What's new

Bavarian-Frankonian Hones

Most Old-school Japanese don't use DMT and that's enough for me. I personally observed a friend in Niigata set a bevel on a brand new Kamisori on a Shinden Suita with DMT slurry, refine and finish the same Kamisori on the same Suita using a Tomonagura. It's not about the slurry, it's more about which type of slurry.

I like to slurry with dmt or tomo all depends which stone i'm using and what i plan to accomplish.

I will use a diamond nagura until I see a reason not to. I've yet to experiece anything worse than suction.

I like to slurry with dmt or tomo all depends which stone i'm using and what i plan to accomplish.

I will use a diamond nagura until I see a reason not to. I've yet to experiece anything worse than suction.

Exactly, and lots of Japanese do use diamond plates to raise slurry these days. There is no right or wrong, only what works for you and your face.

It's not about the slurry, it's more about which type of slurry.

Well - yes, that - and the end result. A few other things too, including common sense, but I'm too tired to continue.
Still have to shave, I started to go do that looong ago and I wound up falling into the Mouser website.

Personally I have never had a diamond come loose, but I would never use a not-well-worn diamond plate to try to raise a slurry either. That is an extremely important distinction I forgot to make earlier. A fresh new diamond plate will indeed raise a more aggressive slurry that may take an edge backwards - this does illustrate Ian's point about cleaving abrasive particles. A diamond plate with fresh sharp diamond will produce slurry with sharp ragged edges, which will in turn cut faster, deeper and leave a coarser edge. If you use a diamond plate, ONLY use a well-worn broken-in one or you will get results as described by Gamma.

Mine was worn. Any diamond plate here goes through hell before it sees any real work on stones.
But yeah - using a new plate for this would not be a good idea.

The shave with the Wicawa straigt went bad!

Peter mentioned this particular frankonian is a coarser one. After the bevel repair and refining i used the stone with water only, and the edge degrades from HHT3 to nothing. Shaving was nearly impossible even after Linen/Leather care.
So i tryed a light slurry created with a matching piece of frankonian. This did not help at all!.

So i did a light DMT Slurry, and 1 minute later HHT4 was possible (after palmstropping). HHT 5 after Linen Leather.

So my conclusion is, like on ultra hard Jnats (that may tend to scratch sometimes, used with water only) this stone needs a little slurry, and the same hardness "Tomo" i got from Peter (i think it was cut out of the same stone) releases more scratchy particles, then with slurry created with DMT. The DMT Slurry also feels much smoother to hone on.

The shave was fantastic! Coti smooth, thüri sharp, as close as it can be! Again especially the atg passes are the best i ever got from stones.

Greets Sebastian.

Last edited:
Interesting, I will have to retry my found black stones with a DMT slurry instead of a rubbing stone slurry and see if it helps those.

Sebastian asked if I,d test a thew razors for him? So I said yes.

the razors arrived a couple of weeks ago, two have them honed with frankonian hone.

one with it ha coticule, the other I carnt remember?

I checked the bevels on frankonian honed razors? They were hazy looking , hht was a 3 in my opinion.

after testing both frankonian edges I felt the smoothness was there. I would prefer a little more keeness. Every ones whiskers are different.

Compared to the coticule edge Sebastian sent me , I felt the edge was keener and the smoothness was very similar.

still something about the coticule feel that would,not make me search for a frankonian hone in a hurry.

Regards gary

II recently got a small Frankonian bout from Peter, have shaved with a razor honed on it a few times now. Shaves are pretty good, I think for me not quite coticule smooth but keener. Still, not bad by any means and this is still my first razor on it. Edge quality produced may vary from stone to stone a bit too. Mine cuts really quick on a 1200 diamond plate slurry - like really quick. I tested on a razor last night and found it fully 100% (under 150x mag) removed the scratch marks from a 1200 Atoma from my test razor bevel in less than 60 laps. Would have removed all the scratches just at the edge in even less. Definitely leaves more of a matte/hazy bevel than other finishing stones. Quite impressive for a stone that can be shaved from IMO. I am very happy with mine if even just for the speed.

Last edited:
I can't wait till my Frankonian hoard arrives. 3 of the yellows and 5 greys. The largest ones are about the size of a good barber hone(5 x 3)

I will definayely definately post my findings and results once they arrive.

These stones are amazing so super packed with abrasives you can set a bevel and refine it in what feels like seconds(probably just a couple minutes) and be left with a good shaving edge.

I have only been playing with my 3 light samples, the 5 grey need lapping. Much more testing needed those are just my first impressions based on playing around with the following stones.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

They leave an almost suita like haze on the bevel, I love it. Has that thick corduroy feedback like my b-hone size coti but more intense. Slurry darkens in 1-2 strokes. Slurry made stone on stone no DMT.

Last edited:
Mine is much more matte than a suita finish, unless I dilute out to straight water. Then it looks similar to a suita slurry finish. On slurry though my Franky is way more matte. It won't get anywhere near a straight water JNat finish.

Gotcha. Here are a few scope shots I took of a Franky edge/bevel, for anyone unfamiliar. The spots in the ring light shot are rust starting to form right after honing (minutes)! High surface area finishes and carbon steel don't mix. This is obviously not at all visible to the naked eye or even with a 10x loupe.:

Built-in Ring Light:
$Frankonian 1200 Slurry Radium Ring Light.jpg

Scratch Enhancing Light:
$Frankonian 1200 Slurry Radium Scratch Light.jpg

Raking Light:
$Frankonian 1200 Slurry Radium Raking Light.jpg

Edge Lit/Focused:
$Frankonian 1200 Slurry Radium Edge Light.jpg

Last edited:
I tested with dulled razors (pulled throu DMT 325 5 times) with same steel razors.

The frankonian did the job within 9minutes. What i got was a shaveready edge. With no dilution, just get a little better with diluting too water.
A Chosera 3k did it in the same time. Well i got a Naniwa Chosera 3k edge.
My fastest Coti needed about 12 minutes. I got a heavy slurry coti edge in this time (maybe comparable in fineness to Chosera 3k)

For Wtg passes i still prefer the a well done coti edge, but the frankonian is very close to that and fits my face better then thüri or jnat edges. Atg the Frankonian edge is the killer! and the only comparable edge i can get from an black or transark, but with this "extra" sharpness it is always a little more efford too shave with. Coti and Frankonian edges are foolprove in the face.

Very happy that you guys like the speed of that hones!, sometimes i thought Peter, Sebastian and me are a little too enthusiastic about them......

These are dawn good hones.

Greets Sebastian.

No they are really cool. I like them quite a lot. But then I like almost all of my stones quite a lot! Lol.

Man i just fell in love with those .Please if someone has a piece of this stones send me a private to figure it out , :drool: pleeeease .I just have to gett one for my babyes .
Amazing stones .

Top Bottom