What's new

Bay Rum Deo

I admit. I am a bit of a bay rum fanatic. While reading just about everything I can get my hands on regarding its storied history, I stumbled upon an article suggesting bay rum can be used as an underarm deo. Today I splashed some West Indies bay rum under my arms, much in the same manner I apply after shave. I was very impressed how well it held up. The scent fades quickly, but late in the day it is still masking body odor. Tomorrow I am going to try Superior 70 and the next will be Dominica. It does nothing for sweat, but I have never used antiperspirants so the difference is unremarkable in my case.

Interesting. I do use antiperspirant, but I usually use the unscented kind and sometimes combine it with something else, usually Clubman powder. I think I'll try it with some bay rum next time I decide to use a bay rum aftershave.

A lot of people use those unscented crystal deodorant things, and then apply cologne or aftershave for scent. It doesn't work for me but seems to work for plenty of guys here.

My current aftershave is a bay rum scent (Aubrey Spice Island) and I always splash a little under the arms. But I use a regular deodorant under that for good luck.

We're going down to Los Angeles in a week or so to visit our daughter. I think I'll try to pick up some Superior 70 there.

Last edited:
It was 90 degrees today and I smell like a Pirate.

Like this Pirate.

$iu-2.jpeg

Back to the drawing board.

There are a few people selling homemade deodorants on eBay in bay rum scent. I've tried some and they work great but can get kinda pricey when you figure in shipping.

It was 90 degrees today and I smell like a Pirate.

Like this Pirate.

Back to the drawing board.

You are a far braver man than me, Tony. I absolutely, positively, steadfastly, irrefutably, and doggedly REFUSE to experiment with deodorants after my last big failure, which had occurred one hour into my work shift on one horrifying morning.

Don

You are a far braver man than me, Tony. I absolutely, positively, steadfastly, irrefutably, and doggedly REFUSE to experiment with deodorants after my last big failure, which had occurred one hour into my work shift on one horrifying morning.

Don

:lol:

Don
Yep. Same here. Tom's of Maine and those Thai "Cystal" alum deo things both failed completely on me within a few hours. Embarrassing. Regular grocery store deodorant/AP sticks work perfectly for me. I'll stick with them, when the alternative is smelling like a sweat-infused hamburger within 4 hours.:blush:

Yep. Same here. Tom's of Maine and those Thai "Cystal" alum deo things both failed completely on me within a few hours. Embarrassing. Regular grocery store deodorant/AP sticks work perfectly for me. I'll stick with them, when the alternative is smelling like a sweat-infused hamburger within 4 hours.:blush:

Dear Lord, I might be off hamburger for a while!

Don

I have some of the Ogallala Bay Rum Deodorant. What I usually do is rub my alum bar on first, then the deodorant, then spray aftershave on. Seems to work for me.

Top Bottom