What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

I've often read that the scent of Leviathan is like that of a cigarette chain smoker's leather jacket. Is that accurate, an exaggeration but with some truth, or a complete mischaracterization?

CB027414-BFAA-4A32-84A3-3B945CD6B709.jpeg

Yeah I was surprised too considering how there's no mention of tobacco in the scent notes, but a lot of people say it smells like cigarettes to their noses.

Fragrance is obviously a very personal thing (shared experience), but I haven't seen a lot of users including tobacco as a strong descriptor. Leviathan tends to be one of the semi-polarizing fragrances from Will (although the vast majority like it): Exhibit A:

B&M makes plenty that are full-fat polarizing (Roam, I'm talking to you), but Leviathan is pretty tame. Most, as described, smell the coffee, strong or weak, and the leather, but it's actually much more complex, with even floral notes. One of my favorite soaps from B&M or anyone....

Chain smoker? I don't get that at all. I feel like @Scaramouche nailed it. Personally I get the coffee most strongly, and persistently.

I get the chain smoker in a leather jacket thing same as Tabac smelling like old ladies purse. Leviathan is not smoky at all. But it's easy to make the connection to smokers. The sandalwood in the background rounds it all out. I dont get any floral.

Out of the tub I get leather and can see the smoky comments but it doesn't smell bad. I get some floral. But mostly leather. The splash gives me more coffee and some leather

Yesterday I didn't shave but today I'm back to omnibus for the 8th shave. I've noticed maybe one thing about this base that might be a negative for some. It lacks the residual slickness of some other artisan soaps, as milksteak is known for instance. There is no slippery film left after taking a pass with the razor. I just get the great post shave feel. Some that may be keeping score of base properties will certainly notice this about omnibus. It doesn't bother me at all. I prefer not having gunk left on my skin after a pass.
I pressed my pinky in the tub and left a divot. I wouldn't call it a croap. It's not a milled soap, either. Take that as you will.

Yesterday I didn't shave but today I'm back to omnibus for the 8th shave. I've noticed maybe one thing about this base that might be a negative for some. It lacks the residual slickness of some other artisan soaps, as milksteak is known for instance. There is no slippery film left after taking a pass with the razor. I just get the great post shave feel. Some that may be keeping score of base properties will certainly notice this about omnibus. It doesn't bother me at all. I prefer not having gunk left on my skin after a pass.
I pressed my pinky in the tub and left a divot. I wouldn't call it a croap. It's not a milled soap, either. Take that as you will.

I was never pleased with the residual slickness of the Glissant base and Reserve base soaps. I much preferred Excelsior and found SoftHeart to be similar in residual slickness.

As someone with sensitive skin and a beard that is difficult to cut, I need to use buffing strokes to get a close to BBS, especially on my jawline. Some of the very best soaps in my den have such a high level of residual slickness that I have performed a entire 4th pass (clean-up pass) without having to relather my face. It sounds like Omnibus won't allow me to do that. For those of you who can get away with fewer passes, it might not be important at all.

I was never pleased with the residual slickness of the Glissant base and Reserve base soaps. I much preferred Excelsior and found SoftHeart to be similar in residual slickness.

As someone with sensitive skin and a beard that is difficult to cut, I need to use buffing strokes to get a close to BBS, especially on my jawline. Some of the very best soaps in my den have such a high level of residual slickness that I have performed a entire 4th pass (clean-up pass) without having to relather my face. It sounds like Omnibus won't allow me to do that. For those of you who can get away with fewer passes, it might not be important at all.

Can you share your favorite soaps with high residual slickness for a fellow shaver with sensitive skin and growth that requires a lot of buffing around the jawline?

Without trying it, you can't possibly know if it will or won't. Not saying you should try it, but I prefer evaluations from people who have used the soap.

I may try it when Will releases a soap in a scent I am likely to enjoy. Unfortunately, I already have ten Barrister and Mann scents and not a single one is included in my list of favorite scents.

With over 200 soaps in my collection, I do not need to add a soap whose performance and scent are not superb. Neither the performance reports nor the scent comments of Omnibus Leviathan compel me to purchase.

I may try it when Will releases a soap in a scent I am likely to enjoy. Unfortunately, I already have ten Barrister and Mann scents and not a single one is included in my list of favorite scents.

With over 200 soaps in my collection, I do not need to add a soap whose performance and scent are not superb. Neither the performance reports nor the scent comments of Omnibus Leviathan compel me to purchase.

As I said, I don’t much care if you try it. I just think opinions from people who haven’t used it are unhelpful.

I was already well aware of your vaunted 200+ soap talking point, which would also seem to have no bearing on this thread.

I've often read that the scent of Leviathan is like that of a cigarette chain smoker's leather jacket. Is that accurate, an exaggeration but with some truth, or a complete mischaracterization?

I don't get that either. If anything I get a smell of berries in there somehow. The most prominent note for me is coffee, but when everything dries down the sandalwood stands out and I don't smell the coffee at all.

That is a very interesting observation. Residual slickness is an important quality to me and it would be strange if a base upgrade left it out. I don't think any of my top tier soaps don't have some residual slickness. OTOH I've become a big fan of the PAA Ice Cube so this may not be as big of a deal.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
After the final cold water rinse (and pat dry) following my shaves with Omnibus, my fingers literally squeaked down my cheeks — like the sound of a squeegee on glass. If that means that there’s no residual slickness, than so be it. I’ve never heard my fingers squeak down my cheeks like that with a soap — ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom