What's new

Basic ?? - Razor/Blade Care...

Hello Gents...just completed my first Safety Razor shave last night with a Merkur HD and I have a couple very basic questions...

1. When you say you get 4 or 5 shaves from a particular blade, is that the number total for a blade or the number for each side of one blade?

2. I noticed a small film of cream residue on my razor head after I shaved, should I remove that after each shave, and if so, what's the best way to do that? finally...

3. Should you remove your blade after each shave, or do you just shake off as much water as you can and leave it in?

I hope I don't bore you with these silly questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the job right...Thanks!

Shorty Long said:
1. When you say you get 4 or 5 shaves from a particular blade, is that the number total for a blade or the number for each side of one blade?

While I only get 2 or 3 shaves from each blade, that is the total for the blade. I tend to use both sides of the razor throughout my shave. I expect that most others here do the same.

Shorty Long said:
2. I noticed a small film of cream residue on my razor head after I shaved, should I remove that after each shave, and if so, what's the best way to do that?

I just rinse the razor (and the blade within) as well as possible and then dry it as best I can. If you decide to take the blade out and clean it, then the best way to do so is carefully so that your fingers remain uncut (and be sure not to dull the cutting edge).

Shorty Long said:
3. Should you remove your blade after each shave, or do you just shake off as much water as you can and leave it in?

See #2 above.

Shorty Long said:
Hello Gents...just completed my first Safety Razor shave last night with a Merkur HD and I have a couple very basic questions...

2. I noticed a small film of cream residue on my razor head after I shaved, should I remove that after each shave, and if so, what's the best way to do that? finally...

I hope I don't bore you with these silly questions, but I just want to make sure I'm doing the job right...Thanks!

Well Mr. Long,
These are not silly questions and have been asked dozens of times on the forum. While it may only be shaving, we are not born with DE wetshaving skills. They are learned and passed on. So let us answer these questions carefully and one at a time.

In response to:
"1. When you say you get 4 or 5 shaves from a particular blade, is that the number total for a blade or the number for each side of one blade?"
Most, if not all (until you asked:biggrin1: ), gents alternate sides of a DE blade on alternating strokes, or some number of strokes. Okay, a large number, if not most. They don't save the southside of the blade for Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays and use the northside on the other days.

"2. I noticed a small film of cream residue on my razor head after I shaved, should I remove that after each shave, and if so, what's the best way to do that? " If it is cream residue and it does not rinse off at the end of the shave, it is probably the dread soap scum. Usually a hot water rinse gets it, but if your combination of soap/cream and your local water resists rinsing, usually a short soak in hot water laced with gentle dishwashing liquid (Dawn comes to mind) will remove it on a weekly, monthly,m quarterly, semi-annual, or annual basis depending upon how bad it is and how much it bothers you. If it doesn't get removed by this simple and gentle approach, be prepared for the thousands of different chemicals used by the B&B community to be suggested by your fellows here.

"3. Should you remove your blade after each shave, or do you just shake off as much water as you can and leave it in?"
I do not know what kind of blade you use, nor do I know if they have the caveats that most, modern, coated stainless steel blades have on their containers, but assumming that you are using one of the aforementioned, simply put NO! Do not remove the blade, do not dry it with a towel or other cloth, just rinse it (while it is still in the razor) and allow it to air dry in the open.

Hope that helps.

1. I get about 5 shaves as a total for the blade (depends on the blade). I rotate the sides as I shave.
2. I just rinse the assembled razor and pat dry after every shave. If you need to clean your razor, a toothbrush and hot water seems to work fine. You can also use a number of different cleaners if it's a lot of buildup.
3. I don't. You change blades often enough there isn't worry for rust.

I also get around 5 shaves from each blade and flip it over several times during each. I change blades after every fourth shave just to make sure I don't get caught with a dull blade. They are so cheap I don't worry about it too much.

I also simply rinse the razor when finished but once a month I put it through the dishwasher. I like to believe that this disinfects as well as cleans. Not sure if it does but it certainly doesn't hurt.
Cheers,
Jeff

Ron,

You are mistaken. We are ALL born with wetshaving skills. They just lay dormant waiting to be exercised! :001_rolle

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Ron,

You are mistaken. We are ALL born with wetshaving skills. They just lay dormant waiting to be exercised! :001_rolle

Randy

Randy,

I think that you mean "exorcised." :em1500: :devil:

Shorty Long said:

Shorty,
Here is my take:
1. You will find others get a variable number of shaves from different blades and so will you. Unfortunately, you have to try them and see when they tend to get dull and drag, and then try to remember to take the blade out one shave earlier next time. In terms of blade "side rotation", I usually shave one side of my face with one side of the razor and then flip it over for the other side. I do this for every pass.

2. I am one of those that hates to see any amount of residue on my razor at any time. What I do is take apart my merkur hd after using it and briefly wipe it down to remove any residue. If I am using my superspeed or fatboy with the twist-to-open design I will open them up, take the blade out, wipe it down, and re-insert the blade.

3. I tend to lay the blade on a towel, fold the towel in half and press it to try to get it dry. That said, many guys here will say that wiping the blade will dull it. Not sure if blotting up the water spots will do the same.

Man, some of y'all are hardcore. I'm WAAY too lazy.

I get five shaves out of a blade. I get that number because I change blades on Monday. Creature of habit; what can i say?

We have very hard water and I'll have a hazy razor after one shave; I take it apart and just rub it with a towel when dry and it seems to clean up just fine. I also just leave the blade in the razor rather than removing it to dry it or some such. Like I said: lazy!

1. I get about 4-6 shaves from most blades.

2. After each shave, I rinse the razor with hot water and dry it off with a towel. I try to use the edge of the towel to get in the tight spots.

3. I remove the blade after each shave.

Top Bottom