occasionally shavette) but the entire process is the same. I typically do a 2 pass shave (WTG and XTG) and look nice and clean in the mirror. There are usually a few sandpaper spots on my neck that only get irritated if I go after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Raymond Luxury Yacht, I am the same as you, except I don't have your neck whisker problem. Two passes (WTG & XTG) gives me a DFS+ all over with absolutely no skin irritation after. A third pass ATG will give me BBS but then I have got nothing to shave 24 hours later.

DFS+ each day allows me to get the most passes in (14) per week. Isn't that why we SR shave - for the enjoyment?

I always have a few small patches after my usual 3 passes. Sandpaper is a great descriptor.

I can get completely smooth with a bit of extra pressure on my 3rd pass or if I do a 4th but it isn’t worth the irritation. I no longer bother.

Yeah that’s what I mean, the term 5 o’clock shadow happened for a reason. How many people are actually touching and commenting on your face in that time!!! Lol

@Raymond Luxury Yacht, I am the same as you, except I don't have your neck whisker problem. Two passes (WTG & XTG) gives me a DFS+ all over with absolutely no skin irritation after. A third pass ATG will give me BBS but then I have got nothing to shave 24 hours later.

DFS+ each day allows me to get the most passes in (14) per week. Isn't that why we SR shave - for the enjoyment?

You and I totally agree on shaving, I’ve seen your posts on other threads and I agree wholeheartedly, I LOVE shaving everyday. I however don’t make 7 day sets like you brother, lol

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
Baby Butt Smooth...every shave.

If one “straight” is too sharp for an every day shave, then change it up.

Use an “atom splitter” the first day, then a smoother shaver the next. (Or visa-versa).

But I like that baby-butt smoothness all the time.

A7FCF4A4-4794-4713-90E1-8C7E85CE7BBB.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You and I totally agree on shaving, I’ve seen your posts on other threads and I agree wholeheartedly, I LOVE shaving everyday. I however don’t make 7 day sets like you brother, lol
But I'm stopping at 4, or maybe 5, or ....
Then to find another rabbit hole.

Baby Butt Smooth...every shave.

If one “straight” is too sharp for an every day shave, then change it up.

Use an “atom splitter” the first day, then a smoother shaver the next. (Or visa-versa).

But I like that baby-butt smoothness all the time.

View attachment 1160626

Nice, I prefer BBS but if I chase it I tend to get more irritation than it’s worth, just my skin. It’s as though I can have DFS everyday and shave everyday or get BBS and have to give my skin a break

I will absolutely choose smooth and comfortable every time. Not to imply that I don't get close shaves, because I do. To keep things simple I could say that I do one WTG pass and one XTG pass, but that's a gross generalization. In actual application I break parts of my face down into sections. I then attack each section a certain way. Situation dictates and saying w/eTG is painting in too broad a stroke.

I sit firmly in the camp that no matter how close I shave I'll have stuble again by midday. An extra two hours of glass isn't worth possible irritation that lasts much longer than two hours...plus the longer my beard growth the more I enjoy shaving.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I sit firmly in the camp that no matter how close I shave I'll have stuble again by midday. ....

You sir are a very lucky gentleman. For me to get even close to that, I need to use the B&B Whisker Growth Treatment. That isn't easy here with our current quarantine restrictions, what with having to collect fresh goat manure every afternoon.

Another thing I’ve found is my skin is way smoother an hour or so after shaving than during the shave. I used to chase the smoothness while I was shaving but the porcupine quills will lay down given time without going after them

Yes... this. Took me a while to realize this as well.

I am in the DFS camp. While I enjoy shaving I do not like to spend any "extra" time doing it. I like to occasionally target a near perfect shave to help keep up my skills, but not every day.

I view shaving sort of like raking leaves or mowing the grass. I would rather do it more frequently at a faster pace with the goal of keeping things tidy; rather than spend twice the time and getting perfection only to then let the beard grow for days in between.

Top Bottom