What's new

Bay Rum alternative

If you can find it, Humco Bay Rum aftershave.

It just bay leaf oil and alcohol. One of my favorites.
I'm not sure that would work for me as that sounds exactly like the reason I'm not liking the VIBR. All I seem to smell is the Bay leaf and not enough rum and spices!!

I did receive the samples yesterday from @OkieStubble ... Thanks again. I will put the Bootleggers to the test with this mornings shave.

Today's shave ended with the sample that was labeled "Original Bay Rum" which I am guessing was the Bootleggers and though it has a better scent than the VIBR, it had a very medicinal scent to it. Still a little more bay leafy than what the Stirling was but so far the staying power of the original is much better than VIBR... I think for tomorrow I will try the Lime Bay Rum as it has an interesting scent. Something about the lime that is intriguing to me. Stirling MITA is also one of my favorites and I know that lime is the heavy hitter in that one.

After a trip to the spice rack this morning I learned what is so different now...nutmeg... That is what seems to be the one of the ingredients that is missing in the others and what, I think, sets Stirling apart from the others and what I'm looking for. The search continues but at this point I'm thinking that a bottle or two will make it into my cart over at Stirling this week!!

Stirlings description on their site...
Scent Description

Our take on the classic Bay Rum scent. Bay West Indies (Pimenta Racemosa) essential oil is blended with Orange, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, and a hint of Clove to provide a very complex and masculine aroma.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Today's shave ended with the sample that was labeled "Original Bay Rum" which I am guessing was the Bootleggers

All three of the samples I sent you are Bootlegger's @muzichead not just the Original Bay Rum. Bootlegger's is an unofficial brand of a series of aftershaves, called the Bootlegger's Series. The Original Bay Rum, The Lime Bay Rum and The Perfecto Bay Rum you received, are all Bootlegger's Bay Rums.

The Original is a traditional bay rum with bay, clove & spice. The Lime has the addition of a bright, pezzy, soda pop lime. And the Perfecto, has notes of orange citrus and tobacco.

I'm thinking, the medicinal you smelled, could be from the alcohol in the plastic sampler I sent it in and usually will evaporate after the dry down. You got a pretty nice sized sample, so I hop you continue to give it a few chances and see if it grows on you. Focus on the face feel and the scent after the dry down.

While I have heard many different reviews and comments on my Bay Rum over the years, for and against, it having "a medicinal scent" is the very first. :)

muzichead said:
After a trip to the spice rack this morning I learned what is so different now...nutmeg... That is what seems to be the one of the ingredients that is missing in the others and what, I think, sets Stirling apart from the others and what I'm looking for.

Sounds like French Toast... ;)

Last edited:
The Original is a traditional bay rum with bay, clove & spice. The Lime has the addition of a bright, pezzy, soda pop lime. And the Perfecto, has notes of orange citrus and tobacco.
I figured this out when researching the Shave Wiki...:thumbsup:
I'm thinking, the medicinal you smelled, could be from the alcohol in the plastic sampler I sent it in and usually will evaporate after the dry down. You got a pretty nice sized sample, so I hop you continue to give it a few chances and see if it grows on you. Focus on the face feel and the scent after the dry down.

While I have heard many different reviews and comments on my Bay Rum over the years, for and against, it having "a medicinal scent" is the very first. :)
Every aftershave I've had has alcohol in it and this is the first one I've smelled what I smelled so I don't know. I will use these all till they're used up so no worries on that and thanks again...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Have never tried Stirling. Looks like it rates pretty well with folks who've tried it. To me...Pinaud VIBR has a spicy scent. Gabels has a clove-heavy scent. Masters is a sweet Bay Rum scent...all sweet...nothing else. How would you describe the Stirling Bay Rum scent?

The Bootlegger's mix has excellent longevity and it smells very nice. One of my favorites now along with the Bootlegger's El Dorado which isn't Bay Rum, but smells terrific.

Sounds like you want a traditional bay rum. For humid weather, I’d suggest Dominica, Gabels
West Indies, or Superior 70. For dry weather, Master bay rum, same traditional scent, with glycerin. The perfect a/s for the situation.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I recently finished my bottle of Stirling Bay Rum and thought I would try to find an alternative to it to use on occasion and thought from all Bay Rum descriptions I've read in the forum here that Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum was the answer... Although it does have a good scent to it, it just doesn't hit me like the Stirling did. Are there any other Stirling fans out there that has found something that is "VERY" close to it?
I use Pinaud Bay Rum but believe I will have to give Sterling a try. Their Bay Rum soap blows my Sox off!

I have to say that @OkieStubble 's Bootlegger's Bay Rum is really nice. You get some nice smokey notes when you first put it on. Then it turns a little sweet. Then you get a mild sandalwood type smell once it really mellows. At least, that is how it works on me. It's easy to mix up and you end up with a lot of aftershave. I can't imagine how long it will take me to work through this batch.

I checked their web site but they don’t have cologne.
They have a 5ml sampler and a 50ml bottle..

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
They have a 5ml sampler and a 50ml bottle..
Ooooo. May have to go into the “must have” column.

I ordered some samples of some of the PAA Bay Rums to try out against the Bootlegger's batch that I made. The Atomic Age Bay Rum is interesting. To me, it has the Bay Rum scent but with patchouli lingering scent. The scent takes me back to my 20s.

The other samples I have from PAA are the Coconut Bay and Clasico Bay Rum. I haven't tried those yet.

But so far, I haven't met a bad bay rum.

JCarr

Stirling Bay Rum aftershave came today. Was hoping it would be a less expensive Barrister and Mann...but, from smelling it from the bottle, it comes up a little short. It's like a milder Barrister and Mann. Tomorrow, I'll give this a go and report back. Smells good for sure. Will know more tomorrow.

If you like Stirling's version so much - and I'm a Stirling fan, too - why are you looking for something that's close, but not Stirling? What "different" are you trying to find?

JCarr

If you like Stirling's version so much - and I'm a Stirling fan, too - why are you looking for something that's close, but not Stirling? What "different" are you trying to find?

So far...I like Barrister and Mann the best. Stirling has a similar scent...just seems milder smelling the bottle. I like to try stuff is all.

Stirling Bay Rum aftershave came today. Was hoping it would be a less expensive Barrister and Mann...but, from smelling it from the bottle, it comes up a little short. It's like a milder Barrister and Mann. Tomorrow, I'll give this a go and report back. Smells good for sure. Will know more tomorrow.
Interesting as I have been using Stirling's Bay Rum for almost 2yrs now at least 2-3 times a month and it is one of the longest lasting aftershave's I've ever used. I can smell it sometimes 12-15hrs later after using it in the morning... Great staying power on this scent. Be sure to shake the bottle up prior to use as it does contain alcohol...

Top Bottom