What's new

Bay Rum Problem

I just picked up my first bottle of bay rum AS, Maker's Bay Rum.

Is this stuff supposed to smell like a dentist's office? I want to try Clubman Bay Rum but if it's anything like this stuff I'm going to have to pass on it.

Help me out, I hear great stuff about Bay Rum and I don't want to give up the quest just yet.

:blink:

I just picked up my first bottle of bay rum AS, Maker's Bay Rum.

Is this stuff supposed to smell like a dentist's office? I want to try Clubman Bay Rum but if it's anything like this stuff I'm going to have to pass on it.

Help me out, I hear great stuff about Bay Rum and I don't want to give up the quest just yet.

:blink:
Pinaud Bay Rum is a great scent IMO. Not dentist office at all.

I don't know what Makers smell like, but if you want to smell the textbook definition of "Bay Rum" I suggest you get a bottle of Dominica or Body Crystal bay rum. If you have a whole foods nearby or some other kind of larger organic market they sometimes carry them. (They're susally in larger cities-- I can't tell where you are-- you should fill out your profile and make a hall of fame post!)
Try a bottle of those and see what you think.

I don't know what Makers smell like, but if you want to smell the textbook definition of "Bay Rum" I suggest you get a bottle of Dominica or Body Crystal bay rum. If you have a whole foods nearby or some other kind of larger organic market they sometimes carry them. (They're susally in larger cities-- I can't tell where you are-- you should fill out your profile and make a hall of fame post!)
Try a bottle of those and see what you think.

Yeah I've had my eye on that Dominica bay rum also. Makers smells a lot like a dentist office. I put some on and that was my first thought. My girl smelled my neck and before I could say anything she said the same thing.

:lol:

To anybody who has a Bath and Body works nearby:

The C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum aftershave is half off right now. I didn't really like it when I first put it on, but about 5 minutes later when I was walking through the store, the citrus dies down a bit and it became this smokey, woody, dry bay rum scent that was fabulous! I think I might go back and get the cologne at some point, but as it is, I bought 2 BR aftershaves for $8 total, after the 50% off and the coupon I had that was "Get and C.O. Bigelow product free when you spend $10 or more in the store (up to $12 price)."

Man, good find! The OP should go get some... my girlfriend couldn't stop putting her nose in my neck.

... then again, the younger couple that was right next to us when I was looking at it, the girl said "eww, it smells like my grandpa!" and the boy laughed and walked away.

My grandpa was an awesome guy-- I would have taken that as a compliment.

Come to think of it, my dentist's office does have somewhat of a clove "note" thing happening...

Ya know what I mean (best Seinfeld voice)? I mean what is with this clove "note" thing happening?

Maker's is dead on what ever they use as a freshener. Or maybe it's the tooth dust mixed with all the novocaine and laughing gas? For crying out loud I'm scared to death of going to the Dentist's office, you think I need to go around town everyday thinking one is lurking over my shoulder with a pair of pliers and a drill?

:tongue_sm

Ya know what I mean (best Seinfeld voice)? I mean what is with this clove "note" thing happening?
Maker's is dead on what ever they use as a freshener. Or maybe it's the tooth dust mixed with all the novocaine and laughing gas? For crying out loud I'm scared to death of going to the Dentist's office, you think I need to go around town everyday thinking one is lurking over my shoulder with a pair of pliers and a drill?

:tongue_sm

What's the deal with dentists' offices? I mean, you've got offices, dentists, and cloves...it was only a matter of time before they found each other..."and just where do you think you've been?!?"

Walgreens has the Pinaud Bay Rum on clearance currently, 12 oz. for $3.39. You won't be out much if you don't like it.

If I had to choose between the Dominica and Pinaud bay rums, I'd probably go with the Dominica - a bit more "nuanced" (nothing compares with the burn you get from the Pinaud, though). A friend of mine used to buy the Dominica from the J. Peterman catalog years and years ago (way pre-Seinfeld) and it always seemed so exotic. We used to drench ourselves in the stuff and hit the town... good times... :001_smile

A friend of mine used to buy the Dominica from the J. Peterman catalog years and years ago (way pre-Seinfeld) and it always seemed so exotic. We used to drench ourselves in the stuff and hit the town... good times... :001_smile

I think you told me a little more than I cared to know about you and your friends adventures with the Dominica but hey what ever floats yer boat I ya know what I mean. :tongue_sm

Seriously, has anyone "drenched" themselves with St. John's Bay Rum? Is it a cologne or an aftershave (both?)?

A friend of mine used to buy the Dominica from the J. Peterman catalog years and years ago (way pre-Seinfeld) and it always seemed so exotic. We used to drench ourselves in the stuff and hit the town... good times... :001_smile

Same here! I've used the stuff on and off ever since, albeit in greater moderation. In fact, my search for an alternative source (when Peterman sort of disappeared, and C-A Trading's direct sales were spotty) is what got me interested in trying DE shaving again -- I came across classic shaving as the new source, and found myself loading up on all sorts of things...

I think you told me a little more than I cared to know about you and your friends adventures with the Dominica but hey what ever floats yer boat I ya know what I mean. :tongue_sm

Seriously, has anyone "drenched" themselves with St. John's Bay Rum? Is it a cologne or an aftershave (both?)?

With the big mouth on the Dominica bottle, you have no choice BUT to drench yourself! Get ready to smell like a drunken pirate. :001_smile

Always used it as a cologne myself, the botanicals/alcohol combine to burn like a @!(*!&*$ when used as an aftershave.

The Dominica is probably the purest form of Bay Rum you'll find. The Pinaud is OK but its not really a Bay Rum more of a Cinammon scent to it.

Top Bottom