What's new

Bay rum

I picked this up recently. My question is, with such an old specimen of bay rum should I do anything to it before use?

I tried to do more research on this stuff but my finding were limited to bay rums as a broad topic.

Maybe shake it up. It looks kind of old, but with all the alcohol in there I don't think you'd have to worry about it being spoiled.

The label looks a lot like the label used currently on Dominica Bay Rum.

Don

I think you should send it to me. It may require some serious testing to make sure it is OK. I'll probably finish testing it in a couple of years!:thumbup:
Good find!

I snagged a bottle of 1878 Yardley Old English lavender water on ebay. It is now in my curio cabinet. If yours is a true antique, maybe you should consider doing the same. Mine came in a wicker covered bottle with a lead foil protective cove over the cork. I can smell the scent right through it. It smell just like one made recently. I'm sure the cork has deteriorated in that time, but the bottle is full.

I snagged a bottle of 1878 Yardley Old English lavender water on ebay. It is now in my curio cabinet. If yours is a true antique, maybe you should consider doing the same. Mine came in a wicker covered bottle with a lead foil protective cove over the cork. I can smell the scent right through it. It smell just like one made recently. I'm sure the cork has deteriorated in that time, but the bottle is full.

What's a curio cabinet? Is that where you out stuff to cherish and never use? My philosophy is buy it to use it. Like when I went to Scotland I bought a souvenir bottle of rare scotch. I decided that I'll only be alive once and I might as well drink it.

My bay rum has the lead seal as well. It's definitely old but I'm no expert. I'll probably crack it open today or tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Top Bottom