What's new

Battle of my Titanium Razors

After the first 2 stellar shaves with my new Ti Satin Blackbird, I decided a shave off was in order between it and my Ti Timeless .95 OC. As you can see from the pics, the BB is shorter, lighter and has a slightly lower profile cap. The satin finish of the BB is very nice. I like the flat gray tone, mainly because it's unlike any of my other razors. The Timeless is polished and, while not as shiny as my Wolfman, it is a beautiful piece. (Please excuse the finger prints in the pics). Both razors are extremely well made and well balanced. Interestingly, upon assembling the BB it felt a bit creaky at first. A tiny drop of mineral oil did the trick however.
With a fresh Astra SP blade in each razor, I shaved the right side of my face and neck with the Timeless, and the left side with the Blackbird. Both were extremely smooth. The BB had noticeably more blade feel, but it never, ever felt menacing. The Timeless seemed to glide along more freely, and I could literally fly around my face much quicker with it. The BB had more drag. But, as I've previously noted with regard to the BB and the Rex Ambassador, this is not a negative for me. Personally, I think it accentuates the shave quality. I have to move a little slower with the BB. And guess what? Slow and steady wins the race! The BB just seemed to vacuum up lather and beard, and didn't miss a spot. The Timeless glided around so effortlessly that I missed a few spots and, because of the lack of blade feel, I lost the shaving angle on occasion. So, the Timeless required more touch ups.
After a 3 pass shave with minor touch ups (again a little more required on the Timeless side), I ended up with a great BBS shave all over. In face feel I could not detect a difference in shave quality. I then looked in my wife's magnifying mirror, searching for any hint or shadow of stubble. If you'll hallucinate with me (because I'm truly splitting whiskers here), I'd say that the BB provided an ever so slightly closer shave.

Both are wonderful, comfortable, well made, premium and efficient razors. They are very different in build, appearance and shaving experience, so both will remain in my den. The Timeless was my most frequently used razor. Right now I find myself grabbing the BB almost every day. That maybe because it's new. Or perhaps the Blackbird has flown to the top of the den. Time will tell!

Attachments

• 869F54D8-29E2-414D-AE4F-0076B9A4924B.jpeg
    869F54D8-29E2-414D-AE4F-0076B9A4924B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
  • 522EA4D2-8E15-4518-9F1D-08D6A18C2827.jpeg
    522EA4D2-8E15-4518-9F1D-08D6A18C2827.jpeg
    728.9 KB · Views: 125
  • F7C87BC5-5969-406E-A864-DAF2DE2A1A9B.jpeg
    F7C87BC5-5969-406E-A864-DAF2DE2A1A9B.jpeg
    855.3 KB · Views: 114
  • E0101F9B-4BBD-4822-93A0-94643BE10595.jpeg
    E0101F9B-4BBD-4822-93A0-94643BE10595.jpeg
    883 KB · Views: 103
  • 033EBC2A-C82F-4361-B5D6-812D13BC27AC.jpeg
    033EBC2A-C82F-4361-B5D6-812D13BC27AC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • B717EE60-2C41-40FC-B6B8-031F57FAFBFB.jpeg
    B717EE60-2C41-40FC-B6B8-031F57FAFBFB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
My experience with these two razors is pretty much the same as yours. With only six shaves using the BB Ti, I'm still in the discovery mode on learning the best way to get that BBS shave everyday. Yesterday was my best and I think today will also follow suit. The BB just shaves so differently from the Timeless or my Wolfman WR2 buck and a quarter. Actually now that I think about it, the BB shaves differently from every other razor in my collection. Because of that, I'm going to use it daily for the next few weeks to get my muscle memory locked in so I don't have to go through another learning curve when it comes back into rotation later on.

My experience with these two razors is pretty much the same as yours. With only six shaves using the BB Ti, I'm still in the discovery mode on learning the best way to get that BBS shave everyday. Yesterday was my best and I think today will also follow suit. The BB just shaves so differently from the Timeless or my Wolfman WR2 buck and a quarter. Actually now that I think about it, the BB shaves differently from every other razor in my collection. Because of that, I'm going to use it daily for the next few weeks to get my muscle memory locked in so I don't have to go through another learning curve when it comes back into rotation later on.
It is truly a unique shaver!

