What's new

Baxter Razor

I just purchased a Baxter of California razor. I've seen some reviews online that claim this is the same razor as the Muhle R89. It's just been re-branded with the Baxter name.

I don't own a Muhle R89, so I have no way of doing a physical comparison. From photos, however, they do look identical.

Can anyone give me the inside baseball on this?

Just curious.

I just purchased a Baxter of California razor. I've seen some reviews online that claim this is the same razor as the Muhle R89. It's just been re-branded with the Baxter name.

I don't own a Muhle R89, so I have no way of doing a physical comparison. From photos, however, they do look identical.

Can anyone give me the inside baseball on this?

Just curious.
Yup, it's a re-branded Muhle. Muhle does sell to other companies specifically for re-branding. Good razor. No harm in buying it, it's just that Baxter charges a premium for it. Whereas, both Qbrothers & Fendrihan re-brand the Muhle head for less (I don't think the handle is as nice though.) I hope you got a deal. When having a question like yours, I find it best - before you buy, to ask here first as everyone is always eager & prompt to help with information and there are some really knowledgeable people here.

Again, good razor. You should have zero issues with finish & blade fit. There are a lot of very similar looking razors that aren't re-branded Muhles, like the Baxter.

Save the money on the rebrand and order a Muhle R89. I got one from the U.K. Shipped new for $26. I love it with a sharp blade like a dorco prime.

MÜHLE Shaving Culture | Brands in distribution | purchase online

Top addresses for wet shaving and beauty
It is not a secret, but a pleasing fact: We are not only the owners and producers of the MÜHLE brand.

Our equally successful work as experts on markets and industries has led to distribution partnerships with top international shaving and beauty brands, includingBaxter of CaliforniaandProraso. The name behind the private labelhjmshould be familiar to you: Hans-Jürgen Müller GmbH & Co. KG.

Many thanks, folks! Next time around, zI will post first before purchasing.

A Miuhe for 26 bucks? Nice! Definitely should have posted here first! So, for 26 dollars, I could do a physical comparison. How/where can I order?

Many thanks, folks! Next time around, zI will post first before purchasing.

A Miuhe for 26 bucks? Nice! Definitely should have posted here first! So, for 26 dollars, I could do a physical comparison. How/where can I order?
I ordered mine through the modern man U.K. They had it on sale and if you signed up for their email ads you got 10% off and shipping was free over I believe $23. I figured it would take 6 weeks but I had it in 8 days which was impressive. I believe they raised the price but it's still $37 or so. It's quickly becoming my favorite razor.

I ordered mine through the modern man U.K. They had it on sale and if you signed up for their email ads you got 10% off and shipping was free over I believe $23. I figured it would take 6 weeks but I had it in 8 days which was impressive. I believe they raised the price but it's still $37 or so. It's quickly becoming my favorite razor.

Thanks for the info.:) I'll check them out.:)

Then again, I'm beginning to think I have far too many razors.:) Wasn't' this supposed to be a practice that was going to save me money?:):);) LOL!:):)

(can we discuss pricing up here? Or is this not permitted?)

Okay, I logged into the Modern Man and their prices are quite low. A Muhle Razor, plus Mule black Porcelain shaving bowl gets me a free sample pack of blades.:) Still wondering if I should spend the $$$.:)

(can we discuss pricing up here? Or is this not permitted?)

Okay, I logged into the Modern Man and their prices are quite low. A Muhle Razor, plus Mule black Porcelain shaving bowl gets me a free sample pack of blades.:) Still wondering if I should spend the $$$.:)
If the Baxter is the Muhle which it appears to be I wouldn't waste the money. Get yourself a Maggard with the v3 head which is supposed to be a knockoff of the Edwin Jaeger and Muhle R89 but I assure you it is not. Maybe it looks like them but the v3 is a very aggressive shave compared to my R89. I use the Astra sp blades and Dorco prime in my Maggards and it's a chemical peel and shave all in one.

If the Baxter is the Muhle which it appears to be I wouldn't waste the money. Get yourself a Maggard with the v3 head which is supposed to be a knockoff of the Edwin Jaeger and Muhle R89 but I assure you it is not. Maybe it looks like them but the v3 is a very aggressive shave compared to my R89. I use the Astra sp blades and Dorco prime in my Maggards and it's a chemical peel and shave all in one.

That's a good idea.:) And the price is right. I already have a Scotch and Stowe SS handle that should work nicely.

Okay, I pulled the trigger on the V3 razor head. I also threw in a Semogue 1800 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush.:)

Thank you again!:)

Okay, I pulled the trigger on the V3 razor head. I also threw in a Semogue 1800 Pure Bristle Shaving Brush.:)

Thank you again!:)
You'll love the v3 and you can't beat the price. Just experiment with blades till ya find the right one and don't give up. I found that a dorco 300 or Astra sp works best for me,,Anything sharper and it irritates the crap out me. I just got my first semoque from them and gotta say I'm not impressed at all. I got the 1470 and it loses at least two bristles every shave and at that rate if it doesn't stop it won't last a year. Heck I bought a $10 WOWE badger brush on Amazon that hasn't lost a hair in over a year but I'm holding out hope the semoque straightens up.

You'll love the v3 and you can't beat the price. Just experiment with blades till ya find the right one and don't give up. I found that a dorco 300 or Astra sp works best for me,,Anything sharper and it irritates the crap out me. I just got my first semoque from them and gotta say I'm not impressed at all. I got the 1470 and it loses at least two bristles every shave and at that rate if it doesn't stop it won't last a year. Heck I bought a $10 WOWE badger brush on Amazon that hasn't lost a hair in over a year but I'm holding out hope the semoque straightens up.

Well, I'll report back how well the Semogue 1800 performs.:) Looking forward to using the V3. As I said, I've got more than a few handles I can slap this on.:) but wil probably pair with the Scotch and Stow to start. I may move it over to the RazorRock SS Mission handle. I also have the RazoRock Heavy Duty short SS handle.:) Lot s of options.:)

Looking forward to receiving and unboxing!:)

I have the mr9 handle on one that is very heavy and an Astra works well with that weight. I just tried the Astra in the lighter weight aluminum mr14 and it burned me up. Funny how that works.

Top Bottom