What's new

Battle of the Obscure: Gillette Minora vs. Silver Star

Well, I did it again. I innocently went to an online shaving store and inexplicably wound up buying 7 things. Fortunately, this time the total was still under $15. @Raven Koenes mentioned in recent thread that one of his favorite blades is Silver Star, which he gets at razorbladesclub.com. I know Mr. Koenes to be a man of impeccable taste, uncompromising standards, and a peculiar propensity to purchase the same razor ad infinitum. It was intriguing to hear that one of his favorite blades was so obscure I hadn't even heard of it, let alone shaved with it.

I headed to the site and I was impressed by the selection. They had quite a few blades I'd never seen before, including the mysterious Silver Star and the equally intriguing Gillette Minora. I've never met a Russian Gillette I didn't like, so I picked up a tuck. I also spotted a 10pack of Zaza's, which I felt obligated to buy because I don't have a single blade in the den that starts with "Z".

Surprisingly, I got an email after checkout from Deutsche Post; apparently these blades were coming to New York all the way from Frankfurt Germany. Impressive for just $3.00 shipping. It sounds like it'll take 7 days for the blades to arrive, but when they do, I'm excited to pit them head to head, each in a RR Teck II's for a 50/50 split face shave-off.

The contenders:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Sounds good!

Never heard of these either, I wonder why? Are they simply overshadowed by their better known bretheren this live in obscurity? Or are they just marketed more to Eastern countries?

Pretty cheap either way!

I've got a tuck of Silver Stars. Haven't touched em yet. Not sure where I got them -- maybe in a blade sampler from Q Brothers? Nice to know someone likes them!

Sounds good!

Never heard of these either, I wonder why? Are they simply overshadowed by their better known bretheren this live in obscurity? Or are they just marketed more to Eastern countries?

Pretty cheap either way!

I searched around a bit on the Minora blades and it sounds as though it's made by Gillette at PPI in St Petersburg for the South African market. Apparently it's the most popular blade available down there. I'm excited to try it out. I don't think PPI is capable of making a bad blade. I'm curious to compare it to other PPI blades; I wonder if it's just rebadged or if it's actually unique. Sometimes I have a hard time telling PPI blades apart.

The silver star seems well regarded. After I did some searching, I found there are quite a few guys on here who swear by them. They're cheap as dirt too, some folks reported they picked up 200 for $13.00 (with shipping!). @Cal reported getting 20+ shaves out of them, so that'd be 4,000 shaves, or 10 years.

Whichever blade proves victorious will be pitted against my favorite PPI blade, the Perma-Sharp Super.

Will look forward to this comparison! I recently finished my first Silver Star and found it surprisingly good!

I'm looking forward to it too, as much for the soap as for the blades. I just picked up a sample of Wholly Kaw's "Man From Mayfair" w/ donkey milk from Maggards. Wholly Kaw's donkey milk soaps have been on my list for a while and this seems as good a time as any to try them out.

It is for science after all...:)

I'm looking forward to it too, as much for the soap as for the blades. I just picked up a sample of Wholly Kaw's "Man From Mayfair" w/ donkey milk from Maggards. Wholly Kaw's donkey milk soaps have been on my list for a while and this seems as good a time as any to try them out.

It is for science after all...:)

Definitely, ‘for science,’ (and a good time)! :a14::a14:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Well, I did it again. I innocently went to an online shaving store and inexplicably wound up buying 7 things. Fortunately, this time the total was still under $15. @Raven Koenes mentioned in recent thread that one of his favorite blades is Silver Star, which he gets at razorbladesclub.com. I know Mr. Koenes to be a man of impeccable taste, uncompromising standards, and a peculiar propensity to purchase the same razor ad infinitum. It was intriguing to hear that one of his favorite blades was so obscure I hadn't even heard of it, let alone shaved with it.
proxy.php
Actually, I purchase the same two razors ad infinitum the solid bar and OC Fatips lol! :letterk1: Thanks for the compliments, and I hope the Silver Star doesn't let you down. If so you can blame me. I find they hold a sharp edge forever and have never shaved one out.

I headed to the site and I was impressed by the selection. They had quite a few blades I'd never seen before, including the mysterious Silver Star and the equally intriguing Gillette Minora. I've never met a Russian Gillette I didn't like, so I picked up a tuck. I also spotted a 10pack of Zaza's, which I felt obligated to buy because I don't have a single blade in the den that starts with "Z".

Surprisingly, I got an email after checkout from Deutsche Post; apparently these blades were coming to New York all the way from Frankfurt Germany. Impressive for just $3.00 shipping. It sounds like it'll take 7 days for the blades to arrive, but when they do, I'm excited to pit them head to head, each in a RR Teck II's for a 50/50 split face shave-off.

The contenders:

proxy.php

proxy.php
The ZaZa Platinum is undoubtedly the worst razor I've ever used and I tried to make it work......good luck with that one....I wonder how seeing it comes from Turkey that anyone buys them.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Dovo1695 is correct, Minora is a rebranded PPI blade, which one is unknown......Minora blades were originally manufactured in England, same goes for Silver Star, both very old names in the industry. I like Egyptian Silver Stars, cheap and smooth ... I am now on test shave #7 of the new Minora and so far so good. Pictures: Canada, France , India , Britain
min2.jpg
min5.jpg
min1.jpg
min4.jpg
min3.jpg

The ZaZa Platinum is undoubtedly the worst razor I've ever used and I tried to make it work......good luck with that one....I wonder how seeing it comes from Turkey that anyone buys them.

I had the same experience with ZaZa. Great packaging but wretched blades. I couldn't even finish the shave.

I had high hopes for ZaZa, because Arko comes from Turkey as well. My dreams of Turkish Tuesdays were thwarted. Anybody know of a good Turkish blade brand?

Last edited:
I just realized that I started this review about 3 years ago but never finished it. The Silver Stars were more or less on par with a Derby, but the Minora was phenomenal. It's a top 5 blade for me. I've been looking for a reasonably priced source for them ever since.

I had the same experience with ZaZa. Great packaging but wretched blades. I couldn't even finish the shave.

I had high hopes for ZaZa, because Arko comes from Turkey as well. My dreams of Turkish Tuesdays were thwarted. Anybody know of a good Turkish blade brand?
Have you tried a Derby Premium or a Derby USTA? Much better than the Extras. I like and use both.

** Note I have a fairly easy to shave beard so I get along with a number of blades that I happen to see others dislike.

Have you tried a Derby Premium or a Derby USTA? Much better than the Extras. I like and use both.

** Note I have a fairly easy to shave beard so I get along with a number of blades that I happen to see others dislike.

I'll be damned. I forgot that Derby was made in Turkey. I've tried the Derby Extra and Premium. Not my favorites. I've never heard of Derby USTA though. The price is certainly right at $4.50 per hundred. That and a box of Arko would have me shaving for 3 years. I might have to give those a try.

I'll be damned. I forgot that Derby was made in Turkey. I've tried the Derby Extra and Premium. Not my favorites. I've never heard of Derby USTA though. The price is certainly right at $4.50 per hundred. That and a box of Arko would have me shaving for 3 years. I might have to give those a try.
Derby USTA blades are almost identical to Silver Stars in performance as I've used both.They are very good blades for their price.

Top Bottom