What's new

BBQ'ing less, stove grilling more...

Have only hit the coals twice this season which is about 98% less than usual. Started using a Staub grill pan over the winter and am hooked. Running it at medium/high heat on a halogen cooktop and get nice charred stripes. Did burgers the other night and they were the best ones yet, seared perfect & juicy. Does not seem to matter what I cook, from turning on the stove to serving it's ~10 minutes and sink clean-up later. I did a BBQ earlier this week and it was parity, as good as what's coming off the stove. Never thought I would be saying this.

The culprit (web pic) -

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have only hit the coals twice this season which is about 98% less than usual. Started using a Staub grill pan over the winter and am hooked. Running it at medium/high heat on a halogen cooktop and get nice charred stripes. Did burgers the other night and they were the best ones yet, seared perfect & juicy. Does not seem to matter what I cook, from turning on the stove to serving it's ~10 minutes and sink clean-up later. I did a BBQ earlier this week and it was parity, as good as what's coming off the stove. Never thought I would be saying this.

The culprit (web pic) -

proxy.php
You've sold me. We ARE going to need pictures of the food in future though my friend!

There are gas grills for us tenants in my apartment complex, but they are across the development and also an elevator ride away. No grills/hibachis allowed on my balcony.

This grill pan looks very interesting. Two questions:

1. does it get hot enough on an ordinary electric stove?
2. will the smoke overpower my standard exhaust hood fan? One thing worse than trekking cooked burgers down the halls of my building is setting off the smoke alarms.

Thanks for any info.

There are gas grills for us tenants in my apartment complex, but they are across the development and also an elevator ride away. No grills/hibachis allowed on my balcony.

This grill pan looks very interesting. Two questions:

1. does it get hot enough on an ordinary electric stove?
2. will the smoke overpower my standard exhaust hood fan? One thing worse than trekking cooked burgers down the halls of my building is setting off the smoke alarms.

Thanks for any info.

Our stove is a glass cooktop with halogen elements, basically lightbulbs so a conventional coil element should work.

It does get smoky and I keep the fan on mid or high depending on how much. Have never tripped smoke alarm in house.

My air fryer killed any desire to grill. Fast, easy, and I don't have to stand over a hot grill in 95 degrees with 99% humidity. And not to be pedantic, but...

BBQ: Cook low and slow
Grill: Cook hot and fast

Ashamed to say I have an air fryer attachment for our Instapot but have yet to try it out. We use that for pulled pork

A few points:

I don't often grill with sauce or glaze with sugar in it. A pain to clean, it turns into coal. Kabobs (chicken, pineapple, peppers & onions) are great though. I use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce thinned down with water then spend an hour the next day chipping it off.

We started out with Le Creuset and have slowly been replacing it with Staub. Hard to put my finger on it but I like Staub more. Both are ceramic over cast-iron so you cannot run them as hot as straight cast-iron. Lodge makes a nice cast-iron grill pan. My days of seasoning though are in the rearview mirror. My Wagner only sees cornbread duty these days.

Get a big grill pan if you buy one. Even if you are only doing a couple dogs a bigger circle will contain spatter better; and it will spatter. However, if on an electric stove you'll need to wait awhile for it to fully heat. I wipe a small amount of olive oil at the edge. When that just starts to smoke it's ready. And I usually turn the heat down after I've striped the meat and finish it slower.

Although I've not done it, tailgate grilling with a butane catering burner and grill pan seems totally doable. (~$15 + gas) -

proxy.php

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My air fryer killed any desire to grill. Fast, easy, and I don't have to stand over a hot grill in 95 degrees with 99% humidity. And not to be pedantic, but...

BBQ: Cook low and slow
Grill: Cook hot and fast
I love ours for reheating doggybag items, frozen french fries, and: hot dogs taste better than from the grill. Yes, I know, that is blasphemy!

2. will the smoke overpower...

When I first started using a grill pan I did not run it hot enough and did not get much smoke. Meat would be cooked thru (I do use a thermometer & double-check) and tasted OK but it was not "grilled". With more heat you get more smoke and I swear there is an actual "smokiness" in the flavor. Whether that is from the smoke coming off the pan, higher heat, or a combo I don't know.

You get the most smoke in the beginning when the heat is highest and I put stripes on. After that I drop it down to medium. It will continue to smoke for awhile because the thermal mass of the pan is large and cools down slowly. Obviously you'd need to dial all this in with your pan, stove, and meat du jour.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

The culprit (web pic) -

proxy.php

Not near as nice as your enamel one, but SWMBO picked up this cast iron one awhile back. We've only cooked burgers in it but it turned out nice grill marks.

1623947539930.png

The culprit (web pic) -

proxy.php
Cooked salmon on mine last night, four minutes skin side two minutes on flip, always perfect.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Not near as nice as your enamel one, but SWMBO picked up this cast iron one awhile back. We've only cooked burgers in it but it turned out nice grill marks.

If I find a clean one like that at a yard sale this year I will pick it up for steaks. Not sure you could pull off a really thick steak on my pan. Somewhat limiting with but fine for nearly everything else.

Top Bottom