What's new

BassPlayerBoz's Straight Razor Shaving Journal

121st outing (113th full SR shave).... meh...

This shave was Saturday night. It's been a couple of weeks since my last SR shave - again, due to our crazy holiday schedules. Switched to using the WSP Rustic Citrus Blast - MUCH improved lather both in terms of ease of generation and persistence. Slickness was at least as good as the PdP, so.... overall, I like it much better.

I got a little better shave than the last couple of times w/ just a bit more irritation than the last couple of times. But the next day, I shaved with the electric razor. And that back-to-back electric-straight comparison really showed how "not-so-very-close" my SR shaves actually are. I actually got a much closer shave with the electric razor on my jawline, chin, & neck areas. Cheeks were better with the straight, but my results with the straight everywhere else are sadly lacking. And I thought that shave the night before was actually a little better than the previous two ==> a little frustrated, but still moving forward.

I have a feeling that I'd improve faster if I switched to uing the SR everyday. But I'm not planning to do that as I believe I'd likely get in a hurry more often & cause as many problems as I solve

So....

The journey continues....

122nd outing (114th full SR shave).... a little better... but still meh...

This shave was last night (Wed). Used a new soap from the Gentleman's Chamber in the Tucson Mall - "Black". I understood from SkypSyd when I visited there a while back that their soaps come from WSP... which is my favorite soap so far. And the "Black" is tallow-based (WSP Formula T w/ different packaging? Maybe?) ==> I thought this combo of tallow & ease of lathering would improve my experience. Well... perhaps it did... a little.

I ended up with a little better shave than the last couple of times w/ a little less irritation than the last time. Cheeks were pretty decent (CCS & even DFS in a few spots). Jawlines were still not as good as I can get with a DE, but they were actually better than I expected based on my last few SR outings - maybe SAS/CCS. Neck areas were also better than I expected (SAS). Still nowhere near as good as with the DE, but I expected really awful results on my neck so generally SAS there was a pleasant surprise. I still had more irritation than I'd prefer, but it was actually less than I've gotten on a few outings over the last couple of months w/ my Shark SC blades in the Maggard V3, V3A, V3OC, Slant & Merkur 27C Slant.

I liked the Gentleman's Chamber soap, but I'm not sure it's as good as I remember my WSP Formula T being. But that could be some recall bias at work. I'd have to "A/B" them to be certain. Still using the Stirling Executive Man post shave balm after my SR shaves - really like that stuff! Good soothing & moisturizing properties.

Overall, a little better than last time, but still nowhere near where I thought I'd be after being over 100 shaves into this endeavor. But I'm stubborn so I'll keep moving forward.

So....

123rd outing (115th full SR shave).... reasonable... so, improving again....

This shave was Saturday night. Used a soap sample from the Gentleman's Chamber in the Tucson Mall - "Cedar Rose". As I wrote previously, I understood from SkypSyd when I visited there a while back that their soaps come from WSP... and ... perhaps is a factor in my decent SR shaves lately (i.e the last couple).

I ended up with a little better shave than the last couple of times w/ a little less irritation than the last time. Cheeks were pretty decent (CCS & even DFS in a few spots). Jawlines were still not as good as I can get with a DE, but they were actually better than I expected - still SAS/CCS, but just a bit better than last outing. Neck areas were a slight improvement, but still SAS. Not as good as with the DE, but also with less irritation than I had last time (actually, it was much less than those last few DE shaves with the Shark Blades.)

Still using the Stirling Executive Man post shave balm after my SR shaves - really like that stuff! Gonna mis that when I finally use it up & move on to trying something new, but there seem to be so many good choices to try.

Overall, not a giant improvement, but still a little better than last time (any kind of improvement is good, right?) Not as good as I hoped, but the fact that I seem to be improving again is encouraging (Perhaps because I'm getting more routine practice.... maybe?)

124th outing (116th full SR shave).... slight improvement in most areas...