I got my hands on a Taiga Ti recently and I am loving it. It’s making me consider other Ti razors, and the last thing I need are more razors.
I do not have a Taiga. I should have grabbed one when I could as they are nearly unobtainable now. By all accounts, it’s a well built, seriously smooth shaver with the whole range of efficiency. If Rex ever makes the Ambassador or Konsul in titanium I’ll be all over it. Enjoy the Taiga!

Reactions: Kix

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
After the first 2 stellar shaves with my new Ti Satin Blackbird, I decided a shave off was in order between it and my Ti Timeless .95 OC. As you can see from the pics, the BB is shorter, lighter and has a slightly lower profile cap. The satin finish of the BB is very nice. I like the flat gray tone, mainly because it's unlike any of my other razors. The Timeless is polished and, while not as shiny as my Wolfman, it is a beautiful piece. (Please excuse the finger prints in the pics). Both razors are extremely well made and well balanced. Interestingly, upon assembling the BB it felt a bit creaky at first. A tiny drop of mineral oil did the trick however.
With a fresh Astra SP blade in each razor, I shaved the right side of my face and neck with the Timeless, and the left side with the Blackbird. Both were extremely smooth. The BB had noticeably more blade feel, but it never, ever felt menacing. The Timeless seemed to glide along more freely, and I could literally fly around my face much quicker with it. The BB had more drag. But, as I've previously noted with regard to the BB and the Rex Ambassador, this is not a negative for me. Personally, I think it accentuates the shave quality. I have to move a little slower with the BB. And guess what? Slow and steady wins the race! The BB just seemed to vacuum up lather and beard, and didn't miss a spot. The Timeless glided around so effortlessly that I missed a few spots and, because of the lack of blade feel, I lost the shaving angle on occasion. So, the Timeless required more touch ups.
After a 3 pass shave with minor touch ups (again a little more required on the Timeless side), I ended up with a great BBS shave all over. In face feel I could not detect a difference in shave quality. I then looked in my wife's magnifying mirror, searching for any hint or shadow of stubble. If you'll hallucinate with me (because I'm truly splitting whiskers here), I'd say that the BB provided an ever so slightly closer shave.

Both are wonderful, comfortable, well made, premium and efficient razors. They are very different in build, appearance and shaving experience, so both will remain in my den. The Timeless was my most frequently used razor. Right now I find myself grabbing the BB almost every day. That maybe because it's new. Or perhaps the Blackbird has flown to the top of the den. Time will tell!

Hello Ron, good to see you! I am glad that we have folks like you, who are able to do titanium razor comparisons. Because titanium razors are so expensive, I could only afford to get one, my Timeless TI95. Pretty hard for me to do a comparison, when I only have one lol!

From your description, it sounds like your Blackbird was slightly more efficient, while your Timeless was more comfortable. I personally find my Timeless TI95 SB, to be a much smoother and more comfortable razor, then my Rex Ambassador and Merkur Futur razors. But going ATG on the upper lip, is a bit rough with the TI95.

Ya, Blackbird TI is all the craze these days, so you might be getting a little lost in the new, which is totally normal. Isn't that what everybody does with everything in life? But facts are facts regardless, if you say the Blackbird is more efficient, then its more efficient. Either way, open comb is the way to go on multiple day stubble, especially if its week long!

I just got a new razor in, a one Fatip Grande Open Comb Gold razor. Its nowhere near the quality of a titanium alloy razor, but its not trying to be either. The Fatip razors are hand made in Italiy, and is made out of brass, and mine has the gold plated finish. I had a mostly perfect shave with it today, minus one nick caused by me not being careful lol.

I am guessing if Matt made a Rex Ambassador out of titanium, you'd buy that too ha? Thanks for your comparison!

Hello Ron, good to see you! I am glad that we have folks like you, who are able to do titanium razor comparisons. Because titanium razors are so expensive, I could only afford to get one, my Timeless TI95. Pretty hard for me to do a comparison, when I only have one lol!

From your description, it sounds like your Blackbird was slightly more efficient, while your Timeless was more comfortable. I personally find my Timeless TI95 SB, to be a much smoother and more comfortable razor, then my Rex Ambassador and Merkur Futur razors. But going ATG on the upper lip, is a bit rough with the TI95.

Ya, Blackbird TI is all the craze these days, so you might be getting a little lost in the new, which is totally normal. Isn't that what everybody does with everything in life? But facts are facts regardless, if you say the Blackbird is more efficient, then its more efficient. Either way, open comb is the way to go on multiple day stubble, especially if its week long!

