What's new

Bay Rum recommendation

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Avon Spicy will impress, maybe more than vintage Old Spice. Maybe. It does for me. Island Lime was one of my firsts. It's okay for me now.

But the Bay Rum..... The first time I smelled it I thought I smelled like an old man! Now I doubt I have ever smelled a better one. It will make you want to go in the bathroom just to smell it, lol.

I like the Spanish alcoholados like Superior 70. Real bay oil is so complex it doesn't need anything else with it. Other bay rums are very much chemical smelling in comparison, I doubt they have real bay oil, since eugenol and eucalyptol in various combinations can easily fake the smell of bay oil.

I actually think Lustray's bay rum is one of the better ones in terms of being creations of the chemists flask. Clubman's is very monotone and in your face, in comparison.

I just picked up a bottle of Pinaud VIBR and used it this morning. It has a nice bay rum scent and feels good going on. However, the scent is gone in 15 minutes.

I just picked up a bottle of Pinaud VIBR and used it this morning. It has a nice bay rum scent and feels good going on. However, the scent is gone in 15 minutes.

I think that's typical of bay rum in general. There's not alot of heavy fixatives or basenotes. Superior 70 contains pimento (bay) oil and seems to last for about an hour before it's so faint you don't notice it.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

My experience with using Pinaud VIBR is...no scent at all within 5 minutes. And that's even splashing a good amount on my shirt.

If you like Pinaud VIBR and want longevity, check out the Bootlegger's mix. Recipe is posted throughout the forums. I think you'll be glad you did.

JCarr

Avon Spicy will impress, maybe more than vintage Old Spice. Maybe. It does for me. Island Lime was one of my firsts. It's okay for me now.

But the Bay Rum..... The first time I smelled it I thought I smelled like an old man! Now I doubt I have ever smelled a better one. It will make you want to go in the bathroom just to smell it, lol.

That's hilarious!

Thanks for the post.

Avon bay rum is awesomeness in a bottle or book !
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard Knightsbridge Bay Rum cream be spoken of as “not a traditional Bay Rum scent.” Which is hilarious, because it smells only of rum and Bay leaves, not allspice. (*Ahem*.....Pinaud). If they make an aftershave, snap it up!

I’ve heard Knightsbridge Bay Rum cream be spoken of as “not a traditional Bay Rum scent.” Which is hilarious, because it smells only of rum and Bay leaves, not allspice. (*Ahem*.....Pinaud). If they make an aftershave, snap it up!

In Jamaica they actually do use allspice ("pimento") in rubbing alcohol, along with bay. It's suppossed to be great stuff for your hair.

Pinaud's Bay Rum is more of a conventional cologne fragrance, thoroughly synthetic. It has better longevity than real bay rubbing alcohol. But it's not medicinal like the real thing. In fact I'd say as far as aftershaves go, it's probably got to rank up there with some of the worst things you could use.

Last edited:

JCarr

Received it today. Very hard to describe... probably the most.. « cinnamony » splash I used so far.. the citrus hint is less intrusive than the Barberry Coast (which used to be my favorite...) Great balance, at least for my personal taste.
The scent lasts for a fair amount of time and the skin feels great!
Overall, you either love it or hate it guts. I love it to bits! It has become my favourite Bay Rum so far. If you’re a fan of cinnamon, do not hesitate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I agree! This a good one!

One question...about Barberry Coast...last time I bought a bottle of this was several years ago. It was practically odorless. You found it to be more citrusy than Barrister & Mann?

Top Bottom