What's new

Bay rum I guess the clove scent is not for me

Never tried a bay rum scented soap so I ordered a sample from one of my favourite soap makers (stirling)
Good thing I ordered just a sample the clove smell is definitely not for me 😜
20200811_143334.jpg

Right there with you! The only bay rum I ordered was a hard no for me. I PIF'ed it and felt bad about it.

Clove is a significant irritant for my skin. I tried Ogalala bay rum soap and it felt like I had splashed gasoline on my face. I would not even risk using it in the shower.

Not all bay rum scents contain clove. I love the Bay Rum from Captain's Choice that uses cinnamon rather than clove. I am also sensitive to cinnamon, but the amount of cinnamon in CC is not high enough to create a problem for me. Thus, do not give up on Bay Rum just because you do not like clove.

An interesting variation of a traditional bay rum is West Indies by Tallow & Steel. It is largely an orange scent, but it contains allspice and bay. (no clove)

Eugenol in cloves can be very irritating if you're sensitive to it. And in large quantities it can be toxic.

Personally, I fricking LOVE the scent of cloves. But it is a little bit harsher on my rather sensitive skin.

Eugenol in cloves can be very irritating if you're sensitive to it. And in large quantities it can be toxic.

Personally, I fricking LOVE the scent of cloves. But it is a little bit harsher on my rather sensitive skin.

I love the smell of cloves and use it in cooking. I just cannot tolerate it on my face.

I second the PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum if you want something that doesn't seem to irritate the skin. I liked it so much that I bought the bath soap and shampoo bars.

i dont like most bay rums with the heavy clove/cinnamon etc , however, i really like Captains Choice Lime which is a citrus Bay Rum. I'm more of a summer "island" bay rum fan where there is a significant citrus element.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you want a 'clove-less' Bay Rum, I would check out PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum. They pride themselves on a dynamite 'clove-less' Bay Rum experience. It's well-liked by a lot of forum members.

I do not care for the clove in most Bay Rum soaps. Mystic Water has a Bay Rum that has no clove stink. I like it a lot.

I’m sure Bay Rum purists would say that it’s not Bay Rum. Her samples are worth checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not care for the clove in most Bay Rum soaps. Mystic Water has a Bay Rum that has no clove stink. I like it a lot.

I’m sure Bay Rum purists would say that it’s not Bay Rum. Her samples are worth checking it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I like bay rum that isn't heavy on cloves. Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum smells so clovey that I end up smelling like baked ham. Captain's Choice is my favorite modern day bay rum scent. Master's Bay Rum aftershave is nice, and Col Conk is the mildest bay rum out there.

As a child i really hated cloves because i always associated it with pain. Old home remedy was to use cloves for a toothache. It does work but not very well. Bourbon is better :a16:

Last edited:
Never tried a bay rum scented soap so I ordered a sample from one of my favourite soap makers (stirling)
Good thing I ordered just a sample the clove smell is definitely not for me 😜

+1.
Since the original Stirling Soap Bay Rum was a bit to much on the clove-driven side for my liking a tried to mix/blend some other Stirling Soaps with the Bay Rum which I already had in my den.

Finally, my mixture of choice was (ratio: 1/3 each): Bay Rum + Orange Chill +Gin Tonic.
Scentwise I really enjoy this mix since the citrus notes (orange and lime) add some extra complexity to the spicy scents. The menthol works super nice in this mix as well and - that was the main goal - the scent of the clove is not that strong anymore... maybe you just have to buy some more Stirling samples. (I guess you already expected this standard advise on B&B :w00t:)

As an alternative you could get some Phoenix & Beau "Imperial Rum" (nice clove-free but different take on "bay rum"); there are samples available, too.

I don't absolutely hate clove but I got a stirling sample as well and that's all I smell is clove. It says orange nutmeg and cinnamon on the website with a hint of clove. I'm not smelling those other notes, but I haven't tried it yet in case lathering brings some of the scent out.

I may be in the minority, but I *love* clove-heavy bay rums. Ogallala is my jam. I even use the double strength version of their cologne. Burns like hellfire, but smells soooooo good... The burn reminds me I’m alive.
Their Bay Rum & Sandalwood is one of my favorites. Loved the scent of the shave soap so much I bought the bath soap.

Top Bottom