What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
lol what? What exactly isn't fair and to whom is his statement unfair toward? Nobody said or suggested anything about discontinuing or restricting anything. He was complimenting Will's efforts to formulate a base to be reactive to as few people as possible and recognizing that it is, in fact, a greater effort than stating "just try another scent".
That’s how I read it as well. It’s an odd transition to go from shaving soap to death from nuts. That said, this Cheshire scent is h-e-a-v-enly!

I don't know how you can compare tree nuts with shave soaps. Anyone having a severe tree nut allergy already knows what not to eat and asks the common sense questions about where their food is coming from if they don't know; whereas a blended shave soap you buy on the internet- all bets are off. Use at your own risk. And in some cases some artisans can't be trusted as to what they decide to print in the ingredients list. I simply disagree with using already payed customers to test product. I know that Will seeks out testers for data and their inputs for the products he plans to drop before he drops it- and so i trust him, the ingredients list, and that I'm not going to burn my face off. I've never had a problem with his products, zero heat zero burn and to that end you don't hear others complaining, either.

Sorry, I know some
I don't know how you can compare tree nuts with shave soaps. Anyone having a severe tree nut allergy already knows what not to eat and asks the common sense questions about where their food is coming from if they don't know; whereas a blended shave soap you buy on the internet- all bets are off. Use at your own risk. And in some cases some artisans can't be trusted as to what they decide to print in the ingredients list. I simply disagree with using already payed customers to test product. I know that Will seeks out testers for data and their inputs for the products he plans to drop before he drops it- and so i trust him, the ingredients list, and that I'm not going to burn my face off. I've never had a problem with his products, zero heat zero burn and to that end you don't hear others complaining, either.

You seem to imply that Will is doing something that other artisans are not doing to protect his customers from irritation. I respectfully disagree. Every artisan has a group of testers who evaluate their product before release. Usually, these evaluations are done with unscented or lightly scented soaps. None of those test groups involve the thousands of test subjects that would be required to guarantee product safety. That is why the warnings exist.

Two of the soaps I have in my den are Le Grande Chypre and Seville. Both of those soaps cause significant skin irritation if I use them. These are both scents that continue to be made by Barrister and Mann. Will got my money; I got irritation. I do not see Barrister and Mann as any different in this respect than other artisans. I do not expect Will to alter the scent nor discintinue selling it to suit me. It is my problem and I have to deal with it.

Over time, I learned the scent notes to which I am most sensitive. I now read and evaluate ingredient lists and scent notes more carefully than I did in the past. No matter who the artisan may be, it is still buyer beware.

Sorry, I know some

You seem to imply that Will is doing something that other artisans are not doing to protect his customers from irritation. I respectfully disagree. Every artisan has a group of testers who evaluate their product before release. Usually, these evaluations are done with unscented or lightly scented soaps. None of those test groups involve the thousands of test subjects that would be required to guarantee product safety. That is why the warnings exist.

Two of the soaps I have in my den are Le Grande Chypre and Seville. Both of those soaps cause significant skin irritation if I use them. These are both scents that continue to be made by Barrister and Mann. Will got my money; I got irritation. I do not see Barrister and Mann as any different in this respect than other artisans. I do not expect Will to alter the scent nor discintinue selling it to suit me. It is my problem and I have to deal with it.

Over time, I learned the scent notes to which I am most sensitive. I now read and evaluate ingredient lists and scent notes more carefully than I did in the past. No matter who the artisan may be, it is still buyer beware.
I don't think you can arrive at much of that without making a LOT of assumptions on your part.

This is a thread about Barrister and mann soaps, so naturally the discussions are going to be aimed at Barrister and Mann. That doesn't mean other artisans aren't also conscious of allergens, but this isn't a that about those artisans so how can you declare barbarian as being unfair without making assumptions as to his thought process and intent?

