What's new

Battle of the bargain blades!

Cheap and good?
Lord Silver Star and Lord Super Chrome.
I usually buy 100 Silver Star for appr €11 incl shipping.
A while ago I bought 200 Lord Super Chrome for just a couple of € more.
Astra SS is another cheapie that works well for me

I lucked out finding 100 Asco platinum orange for $5.00 and I really like them right out of the gate, but they only last a few shaves. No complaints for the price!

I would like to add Voskhods. Great Blades in my opinion. I can buy them here in Germany on amazon for 6Euros per 100 Blades. So 6ct. per blade which will last ~4 shaves for me. So ~1,5ct. per shave.
Wow, on amazon.fr these blades cost me 9,99 euros for 100 blades. Everything is so expensive in Belgium :blink:

I paid $5.50 for 100 Treet Black Beauties. I get an easy 6 shaves out of them and they're by the best shaves I get from any blade. The smoothest and longest lasting shaves too.

I barely get two shaves out of a Feather. Three or almost four shaves out of a Kai, Bolzano, and all the Russian Gilette blades.

Plus, because they're carbon steel, I can strop and even rehone a new edge on Black Beauties. I have an old Norton safety blade hone on the way. The sky is the limit!

So my cost per shave is already below one cent, and could possibly be absurd. Although I did spend $5 on alcohol and mineral oil to dunk the razor in after each use. I expect that $5 to last at least a year though.

I recently saw a gilette ad from 1934. The carbon blades then were advertised at 10 for $1 or 5 for $.50. At a time when a movie was a dime and a Bannana split was a nickel (per my grandmother) it's interesting to consider the relative cost of gilette blades back then, comparable to what carts cost today. And it's incredible to think that Treet Black Beauties at a nickel is half the price of essentially the same blade almost 100 years ago and considering inflation it's a fraction of a fraction.

I know I'm one of the lucky few who gets such good results from the cheapest blade known to man. Works perfectly in my fatip slant!

I’ve yet to find a “cheap” blade that has the same performance and longevity as the several “expensive” blades I love, which cost 15 cents a piece instead of 8 cents, lol.

I haven't found a lot of blades that I would be comfortable using using for my daily shaver. I have three blades that pass muster, Polsilver SI, Wizamet SI and Personna Israeli Red. I bought over 1200 of those blades combined because they work well for me when so many others did not perform as well. My experience with Super Max Super Platinum and Silver Star blades left a lot to be desired. I did use an Astra SS once and my thoughts at the time were that it was a decent blade. I loaded one in my Timeless for tomorrow's shave and I will try and decide if it is good enough to make the list. It never hurts to have a cheap blade that works for you and is readily available. Astra SPs do not work for me. I have been sitting on a tuck of Lord Platinum and Shark Stainless Steel that I will try eventually try. My problem is that I have blades that I know will give me a great shave so why should I subject my face to possible torture?

I have used the Astra SS for 2 days in a row and the blade has been comfortable and sharp enough. I find these blades agree with my face 10 times better than the Astra SPs. They are available for less than $8 per hundred on Amazon so they definitely qualify as bargain blades. If I get the urge to buy more blades to add to my stash of 1200+ these are likely candidates.

In my opinion, it's impossible to answer this. It should be calculated based on cost/shave for the person using the blade. For instance, I have 129 shaves on an Astra SP blade. The current cost/shave is $0.0005348837. Another person might toss their cheaper blade after only a few shaves.

I may consider Nacets after I use up the 200 Astra SPs I have.
I would be dead before I worked my way through the rest of the 200 blades that you have, if I got as many shaves per blade as you! Wow!

I've picked up 100 Astra SP blades from that company named after a river a couple months ago for $6.99 with free shipping. I haven't found a better deal.

I also ordered 100 Treet DuraSharps (platinum coated carbon steel blades) for $7.99 with free shipping from that same company. Also an excellent deal.
Update on this: I've since found that the cheaper Astra SS blades work as well for me as the SPs, and the Treet DuraSharps work very well and last 4+ shaves before rusting.

I lucked out finding 100 Asco platinum orange for $5.00 and I really like them right out of the gate, but they only last a few shaves. No complaints for the price!

I also did that deal. VERY pleaantly surprised, although I generally do like Lord products in general. But I just got six good shaves from one of these blades, and it failed badly, in the middle of shave seven. Anyway, yes, screaming bargain.

Top Bottom