This shave was this past Saturday night. Used another soap sample from the Gentleman's Chamber in the Tucson Mall - "Dublin Tweed" this time.

Shave was fairly consistent with my results last time overall. Cheeks were pretty decent (CCS & even DFS in a few spots). Jawlines still SAS/CCS, but slightly better than last outing. Neck areas were also a slight improvement, but still SAS & with a little less irritation than mt prior shave

Still using the Stirling Executive Man post shave balm after my SR shaves with good results.

Overall, my self-assigned grades for my results in each area remain the same... but with the recognition that there was an very slight improvement in nearly all areas (i.e. a touch less irritation & slightly closer, but not so much as to change my ratings.)

125th outing (117th full SR shave).... meh...

This shave was this last night (Wed) & was the first in a few weeks due to craziness of kids & schedules. Soap was WSP Rustic Citrus Blast.

Shave was... OK... I guess. It was maybe a little worse than last time, but it's been a while so I can't be certain. Cheeks were not quite as close as I usually expect, but were still decent (CCS & even DFS in a spot or 2). Upper jawline was maybe CCS (maybe, but the lower jawline was SAS at best. Neck areas were also SAS (at best) with a few spots that were not even up to that level. So closeness is is fair/ acceptable, but irritation was failry mild (much less than what I was expecting after a 3 week layoff from the SR.) It didn't help that wife & 7-yr old grand-daughter decided to take a shower and then my 3-yr old grandson also bounded into the bathroom & proceeded to shout/ play in there during my 3rd pass (the ATG pass.) To me, that's the critical one where I tend to either feel like I'm getting close (or not) & giving my self elevated irritation levels (or not). But I felt like I managed to do OK in spite of the distractions ==> can't blame the kiddos for not getting a BBS shave & no irritation. My continuing fair/ "meh" results are all on me.

Stirling Executive Man post shave balm is still going strong.

Overall, ....meh. barely fair results with little enough irritation. Not great, but better than I expected after not having picked up the SR for a while. Still, it's frustrating to feel my neck the morning after & realize that I could have gotten closer there with an electric razor. Still keeping at it hoping the "touch" will develop eventually.

126th outing (118th full SR shave).... after a layoff of over a month... reasonable (I guess)...

This shave was this Saturday (2 days ago) & was the first in a while due to a 2-week trip to Tampa and the usual schedule issues around the house. And the last one was after a few weeks off ==> I'm flirting w/ lack of practice becoming a source of any SR issues. Soap was Catie's Bubble Pomander.

I thought the shave was reasonable considering the long layoff. Cheeks were actuallu quite good - DFS/BBS (in some places) with little/ no irritation. Upper jawline was not that good, but better than I expected - maybe CCS. But the lower jawline was SAS at best. Neck areas were generally CCS (better than I expected) with very mild irritation (MUCH better than I expected.) only had 1 small weeper on my neck, but that was easily closed up.

Stirling Executive Man post shave balm was nice as usual.

Overall, .... closeeness is still on par with an electric razor (overall). But irritation levels were mild, so I call that a success - especially after over a month without touching the SR.

127th outing (119th full SR shave).... another "month +" between SR shaves... decent results considering...

This shave was this Saturday (2 days ago) & was again the first in a while. Schedules seem to be making my SR shaves a "special occasion" the last few months. ==> it's looking more & more like "lack of practice" will be the source of any problems I have w/ the SR. Soap was again Catie's Bubble Pomander (didn't plan to use the same soap as last time; it just so happened to be the one I grabbed.)

Shave was quite decent considering the long layoff before the last SR shave and an even longer layoff prior to this one. Cheek areas were actually quite good again - DFS/BBS (in some places) with little/ no irritation. Upper jawline was overall pretty decent - maybe CCS (overall). There were a few spots that were barely adequate, but overall I was happy considering my lack of practice. The lower jawline was a bit worse overall & very inconsistent. It seemed that where I had good results on the upper jawline, right below that on the lower jawline was mediocre at best. And in the spot on the upper jawline that where trouble areas, the lower jawline directly below was a little better (not much, but a little.) Neck areas were - for the most part - CCS (which - like last time - was much better than I expected) with surpisingly mild irritation. There were some spots that were a little worse (SAS/ barely adequate/ could have done as well/ better w/ the electric), but overall my results were reasonably decent.

