What's new

Barrister & Mann "Black Label"

I see this is now available from Maggard Razors. New scents, and $25 for the jar ($4-4.50/oz vs the standard $3.75-$4/oz). According to Facebook:

Barrister & Mann Black Label Tallow has been altered in order to lather far better in hard water. Additionally, these scents are available only from the retailers who carry the line and not from us directly, and each soap contains 5.5 oz rather than our usual 4. The line will expand over the next couple of months to include vegan soaps, alcohol aftershaves, aftershave gels (no synthetic polymers) and pre-shaves, all in matching scents.

Additionally, I'd like to note that the only one of the four that is not essential-oil-only is Beaudelaire, which is my own special creation. If essential oils are your thing, Black Label may be worth a look.

I will be on the lookout for reviews, but at this time I'm a cynic and wonder why Will felt the need to create a whole new line for his formula unlike when Synergy, Stirling, and Fine changed their formulas and just replaced the old with the new and improved.

Last edited:
$4/oz for the non-Beaudelaire scents. That's not terrible, but more than I usually pay per oz, especially with things like Catie's Bubbles that are so good at $2.50/oz. Still, I am tempted to try the Orange and Cedarwood, like my favorite Mike's OCBP.

Thanks for correcting me on the price of the non-Beaudelaire, Jake. I edited my original post.

This wasn't an all-around formula change, but an addition to the line. Like the CRSW Select soaps.

And both the original Tallow and Tre Citta (vegan) formulas have been modified several times along the way without price increases.

The Beaudelaire is already sold out. I picked up the Lavender, Orange and Sandalwood, luckily I got the Fougere's on the original release so I didn't have to think too much about purchasing these.

I had Baudelaire in my cart last night and was about to pull the trigger. Then I realized that with shipping included, I was about to drop over $30 on a soap and held myself back.:a6:

Yea I wouldnt be too critical of Will on this. He is creating a separate line, available from a single source, separate from his own web site. Yes it is a different formula than is regular offerings, but I dont see where he is changing his formula for soaps across the board. Its just an exclusive soap from a reputable single source supplier.

In addition, you mention how other soap makers chaged their formulas and continued on. If a puck of Cool was purchased in spring of 2012, new in the wrapper from the BST, how are we to know what version it is? Pumpkin 3.14 bought new last fall, is that 1.5, 2.0, or is that the original formula? Point being, its harder than heck to know for sure unless you buy straight from the maker and you specifically ask, then dont forget the info through the life of the puck. At least Will creating a new line through Maggard's, you wont have any doubt in your mind.

I picked up the orange and cedarwood as well as the Beaudelaire. Barrister & Mann are in my top 5 soaps. I really like them.

I'll be spending more than I should tomorrow...

Seeing how this is only available through retailers(Maggards currently) and not on B&M site, Im guessing this is his wholesale line. Im guessing it has better markup and retailers are more likely to carry it.

I just noticed the Maggard's Black series recently and also wondered why it wasn't shown on the B&M website. Thanks to Gig103 for the copy/paste from the Facebook page.

Top Bottom