What's new

BBS (or at least pretty darn close) with no ATG pass

Do you use an ATG pass during your routine?

• Yes

Votes: 49 57.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 17.4%

• Total voters
Just as the title says! I had a gloriously close shave with a Wilkinson TTO and derby premiums (4th use of same blade) with one WTG and two XTG passes. Strangely enough, it came out a lot closer than any of the ATG passes I have done during my short time wet shaving. I’m going to continue experimenting with technique, but I am not really convinced that ATG is really worth it (perhaps my stubble is too thick for an ATG pass?).

Just thought it is interesting to share with everyone that you don’t need a nerve wracking ATG pass (or expensive blades/razors) to get that BBS.

Just as the title says! I had a gloriously close shave with a Wilkinson TTO and derby premiums (4th use of same blade) with one WTG and two XTG passes. Strangely enough, it came out a lot closer than any of the ATG passes I have done during my short time wet shaving. I’m going to continue experimenting with technique, but I am not really convinced that ATG is really worth it (perhaps my stubble is too thick for an ATG pass?).

Just thought it is interesting to share with everyone that you don’t need a nerve wracking ATG pass (or expensive blades/razors) to get that BBS.

I usually do 3 passes. With, across the grain both directions. But somehow when I use my Merkur 34C with a Russian Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless blade, I am able to go against the grain and get a BBS shave on my 3rd pass. It's a great razor and the blade is amazing. Very sharp and very smooth. Against the grain is what gives me a BBS shave.with and across usually results is a very very close shave.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I do two passes, WTG and ATG, and then a touch up. I can usually get a BBS this way. Never been able to get anything other than a SAS without going ATG.

Doesn’t feel like I’ve got the job done without an ATG pass

In fact I can’t get a decent shave that satisfies ME without 3 passes

Happy with technique and equipment just difficult to please stubble

My razors are at the more efficient end of the spectrum. Still need 3 passes no matter what

You get a close shave with good preparation, good blade and razor in the direction you shaved. So, with no ATG you will feel stubble when you feel with your fingers against the direction of growth. Therefore, BBS is only possible with an ATG pass (maybe with very light and soft beard an XTG would do).

The question is if you need to be BBS. I would say, go for comfortabel, good looking, and convinient. If a three pass shave is that for you, and you get BBS, fine. If you're more a one or two pass on an weekday morning kinda guy, that's fine too, as long as it looks good and feels good for you. And if you're suffering from PFB, you don't have much choice anyway.

But I think, there is no way of cheating. You have to decide. If you want the full monty (=BBS), you have to go ATG. If you don't want to go or can't do ATG, you have to live and learn to love the result you get.

If it were nerve wrecking I probably wouldn't do it, but I generally do an ATG followed by a XTG (actually an ATG for hairs that are contrary to the majority direction of the area). Shaving should be relaxing, not anxiety building.

Congratulations! Figuring out what works key. :thumbup: :thumbup:

For me, three passes including ATG in most areas is needed for DFS+ or better.

Strangely enough, it came out a lot closer than any of the ATG passes I have done during my short time wet shaving.

Shaving ATG is no guarantee of BBS. Comfort should be the number one priority. Closeness will follow. A genuine BBS is probably not possible without shaving ATG, but then some say BBS is overrated. ;)

Your stubble is not to thick for ATG pass, you can always do it. Rather your skin is too sensitive for comfortable ATG pass, given your stubble thickness :pipe: IMHO ATG is overrated, for me it just f****s up my skin

Generally I would say no. But today it worked out just so. Using my beloved "The Improved Eagle Razor" from Solingen, freshly honed yesterday evening, I did WTG+XTG and as I washed my face, I noticed its BBS quality. :straight:

Lately I have moved away from the ATG. WTG and XTG -> DFS is the golden mean for me. Aristotle teaches us that virtue is the golden mean between two extremes (i.e. vices).

Not even close for me. No cart, disposable or DE has ever come close to giving me a BBS shave without an ATG pass. Even when i have a BBS shave my stubble is still somewhat visible. It’s one of the reasons i started DE shaving. Just could never get a perfect shave with a cart. Even with DE it’s tough but that’s genetics for ya i guess.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My gray, barbed-wire beard grows in too many directions to not use an ATG pass. I use one everywhere except between my top lip and nose. No "fools pass" for me. ;)

Yeah, if I want BBS or even DFS, I'm going ATG on my neck. The grain keeps changing direction. So a WTG razor pull acts like all four directions at some point.

I usually shave WTG, XTG, and ATG but I will occasionally shorten that to WTG + ATG for very little difference in results. If I try WTG + XTG alone, there's a fair amount of stubble left behind.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
With a razor that holds the blade securely I generally do two passes: WTG and ATG. I have noticed in some of the areas where the hair grows a little differently that sometimes running through there XTG will help, but generally it's enough to carefully shave ATG.

Some razors with lots of blade exposure (Fasan Double Slant, Wardonia) may not be able to comfortably do ATG without first going XTG. This also holds true for some older vintage razors that may not have as effective blade clamping.

I've got a Star lather catcher that basically only works WTG. Which makes sense when you read the original instructions which say ONLY to shave WTG. I think it comes down to worn blade clips -- my Gem Junior Bar lather catcher is of approximately the same vintage (with the same instruction) but holds the blade more securely. It can't do two passes, but will give me a pretty good shave with three.

O.H.

Top Bottom