What's new

Barrister & Mann Petrichor

Just shaved with Petrichor.

Scent: This very much smells like petrichor, but it's not my idea of Pacific Northwest petrichor. It's definitely damp and dirty smelling with a big note tangy-ness that smells not unlike apple pie. My understanding is that petrichor smells different based on your location, so I won't take points off for it. But whatever it is, it smells amazing!

Performance: Oh dear god, this is maybe the best performance I've experienced on a first try. Super slick, super cushiony.

So this isn't quite what I expected, but that's on me. For what it is this is a keeper. I look forward to using this for years to come! 9/10. I don't do 10s.

Arctique review coming soon.

Thank you for the review. It's very insightful that it isn't really a PacNW petrichor, since my wife is from Yamhill originally. I still might have to consider it even though I just got a sample pack from Will.

I'm curious about it, but think I'm gonna pass. As much as I love mossy, earthy, damp, grassy scents for my cologne, I don't really like to shave with them.

Last edited:
I'm curious about it, but think I'm gonna pass. As much as I love mossy, earthy, damp, grassy scents for my cologne, I don't really to shave with them.

+1

Also the Petrichor scent is a vegan soap. B&M makes a nice vegan soap but I prefer his tallow /lanolin soaps. I picked up some of the Lavanille which is tallow based with lanolin. It arrived today, havent shaved with it yet but the scent is fantastic, lavander / vanilla / cedar undertones. Quite nice. I am looking forward to trying it.

+1

Also the Petrichor scent is a vegan soap. B&M makes a nice vegan soap but I prefer his tallow /lanolin soaps. I picked up some of the Lavanille which is tallow based with lanolin. It arrived today, havent shaved with it yet but the scent is fantastic, lavander / vanilla / cedar undertones. Quite nice. I am looking forward to trying it.

The list of ingredients on my jar reads :

Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Ricinoleate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Coconut Milk, Fragrance/Parfum, Sodium Shea Butterate, Carthamus tinctorius hybrid (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Allantoin, Lanolin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol Acetate, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

I see 2 kinds of tallowate, so how is this vegan? I believe that this is a glissant soap, so not vegan.

The list of ingredients on my jar reads :

Potassium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Ricinoleate, Potassium Shea Butterate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Coconut Milk, Fragrance/Parfum, Sodium Shea Butterate, Carthamus tinctorius hybrid (Hybrid Safflower) Seed Oil, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Allantoin, Lanolin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Citrate, Tocopherol Acetate, Hydrolyzed Silk Protein

I see 2 kinds of tallowate, so how is this vegan? I believe that this is a glissant soap, so not vegan.

Looks like you revived a 3 year old soap. Maybe an older release was vegan. But yes the new release is the glissant base

Last edited:
Looks like you received a 3 year old soap. Maybe an older release was vegan. But yes the new release is the glissant base

No, re-read my post. I received a fresh bottle this very afternoon with the latest glissant formulation.

Snowman is the one who has the vegan soap...

No, re-read my post. I received a fresh bottle this very afternoon with the latest glissant formulation.

Snowman is the one who has the vegan soap...

Yea I had a typo I meant revived not received. I meant that this thread was created when the formula must have been vegan whereas now you are correct it is tallow based.

Actually I don't have any B&M soaps. I just commented with a "+1" to someone else's post. Not sure how everything underneath the +1 fell under my user? Very odd. Maybe something with the new format?

Anywho...I haven't had a B&M product in a few years and have no intention of purchasing any in the forseeable future. Cheers!

Actually I don't have any B&M soaps. I just commented with a "+1" to someone else's post. Not sure how everything underneath the +1 fell under my user? Very odd. Maybe something with the new format?

Anywho...I haven't had a B&M product in a few years and have no intention of purchasing any in the forseeable future. Cheers!

Just curious. What are you using now? (I've got some B&M, but most of my soaps are otherwise.)

The original Petrichor release, yes, three years ago now, was in Will's "Tre Citta" formulation, which is/was vegan.

I believe Will did another, EXTREMELY limited Petrichor release last year, or maybe the year before, but again, I believe it was vegan (or perhaps the older, non-glissant base).

This new iteration, which is far less limited, is in the new glissant base, so no, it is not vegan.

As was noted, this is a three year old thread.

Incidentally, mine arrives today. I CANNOT wait to get it. I've wanted this soap for a long time.

Got my maggard's sample in the mail yesterday, and I needed to shave badly.

Great scent! Smells just like damp soil/earth after a hard rain. I've tried three "rain" scents - L&L Grooming's After the Rain, Chiseled Face Summer Storm, and now this. L&L's scent is very pleasant, but didn't smell like "after the rain" at all to me. Summer Storm does smell very much like ozone/rain/damp earth, but it's a bit too pungent for me. B&M got this just right. Will at B&M is careful to say that this is based off of how damp earth after rain smells like in the New England area, but I grew up in Kansas and this "New England" scent smells just like the late afternoons in Kansas as a kid after a rain just ended.

This might have me doing something I've never done before - buying both a soap and aftershave of a particular B&M scent.

Well done, Will.

Just received my order ... and I'll agree with de_shave (though I haven't shaved with it yet), the scent of the soap is spot on. Our petrichor here in the midwest is likely a little different, but this scent is fantastic. I smell earth and/or mud, pine or fir, ozone and a hint of rain. It's complex and I'm eager to smell it when it's lathered.

I did order the accompanying aftershave, and again I haven't shaved, but I dabbed some on my wrist and it's very understated at first blush. It doesn't seem to have much staying power but again, it's not on my face after a shave, so we'll see after that.

Based on first smell, I can see myself ordering an extra tub of the soap before the production run ends.

Just curious. What are you using now? (I've got some B&M, but most of my soaps are otherwise.)

It's probably better suited for another thread. I'm getting away from artisan soaps in general and sticking with well established brands. The various iterations of Valobra, Haslinger, Tabac, etc. I run into allergy issues with many artisan soaps, B&M included. I'm better off sticking with high performers that don't cause problems. Many new artisans use tons of EO's and FO's and they wreak havoc with some allergies.

It's probably better suited for another thread. I'm getting away from artisan soaps in general and sticking with well established brands. The various iterations of Valobra, Haslinger, Tabac, etc. I run into allergy issues with many artisan soaps, B&M included. I'm better off sticking with high performers that don't cause problems. Many new artisans use tons of EO's and FO's and they wreak havoc with some allergies.

Got it. Makes sense--thanks!

I went into my local brick and mortar store and gave Petrichor a sniff, couldn't smell anything, at all. 99% sure its because I'm coming down from a cold, so I'll be going back soon to double-check.

Top Bottom