What's new

Bay Rum...best🤔

i think every brand on the market(by the looks of it) do one version or another of Bay Rum, i haven't tried any Bay Rum products as yet, reading various posts though you either love it or hate it, i know everyone(if they like it at all) will have a preference to which is best, but for someone like myself who hasn't tried it, what Bay Rum soap would be the most popular for a first time purchase, cheers all😉

Sir bluesparkuk, indeed, bay rum is popular, more so in the Americas than Europe, I believe.
As you conjectured, there's lots of variations from many makers.
Shipping aside, I'd actually suggest that you try from one of the US artisans.
I happen to like Mike's version, which is tallow-based.
I got several of his samples and they are especially handy when traveling.

mike's plisson gillette june 18 24 2019.jpg

Have a look at Executive Shaving Company shipping out of Glasgow
they do their own brand Bay Rum. Now it is a Cream not a Soap and it’s luxurious. Rich slick and lathers like a beast.

Now on the flip side, bay rum IS a polarising sent and frankly while I LOVE the cream I’m not that keen on the price

Last time I looked it was about £18 for a 200 ml pot and the shipping’s local

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're in Scotland, should we recommend only Bay Rum's that are readily available in Europe? My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Scotland...beautiful place!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My favorite Bay Rum soaps are:

Barrister and Mann Bay Rum
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum
Chiseled Face Bay Rum
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny

Not sure if any of those are easily obtained in the UK though. Phoenix and Beau make a Bay Rum I see being used by some B&B members. Perhaps someone can comment. Fairly certain that one is made in the UK.

they do their own brand Bay Rum. Now it is a Cream not a Soap and it’s luxurious. Rich slick and lathers like a beast.

Now on the flip side, bay rum IS a polarising sent and frankly while I LOVE the cream I’m not that keen on the price

fortunately I'm about 20 minutes drive from Exec shaving, I'll maybe take a drive over at some point and have a sniff👃😁

fortunately I'm about 20 minutes drive from Exec shaving, I'll maybe take a drive over at some point and have a sniff👃😁
If you're in Scotland, should we recommend only Bay Rum's that are readily available in Europe? My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Scotland...beautiful place!
I'm glad you both enjoyed Scotland, we have some wonderful scenery up the West coast👍🏼

Chiseled Face Bay Rum
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny

Not sure if any of those are easily obtained in the UK though. Phoenix and Beau make a Bay Rum I see being used by some B&B members. Perhaps someone can comment. Fairly certain that one is made in the UK.
i know Barrister & Mann are available here as i already have a couple of their soaps and i think PAA are too, i just got Phoenix & Beau Spitfire a few days ago too👍🏼😁, unsure if the others are🤔

Sir bluesparkuk, indeed, bay rum is popular, more so in the Americas than Europe, I believe.
As you conjectured, there's lots of variations from many makers.
Shipping aside, I'd actually suggest that you try from one of the US artisans.
I happen to like Mike's version, which is tallow-based.
I got several of his samples and they are especially handy when traveling.

View attachment 1178840
+1 for Mikes. Great soaps all around and a lovely bay rum.

had a look online, Mikes seems to be out of Stock in a lot of places, although i found it on a Canadian site and they ship to UK for quite a reasonable price 👍🏼
It’s bloody good soap. Performance is outstanding. Mike is the original artisan and he knows what he’s doing. The Barber Shop scent is my favorite but Bay Rum is good too. A nice winter scent. It’s worth getting the plastic tub but he also sells loose pucks also. It’s a firm soap. Not triple milled hard but still a hard soap.

Last edited:
Mike's soap is excellent, I've been a fan of his orange, cedar, and black pepper (that's one scent) for years; can't comment on his bay rum, though.

I'll second Captain's Choice, which is probably my favorite bay rum scent. I haven't tried their soap (I hear nothing but good things, and I really liked it when RazoRock made it for them), but love the aftershave.

My 1st introduction to Bayrum was thru Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay 2oz sample....it was love at 1st use...just simply amazing scent!
Then came OSP Bayrum from a UK forum member...and it was even more amazing....the scent fills up the room...performance was super...!
Next was Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum....performance wise was good but scent was a bit mild.
20201107_115105.jpg

Regarding the Phoenix & Beau Spitfire...I love the unique scent and performance too...too bad unable to get the AS shipped to my place...
20201107_115140.jpg

@bluesparkuk how do you like the Spitfire?

If you don't mind clove being included in the scent profike I may point you to Stirling Soap BayRum. Excellent(!) soap and available in the UK as well (via shavingtime)...

Chiseled Face Bay Rum
Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny

Is any of the soaps you mentioned without clove in its scent profile?

My 1st introduction to Bayrum was thru Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay 2oz sample....it was love at 1st use...just simply amazing scent!
Then came OSP Bayrum from a UK forum member...and it was even more amazing....the scent fills up the room...performance was super...!
Next was Phoenix & Beau Imperial Rum....performance wise was good but scent was a bit mild.
View attachment 1179102

Regarding the Phoenix & Beau Spitfire...I love the unique scent and performance too...too bad unable to get the AS shipped to my place...
View attachment 1179103
@bluesparkuk how do you like the Spitfire?
haven't used it yet, but I'll use it today or tomorrow and get back to you👍🏼😁

Top Bottom