What's new

Bath/shower soaps follow me home

Okay, I have a three plus year supply of shaving soap. But I have a few bars of soap for the shower, also. Just counted: 32 bars. Some are Yardley, others triple milled Italian. Trader Joe's, Tuesday Morning, dollar store, etc. I have been pretty good the last three or four months, but soap just seems to leap from the shelf to my shopping basket. Anyone else find themselves awash in bars of soap?

Not there yet, but I may be on that path. One month ago I was using shower gel. Now I have 8 bars of shower soap, one more on the way, and at least two I'm really wanting to pick up. I've got French quadruple milled, French triple milled, Italian triple milled, American, New Zealand, etc. Still haven't found a bar I really love for my face since I used the facial bar from an Omni Hotel, where the bar soap bug bit me.

I order my bar soap from Dr squatch which is really nice. I have a subscription for 2 bars ever month. They have about 8 different bars to choose from. I just let them send which 2 they want so it's random on what scents I get monthly. They are all natural made soaps. I think it's like $13 for the 2 bars a month

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I get my shower soap from Long Rifle, same place that makes my favorite shave soaps. I go through about one bar every month or two, and I usually order 3 bars at a time.

....Anyone else find themselves awash in bars of soap?

Funny you should bring this up. I seem to have acquired several different bar soaps of late. Part of it is just my OCD tendencies to match the bar soap with the shaving soap, and some of it is just to have a good soap. Some of the bar soaps that I currently have:

SV Felce
SV Stella Alpina
Tabac (yep, they have a bar soap)
4711 (yep, they have a bar soap also)
AoS Sandalwood
Mama Bear Brut
Bath House
Soap Commander - several

I go through a bar of shampoo soap and a bar of shower soap every month, and currently have 2 bars to use up. I might buy more soon, but I know I shouldn't. What helps me is how long I take to choose bars. I don't buy bars from any big stores or anything, but from local soap makers or one-person shops.

Now you raise an interesting question! (Not sure I want to know how I am fixed for bath soap. It will likely be measured in years!)

Last Christmas I gave away about 20lbs of home made soaps. That was about half of my stash. I make more occasionally as a hobby. It costs about $3 for a 2lb batch depending on the ingredients used. That usually nets about 8-9 bars depending on how precise I cut it.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have 8 Stirling bars. Only because I bought quite a few to save on shipping. I just use them up and then reorder.

I like trying different bar soaps and keep 2 different ones opened. My primary soap is always Grandpa's Pine Tar soap that I buy in 6 packs. My current 2nd soap is Nubian Heritage African Black soap. I like that one and will be picking up more of those. In a drawer, I have at least 6 Grandpa pine tar soaps, several bars of Grandpa's Witch Hazel & Epsom Salt, a couple of Yardleys, some South of France, Neutrogena Facial bars and an Ogallala Bay Rum. I may have more bar soaps than shave soaps which is scary.

Gave away a lot honestly, went on a bit of buying spree a while ago and decided to declutter by giving away a bunch of artisan bars and foreign soaps I wasn't in love with. I kept the Yardley, Mysore, a couple of bars I bought in Montreal, Ivory, Dr. Bronner's, Cetaphil and Dove Men + Care and Dove white. Still a lot of soap to get through but it's more manageable now.

Okay, I have a three plus year supply of shaving soap. But I have a few bars of soap for the shower, also. Just counted: 32 bars. Some are Yardley, others triple milled Italian. Trader Joe's, Tuesday Morning, dollar store, etc. I have been pretty good the last three or four months, but soap just seems to leap from the shelf to my shopping basket. Anyone else find themselves awash in bars of soap?

Yay! I am down to just eleven bars! It will soon be time to purchase a few new soaps. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
You have certainly worn them down. Anything new that has taken your interest?

I have been a good boy; no purchases since 2017.

It is a small indulgence, but so nice to use quality soap.

Current stash should run out about Thanksgiving or so.

Update. I got down to just six. Picked up a couple Yardley rose bars today.
I have some Stirling soaps I like, and just got a quadruple-milled bar of No.63 that’s really good. Since you seem to have a lot of experience with the bath soaps, are there any must-try bars? Something that you’ve used and just think “damn this is some good soap”?

Iloverootbeer, no special expertise here. Yardley, in assorted flavors, remains my old and cheap faithful bar, often priced at a dollar or less.

Size can be an issue. Some of the lovely Italian soaps are huge; okay for a tub, perhaps, but awkward in a shower stall.

My experience with farmers market soaps has been underwhelming.

Like with shaving, water hardness is a concern.

:)

Iloverootbeer, no special expertise here. Yardley, in assorted flavors, remains my old and cheap faithful bar, often priced at a dollar or less.

Size can be an issue. Some of the lovely Italian soaps are huge; okay for a tub, perhaps, but awkward in a shower stall.

My experience with farmers market soaps has been underwhelming.

Like with shaving, water hardness is a concern.

:)
Thanks for the reply. I have heard of Yardley many times but haven’t tried them yet. Now I will.

I hoard soaps, TK Maxx has stock so infrequently that I grab 10 to 15 bars at a time. I also order sulphur soap in bulk, and annually order 50 to 100 bars from Provence Sante. My PS order utilizes a 50% discount code and achieves the limit for free European shipping. I also hoard Middle Eastern soap, I go through fads of using it.

Top Bottom