What's new

BassPlayerBoz's Shave Journal

7 a.m. w/ the Merkur 37C Slant, C.O. Bigelow/ GC Black super-lathers, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Revisiting these blades. 2nd set of 1st impressions ==> they're OK I guess....

Got 8 shaves out of it. I think the last time I used these I experienced a bit more irritation overall ==> maybe that means I'm better at this DE thing now. Who knows? Not too uch irritation, but had 2-3 weepers per shave in the first 3-4 shaves - no matter how much care I took. None of them were bad, but it was frustrating.

Stuckk with the GC Black / C.O Bigelow super-lather as it was still working & I had enough of the GC Black to get me through these two weeks. But that's it for the GC black. The few small chiks I had left were relegated to the scrap/ franken-soap container yesterday.

Next up will be the 7 a.m.'s in the DE89...

7 a.m. w/ the EJ DE89, Catie's Bubble Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Got 8 solid shaves out this combo. I again had 2-3 weepers per shave in the first 3-4 shaves even trying to be careful given my recent experience with these blades in the Merkur 37C Slant. Irritation levels were generally pretty mild. My 8th shave yielded a bit more irritation than the previous shaves, but it could have been that I was rushing a little & allowed my technique to suffer ==> can't pin that one on the blade. And even so, the irritation was not really too bad... maybe a "moderate" level. It was just pretty apparent when contrasted with the mild/ zero irritation I'd achieved in the shaves right before that one.

One noticeable change from some previous outings... I'd thought that whatever gives the soaps their "citrus-y" and/or "spicy" scents might be a main cause of some of my irritation. While I still think they might amplify the issue once I have any, I think that if I have the right blade/ razor/ technique combination & don't cause any irritation with those... then the scented solutions in the soap don't matter as much. I know I've experienced elevated irritation levels with the WSP Rustic Citrus, GC Black, and Caties Bubbles Pomander & La Vert Orange that I didn't get with others like Haslinger, Stirling, WSP Formula T Matterhorn, et al. But the CB Pomander was fine this go around (in addition to being very easy/ quick to lather.)

However.... first shave with the 7a.m. in the Maggard V3 (which to me is quite a bit more aggressive than the DE89 - even though many on B&B say it's a virtual clone of the DE89) last night with the CB Pomander left my face feeling like it was on frickin' fire. Also had 3 pretty nice weepers that took a while to stop bleeding. Shave was one of the closest I've ever had - BBS in most places - so... there was that. But it was definitely not worth the irritation. Hoping I can adjust & get some better results over the next couple of weeks. We shall see....

7 a.m. w/ the Maggard V3, Catie's Bubble Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Got 8 shaves out this combo... but not so solid shaves this time. In fact, each shave seemed to be a challenge. It seems that first shave with this combo was not really a fluke. No matter how much care I took, I got 3-4 weepers per shave and irritation levels were med-high moderate with a few being pretty damned bad. Fortunately, my face never "looked" all that bad the next morning (I shave before bed in the evening. My beard is relatively light/ thin enough & grows slow enough that I can get away with that) But for a few hours after a couple of those shaves, I felt like I'd shaved with a piece of broken glass.

I will concede that I did get some very close shaves - but they were nowhere near "comfortable". One was BBS in most places, but with some pretty elevated irritation levels to go along with it - Not worth the trade-off, IMHO. So... I'll try to avoid this particular razor/ blade combo in the future.

CB Pomander/ WD Sivertip & Nivea balm have been great as usual ==> definitely sticking with those for the time being.

Next up - another 7 a.m. in teh Maggard V3A

7 a.m. w/ the Maggard V3A, Catie's Bubbles Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Got another 8 shaves out this combo with a little better results than w/ the V3. In general, I had less irritation/ weepers (though I did get more than I'd prefer of both on a shave or three.) I did again get some very close shaves... with some elevated irritation levels, but not near as bad as with the V3. Overall, I could maybe learn to use/ deal with this combo effectively. But given the degree of trouble I've had with this blade in my other razors lately, I might not use this brand again. Still... since I'm stubborn ... and cheap... I intend to use the rest of them up unless I should start requiring stitches after each shave.

CB Pomander/ WD Sivertip & Nivea balm still A-OK ==> planning to use up the CB Pomander before moving on to anything else.

Next up - another 7 a.m. in the Maggard V3OC

7 a.m. w/ the Maggard V3OC, Catie's Bubbles Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Not too much to update this time....

Performance was nearly indentical to that I saw in the V3A (previous entry) - close shaves, a bit more irritation than I'd prefer on 2-3 shaves, & a weeper or 2 here & there. This was my last 7 a.m.

Next up - the first of the 4 Gillette 7 O'Clock "Greens" (that I have left from when I initially tried them) in the Maggard Slant.

7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Greens) w/ the Maggard Slant, Catie's Bubbles Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Performance was consistent w/ what I remember the last time. Fairly solid DFS's. I did get a weeper or two here & there and a shave or two w/ a bit more irritation than I'd generally want to endure long term. But in most of those instances, I attribute my problems too operator error (i.e. me being in a hurry and/or not paying attention.) So overall, blade/ razor combo was still pretty good (IMHO.)

Soap, brush, balm were still very nice. Starting to get to the end of the CB Pomander. Still have a few more weeks w/ it easily, but am uncertain when I'll actually run out. (The middle bottom of the container is free of soap now, but there is still plenty along the outside ==> no idea how long it will last, but I'm definitely on the downhill side of usage.)

Next up - the 2nd of the 4 Gillette 7 O'Clock "Greens" (that I have left from when I initially tried them) in the Merkur 37C Slant.

7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Greens) w/ the Merkur 37C (Slant), Catie's Bubbles Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Performance was again consistent w/ what I remember the last time. Fairly solid DFS's on all 8 shaves & a bit smoother than the same blade type in the Maggard Slant (i.e. less irritation/ fewer weepers.)

Soap, brush, balm were still very nice. CB Pomander running lower, but still going strong. Bottom of the container is free of soap & I'm using up what's along the side walls. Still think I have a few more weeks before it runs out.

Next up - the 3rd of the 4 Gillette 7 O'Clock "Greens" & back to the EJ DE89

7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Greens) w/ the EJ DE89, Catie's Bubbles Pomander, Nivea Sensitive post shave balm, & WD Silvertip

Nice blade in the DE89. Got 8 solid DFSs. Had a slight bit of elevated irritation levels on the last few shaves, but it was very manageable.

Soap, brush, balm were still very nice. CB Pomander is still hangin' in there. I think the side walls still have 2-3 more weeks of soap left on them. We'll see.

Next up - the last of my Gillette 7 O'Clock "Greens" in the Maggard V3.

Top Bottom