What's new

BBS (or at least pretty darn close) with no ATG pass

Do you use an ATG pass during your routine?

• Yes

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters
With Merkur type DE razors
an ATG pass was out of the question.
Horrible experience ,due to dense and wire hard greek stubble and blade chattering.
With razors that clamp the blade close to its edges
( Wolfman,Karve,Tatara,Game Changer,etc ) I can do directly
2 x ATG passes on 24h growth
and get BBS in no time,without any sign of
irritation whatsoever.
No matter the blade loaded -except couple of exceptions like Bolzano,Dorco & Timor .

Going against the grain while retaining smoothness,
requires blade rigidity ,
most of all .

My 2 cents.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m going to continue experimenting with technique, but I am not really convinced that ATG is really worth it (perhaps my stubble is too thick for an ATG pass?).

Try a search of the word "rigidity". Your eyes may be opened too.

Always. Often only ATG.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
With Merkur type DE razors
an ATG pass was out of the question.
Horrible experience ,due to dense and wire hard greek stubble and blade chattering.
With razors that clamp the blade close to its edges
( Wolfman,Karve,Tatara,Game Changer,etc ) I can do directly
2 x ATG passes on 24h growth
and get BBS in no time,without any sign of
irritation whatsoever.
No matter the blade loaded -except couple of exceptions like Bolzano,Dorco & Timor .

Going against the grain while retaining smoothness,
requires blade rigidity ,
most of all .

My 2 cents.

Try an SE.

Do you get that same experience using the more "aggresive" Merkur type razors, such as a Futur or R41?
Yes,used to shave with R41 for
five years.No ATG passes with R41.Makes no difference how
aggressive is the razor.

Try an SE.
I’m on the mid-aggressive / mild razor combined with sharp blade camp.I find most SE razors to be unnecessarily aggressive and SE blades quite thick.
A super thin DE blade properly clamped has all the rigidity needed for smooth ATG passes.

Just as the title says! I had a gloriously close shave with a Wilkinson TTO and derby premiums (4th use of same blade) with one WTG and two XTG passes. Strangely enough, it came out a lot closer than any of the ATG passes I have done during my short time wet shaving. I’m going to continue experimenting with technique, but I am not really convinced that ATG is really worth it (perhaps my stubble is too thick for an ATG pass?).

Just thought it is interesting to share with everyone that you don’t need a nerve wracking ATG pass (or expensive blades/razors) to get that BBS.

There is no "stubble too tick" if you have a good razor/blade.

Me, I couldn't imagine my shave w/o going ATG, as it'd be a job half done.

I get that different folks have different growth pattern and YMMV and all, but for MY face, the only way to get that glass smooth feel on my cheeks is to stretch the skin hard, pulling it upwards from my cheekbone (not pulling it down from my jawbone). And then I go ATG with a a slightly slicing motion. I shave mostly with a SR/Feather AC, but even when I use a DE, I always stretch the skin. Otherwise, I simply couldn't get the BBS, as there's always that sandpaper feel.

I typically don't go ATG as it always seems to tug and pull at my whiskers no matter how I adjust the blade angle. WTG and then XTG, with a touch up if needed usually gets me close enough to BBS that I don't worry about it, I'll take a tiny bit of stubble that isn't even visible over irritated skin any day.

Without going against the grain it's physically impossible to get a BBS, and in my eyes a shave without BBS is a wasted shave. Having stated that I fully respect that other people have other opinions.

I have tried multiple times to master the ATG pass. Even though I can tough it out, I always get irritation on my neck. In the end, it’s not been worth it for me to attempt. I’m sticking with my WTG/XTG shave for now. Maybe it will change in the future, but going to stick with the most comfortable for now

I have tried multiple times to master the ATG pass. Even though I can tough it out, I always get irritation on my neck. In the end, it’s not been worth it for me to attempt. I’m sticking with my WTG/XTG shave for now. Maybe it will change in the future, but going to stick with the most comfortable for now
ATG on the neck does cause some irritation. Hard to run away from it. But in other areas, I ride the cap, so that I'm cutting and not scraping. I get very good results and no irritation.
I do this too around my neck area, but you need to really take your time and practise maintaining the correct angle which can be a little difficult. Need to practice more.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

as of right now, i dont go against the grain ( side to side ) on my neck when i use a straight. the only way to differentiate, is by feel. i use to get a little irritation with a DE but after a bunch of shaves, my technique improved, and i dont get irritation. its all in the preparation for me. sometimes some preshave helps also.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Some of my shaving is ATG but only because I couldn't be bothered changing direction. The whiskers I my sideburn area grow S-N and on the rest of my cheeks N-S. Not worth changing for me with my now Elephant hide facial skin and silky whiskers.

Top Bottom