I just got a new razor in, a one Fatip Grande Open Comb Gold razor. Its nowhere near the quality of a titanium alloy razor, but its not trying to be either. The Fatip razors are hand made in Italiy, and is made out of brass, and mine has the gold plated finish. I had a mostly perfect shave with it today, minus one nick caused by me not being careful lol.

I am guessing if Matt made a Rex Ambassador out of titanium, you'd buy that too ha? Thanks for your comparison!
Hey brother! I hear ya with the cost of titanium. I got VERY lucky. I won my Timeless razor or I might never have tried a titanium. Got nothing but love for the Ti Timeless .95 OC. But you’re correct. If Rex ever makes a titanium adjustable I’ll break out the credit card before I have a second to hesitate! Happy shaves!

excellent write up @HabanaRon an informative and enjoyable read.. I have no Ti razors or shaved with any, as I enjoy a little weight to my razors but who knows might be missing out on something

I do own a Timeless 95 SB in SS and have just ordered a Blackbird in SS also. The shaves with the Timeless are very smooth with no blade feel and due to the heft of the SS, pretty much allow the razor to do the work without any pressure from me

Cant wait for delivery of my bird to compare the shaves

excellent write up @HabanaRon an informative and enjoyable read.. I have no Ti razors or shaved with any, as I enjoy a little weight to my razors but who knows might be missing out on something

I do own a Timeless 95 SB in SS and have just ordered a Blackbird in SS also. The shaves with the Timeless are very smooth with no blade feel and due to the heft of the SS, pretty much allow the razor to do the work without any pressure from me

Cant wait for delivery of my bird to compare the shaves
I’ll be anxious to read your thoughts!

Hey, HabanaRon I am just about to put my order in for my Wolfman and was thinking WR2-DC 1.25 and have a Blackbird Ti as well. I believe you have a Wolfman 1.25, I was wondering if you could me some insight on how the shave of Blackbird Ti compares to the Wolfman 1.25.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have both. The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is a wonderful razor. Good balance between efficient and smooth. It is an excellent razor and resides in my Big Dogs Category.

Since I got the Ti Blackbird, I rarely reach for my WR2 1.25. The Ti Blackbird balances the efficient, smooth, nimble & maneuverable and predictable attributes beautifully, making it a very highly effective DE razor. The Ti Blackbird is my #1 ranked Alpha Big Dog DE razor.

My face, skin and beard = my opinion. :)

I own both of these razors (blackbird & .95 open comb) in stainless.
The .95 is new to me (only 2 shaves with it so far), the Blackbird I've had for about 6-8 months.

The Blackbird is, and continues to be, my "reference razor' that all others must measure-up against.
It is just THAT good, for me.

the .95 is a very well-made and attractive razor. I had a pretty awful (weepers and post-shave "rawness") first shave with it,
and a MUCH better second shave (reduced pressure). Neither attempt yielded as close of a shave as I get with the Blackbird. As with your comparison - I had to do "touch-ups" with the Timeless, but never seem to need to with the Blackbird. But I need more time with the .95 OC to draw definitive conclusions...

Just thought I'd chime-in with a stainelss steel version of you comparison, to show that my impressions are roughly equal to yours...

Hey, HabanaRon I am just about to put my order in for my Wolfman and was thinking WR2-DC 1.25 and have a Blackbird Ti as well. I believe you have a Wolfman 1.25, I was wondering if you could me some insight on how the shave of Blackbird Ti compares to the Wolfman 1.25.
I’ll start with the YMMV disclaimer. The stainless steel WR2 in basic polish is the prettiest razor I own. It’s very smooth, as most folks note. But I always wanted a bit more efficient from it. It’s also very heavy. Personally I have found I prefer lighter, more maneuverable razors. The BB in titanium is not as pretty, but, for me, it’s lighter, more agile and more efficient. Having said all that I hope you enjoy the Wolfman as many do prefer it over the BB!

I have both. The Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB is a wonderful razor. Good balance between efficient and smooth. It is an excellent razor and resides in my Big Dogs Category.

Since I got the Ti Blackbird, I rarely reach for my WR2 1.25. The Ti Blackbird balances the efficient, smooth, nimble & maneuverable and predictable attributes beautifully, making it a very highly effective DE razor. The Ti Blackbird is my #1 ranked Alpha Big Dog DE razor.

My face, skin and beard = my opinion. :)
Same!

Top Bottom