What's new

BATTLE OF THE GILLETTES FACE OFF

Gillette Silver Blue vs Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum

Like the previous bout between Polsilver and Astra, each was placed in an Edwin Jagger DE safety razor. (Kelvin & DE 89)

Nothing's more entertaining than watching two relatives wrestle on the floor after polishing off a case of beer! The Gillette boys were no different. The shave consisted of a three-pass shave, performed every other day, and each challenger switched sides on the next round.

Round one-
Having never placed a Silver Blue against my skin, this was a fight I was looking forward to experiencing. Having a little knowledge & experience with 7 o'clock, I knew it would be capable of holding its own, even though the blade comes at what I consider to be a hefty price point. In round one, both came in with high regard from user reviews, and forum discussions. That being said, I found the unknown Silver Blue to have the fancier footwork, dancing around my face like Sugar Ray in his prime. After a few good pops and going back to their respective corners, it was the unknown Silver Blue that performed with ease. Neither breaking into a sweat, Silver Blue looking very confident! Round one was sponsored by German classic Tabac Original, a fine soap since 1959!
Winner- Silver Blue

Round two-
After a quick lather courtesy of Italian soap maker, Razorock XXX, round two went by with nothing really too exciting happening. Both sides finished smooth, but the ever so slightly smoother finish was once again performed by Russian made, Silver Blue. If the India originating 7 O'clock is to have a chance, it will need a top performance in round three, or this fight may not make it to 5 rounds.
Winner- Silver Blue

Round three-
The round began with a little shave oil application & a nice lather by house favorite, I Coloniali Mango. Once the blades stepped into the ring, Silver Blue seemed a bit sluggish, pulling a little more than 7 O'clock. By the end of the round, Silver Blue landed a slightly smoother finish, similar to what we saw in the second round. Nothing close to a knockout blow by either blade. Many of the fans left their seats, and went out for more beer.
Winner- Draw

Round four-
Things started to get interesting in the fourth round. After a slow start, 7 O'clock delivered a nice smooth performance, gliding across the face full of Stirling's Executive Man scented lather. Silver Blue, appearing to wobble just a bit, pulled, tugged, and even nicked a bit. After the round was over, it was obvious that 7 O'clock was on the smoother side of things. Could it be that the India production pulls an upset over its Russian made cousin?

Round five-
Delivering their final blows in a fury of activity, both blades hoped they could sway the judge to call the fifth & final round in their favor. The three-pass shave began with a lather by Cella Classica, and ended with a splash of Thayers Witch Hazel, and Fine L'Orange Aftershave. The finish was close, but 7 O'clock was able to close it out with an ever so slight smoothness over rival Silver Blue.

Final notes-
I found Silver Blue to be similar to my experience with the much touted, and very expensive, Feather Blade. Very sharp start, but doesn't have the lasting power of other blades. It may be that these super sharp blades are too "razor thin" to hold on for more than a few great cuts before having to be placed into the tin blade coffin. If you're a guy who changes blades often, then one of these might be a good fit for you. All in all, going with either of these blades still makes you a champion, but with 7 O'clock pulling what appeared to be nothing less than a rope a dope, it now gets to move on to the championship bout against Astra Superior Platinum. Purchase your ringside tickets now, as this should be a great fight!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
WOW! Thought the GSB was going to score an early knock out! Excellent match!
Me too! Though both are excellent cutters, the smoother in the end was 7 O'clock. That being said, it's also comes at a much heftier price point, at around $50 for a 100 pack. Keep in mind it will also have to beat Astra Superior Platinum which has a price point of around $18 per 100.

Thanks for the entertaining write-up. Were the 7 O'clock Super Platinums the Russian version in the dark blue wrapper? I am pretty sure they have been discontinued - which might account for their high price.

Thanks for the entertaining write-up. Were the 7 O'clock Super Platinums the Russian version in the dark blue wrapper? I am pretty sure they have been discontinued - which might account for their high price.
Per the boxes, 7 o'clocks are made in India, and Silver Blues are made in Russia.

Top Bottom