What's new

Bay Rum options?

OK, my wife loves the Pinaud bay rum on me. When I ran out a while back and could find none locally. She was upset and we found some on line.

So this leads me to the question, what is a nice bay rum other that is not to expensive and is awesome? Then what is the high end bay rum options?

I am ok keeping with tradition but would like to mix it up a bit. I need to make an order for a big chunk of alum soon so advice is needed if I can add some thing new to my scent.

Thanks in advance,

Buster

Master's Bay Rum from Sally's Beauty Supply is a good one. That and Pinaud are the only two BRs I'm familiar with. Although I have my eye on some Dominica Lime Bay Rum. You might also consider Captain's Choice and Ogallala Bay Rum.

I love Bay Rum. Master's from Sally's is about the only BR available widely where I live si online vendors is the only way to go for variety. The Pinaud Virgin Island BR is too clovey or spicy for me so I cut it 50/50 with masters from Sally Beauty Supply ($6?), some here call the cocktail PinMaster. Others have suggested "Bootleggers bay Rum", another cocktial of PVIBR, Masters, and Superior BR. If you are ordering try Ogallala, Domenica, and Captain's Choice (a vendor here) is the gold standard.

Captains Choice is, in my opinion, the only clear choice for BR. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, get the Cat 'O Nine Tails version and see if that does not wake you up in the morning!

I rotate the 2 Captain's Choice BR aftershaves with the 4 Ogallala BR (6 if you count the colognes). These are my favorite aftershaves for scent and soothing powers. The scents are great (Ogallala is more clove-like), but nowhere near as strong or long lasting as Pinaud.

I sometimes use a mix of Pinaud BR, Masters BR and Superior 70 BR on days I don't shave. By themselves, I find Pinaud is too strong, Masters too tacky and Superior too bleh, but they are not bad when mixed together.

Captain's Choice and the new Ogallala BR with Sage & Cedar are my favorite bay rum splashes.
I'm still trying to find a balm to replace the discontinued Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm. I used Burt Bees for over 10 years and I'm still looking!

Captain's Choice and the new Ogallala BR with Sage & Cedar are my favorite bay rum splashes.
I'm still trying to find a balm to replace the discontinued Burt's Bees Bay Rum Balm. I used Burt Bees for over 10 years and I'm still looking!

QCS will make a bottle of their excellent balm for you in any of their scents. Maybe get some in Cayman?

QCS will make a bottle of their excellent balm for you in any of their scents. Maybe get some in Cayman?

I really like QCS Cayman and their signature Queen Charlotte scent. They are excellent balms; the Cayman is close but, doesn't quite smell like Burt's Bees. I'm still looking!

Last edited:
Aubrey Organics Spice Island line is a bay rum scent with a little spice added to it. I have used the splash and the balm and the splash is my fav. The scent is nice and is fairly underrated around here in my opinion.

there are some beautiful looking homemade bay rums on etsy, but i can't really vouch for their quality. i think i'd prefer to make my own before i'd
risk paying $25.00 to some stranger for theirs...

i suppose this is not the most helpful reply in the world. sorry about this.

Top Bottom