Will directly stated that keeping reactions rates as low as possible was a primary concern while formulating Omnibus. Your happening to nonetheless be allergic to something doesn't negate those efforts and barbarian recognizing those effoets isn't unfair. Assuming that every other artisan is dedicated to the same level of effort would be just as presumptive as assuming that no other artisan is.

Leviathan
LGC
Seville
Angelique
Gothique
Melange
Chesire

Hannah's Dad

Well, even though I shaved this morning, I couldn’t wait till tomorrow to break out some tea-scented soap.

A 15-20 second load with my Paladin synthetic brush provided enough lather for 3+ sublime passes. I have found the following technique creates amazingly slick lather with Omnibus:

1. Soak synthetic for 30 seconds (I know, ‘they don’t hold water’ — I do it anyway);

2. Shake brush to remove excess water;

3. Load directly on puck for 15-20 seconds max, applying a bit of pressure on the puck;

4. Go directly to the face, applying the thick, sticky-ish lather, swirl and paint;

5. Spray mist over the face - I use an old eyeglasses cleaner bottle — 8-10 sprays;

6. The lather is now like an ice-skating rink - shave away.

With a synthetic, this lather just keeps on covering the face, pass after pass, with zero diminution. The third pass lather covers the face just as thick and low-structure as the first pass. Spraying the mist over the face makes this lather incredibly slick.

I just cannot replicate these results with my badger brushes — this base absolutely thrives on a synthetic knot. My first pass with a badger is great, but subsequent passes just get eaten up, even though I load for 1 minute or more.

With a mere 10-20 second load with a synthetic, the puck will last a very, very long time, and it just keeps on producing lather!

Anyway, this Cheshire scent is simply awesome. And this base? SAD Killer.

EED56D56-F5AA-4FB8-A7D7-DE23B8A3AD65.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, even though I shaved this morning, I couldn’t wait till tomorrow to break out some tea-scented soap.

A 15-20 second load with my Paladin synthetic brush provided enough lather for 3+ sublime passes. I have found the following technique creates amazingly slick lather with Omnibus:

1. Soak synthetic for 30 seconds (I know, ‘they don’t hold water’ — I do it anyway);

2. Shake brush to remove excess water;

3. Load directly on puck for 15-20 seconds max, applying a bit of pressure on the puck;

4. Go directly to the face, applying the thick, sticky-ish lather, swirl and paint;

5. Spray mist over the face - I use an old eyeglasses cleaner bottle — 8-10 sprays;

6. The lather is now like an ice-skating rink - shave away.

With a synthetic, this lather just keeps on covering the face, pass after pass, with zero diminution. The third pass lather covers the face just as thick and low-structure as the first pass. Spraying the mist over the face makes this lather incredibly slick.

I just cannot replicate these results with my badger brushes — this base absolutely thrives on a synthetic knot. My first pass with a badger is great, but subsequent passes just get eaten up, even though I load for 1 minute or more.

With a mere 10-20 second load with a synthetic, the puck will last a very, very long time, and it just keeps on producing lather!

Anyway, this Cheshire scent is simply awesome. And this base? SAD Killer.

View attachment 1365435
I have a crazy idea, I thought about it some and decided to share it.

Omnibus can be scraped out with your fingernail like I did above. But you are a face latherer and want a way to use your badger. How about rubbing it in your palms like a hair product then putting it on your face like a moisturizer? You might need a little water to get it to spread though. If you dip the tips of your brush into water and go right to your face, I bet you can get a lather to pop up because you only have a thin film. I know it is possible in a bowl, so it should be possible to find a way for face latherers.

Hannah's Dad

I have a crazy idea, I thought about it some and decided to share it.

Omnibus can be scraped out with your fingernail like I did above. But you are a face latherer and want a way to use your badger. How about rubbing it in your palms like a hair product then putting it on your face like a moisturizer? You might need a little water to get it to spread though. If you dip the tips of your brush into water and go right to your face, I bet you can get a lather to pop up because you only have a thin film. I know it is possible in a bowl, so it should be possible to find a way for face latherers.
Thanks for the suggestion — I’ll give it a try!

Top Bottom