What's new

Barrister & Mann Petrichor

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Just received my order ... I did order the accompanying aftershave, and again I haven't shaved, but I dabbed some on my wrist and it's very understated at first blush. It doesn't seem to have much staying power but again, it's not on my face after a shave, so we'll see after that...

That has been my experience with the Petrichor aftershave ... "understated" with very, very minimal "staying power." As mentioned elsewhere -- everywhere! -- the soap is amazing, both in performance & in scent.

That has been my experience with the Petrichor aftershave ... "understated" with very, very minimal "staying power." As mentioned elsewhere -- everywhere! -- the soap is amazing, both in performance & in scent.

I think this is the reason I will end up ordering the aftershave. I love the smell, but don't want it to be lingering or overpowering all day if I use the soap and aftershave. Used the Petrichor soap today, fantastic! And it was raining while I was shaving....pretty close to the smell here in the NW actually! Not spot on, but decently close! and fantastic performance!

hummm... I'm thinking Will may need to take these impressions & reviews under consideration with regard to an EdT. That said, getting the projection, presence and persistence just right in something expected to smell nice and last a couple of hours or so could be an exceptionally challenging end result to achieve.

Last edited:
hummm... I'm thinking Will may need to take these impressions & reviews under consideration with regard to an EdT. That said, getting the projection, presence and persistence just right in something expected to smell nice and last a couple of hours or so could be an exceptionally challenging end result to achieve.

EdT? Sorry, new around here... not sure what EdT is? thanks!

aye. @GurrCentral. Will at Barrister and Mann has been introducing some longer lasting fragrance juices this year. The ones I've tried are as well thought out as his soaps and aftershave lotions. In the recent instance, Night Music, each source of the fragrances he presents build and reinforce the themes he sets up with the soap. It's so over the top when we got into this because the soaps made the shave go well and rinsed off nice with a soft suppleness on the skin... but, like the traditional sources of all things men & woman's perfumes, he's demonstrating some "l33t skilz" in imagining combinations, building locks, and developing satisfying presence and last on the skin. Or, at least, that's my take! as is said often here: mileage may vary!

Finally shaved with Petrichor ... the performance is just amazing. I couldn't believe how thick the lather was. I still wish the aftershave was a bit stronger and had more staying power, but the scent of the soap is just phenomenal. When I took my brush to the soap it smelled just like the first moments after a rain. It's awesome.

Have a tub of Petrichor that should arrive in the mail sometime today. Looking forward to giving it a shot, had a chance to sniff the scent and it smells great.

Hey, what about comparing it to Southern Witchcrafts Tres Matres? I mean specifically comparing the petrichor scent between them.
I don't find Tres Matres to have an especially strong petrichor scent to it. I'll have to pull out my B&M Petrichor to compare, but by memory I think that B&M is the winner as to my view of petrichor.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not an artisan soap/cream, but maybe try a sample of Trumper‘s Eucris. Check out the fragrance notes and reviews on Fragrantica or Basenotes.

Lol....I read the description and thought it sounded interesting. Smells like what B&M says.....just wasn't ready for it. :biggrin1:

:thumbup: Not everyone's cup of tea - Christopher Brosius makes an EdC called - yes - "Dirt." And that's exactly the fragrance - to my nose similar to red Georgia clay, and surprisingly pleasant. But best blended, methinks, with other more familiar notes, although I quite like B&M's interpretation, which to me is exactly like rain on hot, dusty rocks in the field. Sort of a baseline for everything else that says it contains "petrichor." Factoid: a fairly recent addition to the palette of fragrances, first described in 1964 in Nature, vol. 201, No. 4923 (March 7, 1964), pp. 993-95 "Nature of argillaceous odour," by a couple of Australian minerologists, Isabel Bear and Richard Thomas.

Top Bottom