What's new

Battle Brothers MKII - a review

I'm weak and easily influenced or corrupted. After succumbing to the onslaught of advertising of our social media masters, I bought myself a Battle Brother's MKII safety razor and was not disappointed.

Here are the specs copied from the website:
  • Made in the USA - birthed from an American manufacturing facility
  • Military aircraft grade aluminum
  • Anodized mil-spec to MIL-A-8625 type II, class 2 for a smooth low friction coating
  • Total length is 3.7in - 1.3oz - with a blade gap of .032in
  • Field strip with ease with only three parts
Experience,
This razor is light. I mean... LIGHT. It's made from aircraft-grade aluminum, for Pete's sake! So, if you're used to the more weighty stainless steel types like myself, this razor takes some adjustment. For shaving medium, i went with the trusted Proraso cream frothed in the scuttle coupled with an Arco rubbed on base. This combo creates a super smooth, protective working surface for me that I used exclusively for many years. I put a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless blade in the razor and began.

Starting out, I could barely feel the razor touch my face. I knew it was there, because I was holding it and could see it in the mirror. Because of the light nature, I had to make a conscious consorted effort to resist pressing down. This razor absolutely has a unique personality. The company's marketing for this is very militaristic, but this razor does not have the heavy handed Platoon Sergeant personality I was expecting. It's more like that aid station medic after you just got shot in the ***.

The MKII is black and possibly sand blasted aluminum - the finish is not smooth anywhere on the razor. The handle knurling is aggressive and is secure in your fingers, even when wet or soapy.

The razor has about a 30 degree angle of attack or so, i'd say. And the sound it makes as you remove whiskers from your face is unsettling at first. It is a completely different pitch and tone than any other razor i've tried and was something I was not expecting to stand out as much as it did. For me, there is something soothing in the deep reverberation a razor makes, like hearing an A10 overhead. The MKII, however, sounds less A10 and more OH-58 - less brpbrpbrpbrpbrp and more weeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

A three pass routine resulted in a DFS, with clean up in my typical spots. No weepers or cuts. I did end up with an ingrown hair under my chin, which is highly unusual but may have been my own fault.

Shave Experience: 9/10
Results: 8/10
Quality: 10/10
Angle of Attack: 9/10

In conclusion, this razor is fun to shave with. It is significantly different than anything you've used before in both weight and feedback. It's definitely not a beginner's razor and isn't cheap at $99.

IMG_20200720_164228.jpg

Top Bottom