Overall, .... I actually thought that - overall - this shave was a little better than I can get w/ the electric razor. Not a lot better, but still better. Irritation levels were fairly mild (and certainly no more than I've experienced lately w/ a few of my DE razor/ blade/ soap combos.) So maybe the layoffs are what I needed. Perhaps I'd developed some bad habits or complacency that I needed some breaks to "un-learn". Who knows? Still...

128th outing (120th full SR shave).... frequency getting less... over a month & a half between SR shaves this time... but on the up side, still decent results considering the extended breaks....

This shave was this past Saturday (3 days ago) & was again the first in a while for the same reasons the last few have been delayed. Used a super-lather combo of Nivea Sensitive Cream & a VDH puck I'm in the process of 3017ing.

Shave was again quite decent considering the long layoff and I was again happy with the result given the lack of practice lately. Like last time, cheek areas were better than others (generally). Upper/ lower jawlines were hit/ miss, and generally barely adeequate. Neck areas were - for the most part - again, CCS with relatively mild irritation. Results were nowhere near as good as with the DE, but I think were better than I can get w/ the electric, so.... that's good.

I did forget a part of my routine, though. On my second pass, I typically start on my neck & work up. Forgot about that this time until I got there & my lather seemed to be thinning out (due to me taking my time.) Oh well... hopefully, I can get back to working the SR shaves into my schedule more often ==> will get back into a "routine". We shall see...

129th outing (121st full SR shave).... frequency better this time (only a week since the last SR shave) ...still decent results considering the extended breaks, but was in a hurry & paid for it (a little)

This shave was this past Saturday (2 days ago) & I again used a super-lather combo of Nivea Sensitive Cream & a VDH puck I'm in the process of 3017ing.

Shave was not really all that close - maybe SAS at best overall. Results were sinilar to last week with every area being just a tad less close, but my chin area was especially rough. Not a lot of irritation, but just couldn't get close at all there.

I was under some time pressure due to a scheduling SNAFU that left me with a lot less time than I'd prefer when using the SR. Still... I wanted to get back into the habit of using/ practicing with so I decided to go for it anyway with the intention of not rushing/ trying for too close a shave. I think I partially succeeded in that effort as my end result was a not very close shave (again, maybe SAS at best), but I didn't have a lot of irritation ==> I was self-disicplined enough to not pursue it or rush the process no matter the results.

I can't help but wonder if my edge is in need of refreshment. After this shave, I pulled out the CrOx/ FeOx balsa strop I got when I got these SRs from Larry @ Whipped Dog, made about 20-30 laps on each, then made 40 passes on the leather strop. Blade not doing so hot on the arm hair test. It'll still cut hairs about 1/2" or so off my arm, but will also pull a bit ==> tells me the edge is maybe not up to par. Not sure of the cause as it could be a number of things like my p$%&-poor technique, or rolling the edge with my equally poor stropping technique, or a combination of both. One thing is for certain - if I can't figure out how to at least maintain/ refresh an edge, it's going to get a little cost prohibitive to keep SR shaving. (Not going to want to spend $20-$30 every 20-30 shaves to keep an edge honed.) So.... I plan to get some lapping film in the 12k grit range (& maybe also in the 8k grit range) to put on some marble tiles in an attempt to learn how to at least maintain an edge. (not really interested in getting into bevel setting & sharpening SRs from scratch.) I'm also figuring I could maybe learn to do this with my inexpensive WD SRs & then - when I figure this whole thing out - maybe get some decent 8k & 12k-15k stones (by Shapton, Naniwa, et al) so I can effectively maintain edges on my more expensive SRs that I don't dare touch with my current lack of skill.

Top Bottom