What's new

Bay Rum Scent?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
+1 on Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Nice pure Bay Rum scent. It comes in Soap, AS, ASB, and now cream. Co9T is a the same Bay Rum with some heat added to it. Some of us have tested the Captain's new Bay Rum cologne, but don't know if it's out yet. Also, his price points are good as are all of his products.
If you are looking for an $$$ Bay Rum, the try St John's Bay.

Mikey
I was one of the lucky testers! Loved it.

I tried Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum, but found it to be too "clovey" and I wasn't keen on the burning sensation

I've got 2 in my rotation that are IMHO both good, but poles apart and neither of them burn...

Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum - subtle, slightly sweetish scent soothes irritation and weepers
Suavecito Bay Rum - stronger, slightly clovey scent, soothes without burning

Gracious me. There seems to be more Bay Rums than Sandalwoods! Still waiting on my Captain's Choice BR to come in. That Ogallala's seems intriquing, as all, and then I saw Barberry Coast (catchy name) Wonder if it vs Captain's Choice vs Ogallala are as different as Pepsi vs Coke vs Dr. Pepper?

Last edited:
Gracious me. There seems to be more Bay Rums than Sandalwoods! Still waiting on my Captain's Choice BR to come in. That Ogallala's seems intriquing, as all, and then I saw Barberry Coast (catchy name) Wonder if it vs Captain's Choice vs Ogallala are as different as Pepsi vs Coke vs Dr. Pepper?

Are there a lot of Sandalwood aftershave splashes? I'm only aware of two. There are tons of Bay Rums out there. We've not come close to listing them all. And most of them are quite different from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That is an aftershave...that Superior 70??
An aftershave, and so much more. It's awesome on bug bites in the summer, itchy dry skin in the winter, and pretty much any other skin irritation. Don't be fooled by the humble packaging. S70 is amazing stuff! And it smells great too.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Are there a lot of Sandalwood aftershave splashes? I'm only aware of two. There are tons of Bay Rums out there. We've not come close to listing them all. And most of them are quite different from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, the 3 T's and DR Harris all do a Sandalwood. And of course you've got Stirling, CC, and probably a few other artisans. And don't forget Proraso Red. Oh, Proraso Red is divine, but I digress...

I think the above Bay Rummies have explained it. In its simplest form "Bay Rum" would smell like Bay Tree Oil, and the closest "Bay Rum" to that is Superior 70 which is hard to find. The real issue though is... asking what a "Bay Rum" aftershave or soap smells like is like asking what spaghetti sauce smells like. Not all bay rum products smell the same. They all contain bay tree oil, alcohol, and then a variety of spices like cinnamon and clove.

The suggestions above are all good places to start testing great bay rums. Enjoy!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I like Pinaud Bay Rum a lot better than Superior 70 so I guess that means I don't like traditional Bay Rum. :)

No worries @seattleshaver. Many had never even heard of Superior 70 until I introduced it in the forum years ago, after finding it hiding in the medicinal / ethnic section at one of my local Walgreens, when I first started mixing up Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

And while I really like the authentic bay oil in S70 for mixing, I will probably never use it alone myself. Really cool though, how popular it has become with members since that time.

I tried out Barrister & Mann Bay Rum and it wasnt for me even though i thought i might like the scent profile. Hard to describe. Maybe try sampling if you arent sure.

I am a big fan of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, regular and Lime versions. I actually like the 3 individual Bay Rum components on their own, too, but the mixture is greater than the sum of its parts.
The Superior 70 was new to me, and I have found that a little splash is a nice refresher.

Will check that Bootleggers out. Got my Ogallala sample pack. NOW I remember that scent. Smells like egg nog. My Captain's Choice BR was evidently lost in the mail.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I am a big fan of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, regular and Lime versions. I actually like the 3 individual Bay Rum components on their own, too, but the mixture is greater than the sum of its parts.
The Superior 70 was new to me, and I have found that a little splash is a nice refresher.

Yes it is. :)

I am a big fan of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum, regular and Lime versions.

This makes it all worth it for me.

It's helpful to get opinions, but only you can answer your questions. Walk into a store where it's sold, removed the cap, and sniff. Everyone's nose and brain is different.

Superior 70... my grandma used to give me "baths" with it to get rid of minor colds. My grandpa used it to rub his hurting joints and bring some relief. It was used warm and with a towel wrapped around the head, to get rid of lice. Having said all that, heck no, not an after shave for me!

Un sobo con alcoholado...

Top Bottom