What's new

Baxter Razor

How'd the v3 workout?

I attached the V3 to a Scotch & Stowe Stainless Steel handle and it made for a very nice pairing.

The V3 was incredibly close, but resulted in giving me some irritation on the third day of use. So, I had to set it aside and go back to milder razors for the moment.

But, I hope to hone my technique so my skin/beard become more accustomed to the V3. This may take some time.

Bottom line, I'm VERY glad I purchased it.:) Thank you for the recommendation!:)

I attached the V3 to a Scotch & Stowe Stainless Steel handle and it made for a very nice pairing.

The V3 was incredibly close, but resulted in giving me some irritation on the third day of use. So, I had to set it aside and go back to milder razors for the moment.

But, I hope to hone my technique so my skin/beard become more accustomed to the V3. This may take some time.

Bottom line, I'm VERY glad I purchased it.:) Thank you for the recommendation!:)
What blade are you using?

As I recall, I used a Personna Blue. It's been my go to blade for some time.
No guarantee here but the persona is a very sharp blade and whenever I've tried something like a dorco prime or a feather which I just can't use, the aggressiveness of the v3 amplifies it and I get some irritation and I've been shaving this way for 25 yrs. try a dorco 300 or equivalent if you have one. If not dollar general or family dollar sells some sort of rebranded dorco I believe. I think using a blade that isn't so sharp works like a blade that is with this setup.

No guarantee here but the persona is a very sharp blade and whenever I've tried something like a dorco prime or a feather which I just can't use, the aggressiveness of the v3 amplifies it and I get some irritation and I've been shaving this way for 25 yrs. try a dorco 300 or equivalent if you have one. If not dollar general or family dollar sells some sort of rebranded dorco I believe. I think using a blade that isn't so sharp works like a blade that is with this setup.

Thank you.:) I've never tried Dorco before but now have a reason to give them a try.:) I'm wondering if they're comparable to Derby, which I have.:) BTW, specifically, are you speaking of the Dorco ST300 Double Edge Razor Blades/ Stainless Steel?

Thank you.:) I've never tried Dorco before but now have a reason to give them a try.:) I'm wondering if they're comparable to Derby, which I have.:) BTW, specifically, are you speaking of the Dorco ST300 Double Edge Razor Blades/ Stainless Steel?
Derby should be fine if it's worked before. If you switched to the persona because it gave you a smoother shave than the derby than the derby should be a winner with the more aggressive v3. I know Maggard like to compare the v3 head to an EJ89 or Muhle or Baxter but they aren't even close outside of maybe looks. They offer a v3A which is supposedly even more aggressive.

Thanks.:) Derby it is.:) Regarding Dorco 300's, not sure I want to buy 100. But, saw them for less than 8 bucks for 10o...specifically $7.13.:) Wow! I had a gift card, so...:)

Thanks.:) Derby it is.:) Regarding Dorco 300's, not sure I want to buy 100. But, saw them for less than 8 bucks for 10o...specifically $7.13.:) Wow! I had a gift card, so...:)
Yeah they're cheap and I've used the for years with no issues. They just came out with a newer blade called the prime and imo it's darn near feather sharp. I use them in my Muhle R89 with awesome results but they do irritate a tad with the v3 because of the sharpness. I think if you did well with a derby before it should work well now. Let me know how that combo works.

Yeah they're cheap and I've used the for years with no issues. They just came out with a newer blade called the prime and imo it's darn near feather sharp. I use them in my Muhle R89 with awesome results but they do irritate a tad with the v3 because of the sharpness. I think if you did well with a derby before it should work well now. Let me know how that combo works.
b
Will do!:) Looking forward to getting the Dorcos. I may try them before the Derby.:) But, I'l tread lightly knowing how aggressive the V3 is. I agree, the V3 is more aggressive than my Baxter or EJ DE89.:)

Just as an update, I dropped a brand new Dorco ST300 blade into the magard V3 razor head. Attached it to my Scotch and Stowe handle and had a shave this morning. I used TOOBS college shaving cream.

The V3 is incredibly close, but I'm afraid a bit too aggressive for me. I came away with ever so just a bit of irritation on the left side of the chin. Nothing glaringly red, but I could see the start of some small bumps.

It's a great razor head, for sure. But, again, I believe I need to shave several more months to move up to it.

Just as an update, I dropped a brand new Dorco ST300 blade into the magard V3 razor head. Attached it to my Scotch and Stowe handle and had a shave this morning. I used TOOBS college shaving cream.

The V3 is incredibly close, but I'm afraid a bit too aggressive for me. I came away with ever so just a bit of irritation on the left side of the chin. Nothing glaringly red, but I could see the start of some small bumps.

It's a great razor head, for sure. But, again, I believe I need to shave several more months to move up to it.
Did you find the 300 to be sharp, rough, smooth? Have other blades worked well with the v3?

Did you find the 300 to be sharp, rough, smooth? Have other blades worked well with the v3?

With the Dorco, I found the V3 to be smooth with just a tad roughness. But, not exceedingly so. I'm talking a small bit.

The Personna was smoother.

I think this is a razor I'll be using once a week and work up from there.:) Lately, I've been using alum during post shave and I think this helped considerably this morning.

So far, those are the only two blades I've tried. But, I will have the V3 in my rotation and try other blades.:)

Top Bottom