What's new

Bay Rum Scent?

I really like Master Bay Rum. As someone said, it does seem to have a lot of glycerine in it (even though it is not in the ingredients list on my bottle) and may seem sticky the first time around, but i've really come to like the scent and it's moisturizing properties. I also snagged 4 bottles on super-sale a while ago for $3 a pop, so that didn't hurt either :)

Bay Rum says to me: bay leaf, heavy clove, cinnamon. A bit like that dental emergency filling stuff, eugenol

Superior 70... my grandma used to give me "baths" with it to get rid of minor colds. My grandpa used it to rub his hurting joints and bring some relief. It was used warm and with a towel wrapped around the head, to get rid of lice. Having said all that, heck no, not an after shave for me!

IMO if someone doesn't like Superior 70 Bay Rum, then you don't like Bay Rum period. Then why are you on this thread about Bay Rum?

I have many friends from Puerto Rico who grew up with Superior 70 as a household "cure all" and all purpose toiletry. Perhaps those associations with ailments tainted the product as part of the wet shavers pampering ritual. Most of my acquaintances do use it as an after shave, but have told me some amazing tales on the usage of Superior 70, toilet bowl cleaning being one of them.

Heh, sample pack had some I didn't want.
Pffft, they didn't have North Splash on Amzn. . . so bought their cream. Holy Mad Trapper, I'm going to be shaving twice a day now.
I buy it right from the source. The Captain sells all his stuff on his own website.
I really like Master Bay Rum. As someone said, it does seem to have a lot of glycerine in it (even though it is not in the ingredients list on my bottle)
Yeah, they changed their label a few years ago, and removed glycerine from the list. But we asked them, and they said the formula did not change. When asked about the label, they didn't respond.....

IMO if someone doesn't like Superior 70 Bay Rum, then you don't like Bay Rum period. Then why are you on this thread about Bay Rum?

I thought it was some interesting backstory. And it was a direct answer to the OPs question, "is that an aftershave?" But you can certainly like bay rums, but have an aversion to a certain brand. I like whiskey, but can't stand Southern Comfort because of an "incident". Same difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Superior 70 Bay Rum are very similar. I found Captain's Choice to be just little too strong, so I took a bottle of C.C. and Superior and mixed them together. I find that to be my favorite Bay Rum.
A full bottle of each mixed.

I don't have any Bay Rum scented product, right until now i didn't even knew how it smells. When I saw the Superior 70 and it being bay rum (for me, growing up, was nothing but a home remedy for stuff and yes, toilet refresher), I wanted to throw in my opinion. That is why I was on this thread...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I don't have any Bay Rum scented product, right until now i didn't even knew how it smells. When I saw the Superior 70 and it being bay rum (for me, growing up, was nothing but a home remedy for stuff and yes, toilet refresher), I wanted to throw in my opinion. That is why I was on this thread...
Egads! There is a special place to post about toilet cleaning! lol! Everyone play nice....

FarmerTan

My all time favorite is some vintage Avon bay rum. Smells like a man from 1960 headed out the door on a first date!

Yeah, they changed their label a few years ago, and removed glycerine from the list. But we asked them, and they said the formula did not change. When asked about the label, they didn't respond.....

Now that you mention it, i think I remember reading that a while ago.

To me Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Superior 70 Bay Rum are very similar. I found Captain's Choice to be just little too strong, so I took a bottle of C.C. and Superior and mixed them together. I find that to be my favorite Bay Rum.
A full bottle of each mixed.

Superior 70 works very well in mixing. That sounds great.

FarmerTan

I REALLY need to do some of that bay rum mixology that the Vez and Okie do. Sounds like fun....But then if I hate it I'm stuck with half a gallon of toilet freshener, lol.

I REALLY need to do some of that bay rum mixology that the Vez and Okie do. Sounds like fun....But then if I hate it I'm stuck with half a gallon of toilet freshener, lol.

When mixing, you only mix up small quantities to start. Just enough to last a few shaves to see how it goes. If you like it, mix up more!

FarmerTan

Spider-Man, thanks for saving me money! ADD stinks! I truly never would have thought of doing it that way. Hey on a side note: did some mixing of old Avon today right on my face, and it was awesome. Used bay rum, followed up with spicy. The War Department even liked it!

+1 on Captain's Choice Bay Rum. Nice pure Bay Rum scent. It comes in Soap, AS, ASB, and now cream. Co9T is a the same Bay Rum with some heat added to it. Some of us have tested the Captain's new Bay Rum cologne, but don't know if it's out yet. Also, his price points are good as are all of his products.
If you are looking for an $$$ Bay Rum, the try St John's Bay.

Mikey

Top Bottom