What's new

BBQ Squid: Ready go!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't BBQ'ed a squid, but I've made fried calamari. I wouldn't even know where to start other than maybe marinate it and grill it hot and as fast as possible.

Last edited:
I've had grilled squid in an Italian restaurant. I think it was just coated in olive oil and quickly grilled over high heat. It was delicious.

I've also had grilled squid at a Thai place served with some kind of sweet chili relish. I wish I could remember more about it but it was a long time ago.

Good luck, however you decide to do it!

The Japanese style -- ikayaki -- is a good way to go. Sake, ginger, soy sauce, maybe a couple of other thbings are in the marinade.

This sounds great. A mesh basket might help if the calamari are small. It's easy to remove them all from the heat that way. Finish with a sauce of lemon olive oil, parsley, and a bit of garlic. Classic!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Any recipes or tips regarding trying my hand at preparing squid for the first time?
Talon:
Fresh is the way to go...if possible. You can have your fishmonger clean them or will you clean them yourself (thus saving money)
proxy.php

$Fishmonger - 1.jpg[FONT=&quot]“Child, there's a sayin' every fishmonger has. When you buy land, you buy stones. When you buy fish, you buy bones”. Karen Cecil Smith, Pillow of Thorns[/FONT]

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Squid is one of those proteins that needs either a very short or very long cook time. Anything in between is tough.

A quick 30 second flash is often enough to render a tender product. After that, it will toughen up until it's cooked for at least another half hours. I'd go the quick route.

Thanks all! I think I'm going to try the Japanese way.
Now to find a time when my friends and I are all available at the same time...
I'll take pics and post when it happens though!

Top Bottom