What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

I'm pretty sure I shouldn't buy anything anyway, but is it still available anywhere or is the omnibus Leviathan out of stock everywhere?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Dan, so am I to understand your favorite soap base, your #1, is the Sterling Mutton tallow base?

I'll have to put that on the list for around Christmas. That is if I can stay on the GRUME wagon until then. I don't have a stellar reputation with that, however.

proxy.php
Yes, John, the Stirling mutton base is tops in my den for its luxurious post-shave qualities. And, to me, it lathers like Tabac in that no real effort is needed to generate loads of slick, silky lather.

Hannah's Dad

Another 3 pass shave this morning with the new omnibus. Thick luxurious lather that just sticks thickly onto your face. The lather itself, while thick, has great movement on my face which tells me it's slick as ****. I would imagine straight razor users will especially love this soap base. It's almost oozy gel like in consistency but feels like velvet on the face just like the original PP8 soft heart base. I did begin to notice the dark flecks in the soap.
‘Sticky’ is a great adjective for it.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Hmmmm. I've read your comments on that before. Sounds like you found my Noble Otter Experience in the Mutton Tallow. Your favored scent in that base is Varen, correct?

Day two of my GRUME, want list:

• Noble Otter, The Night Before
  • Sterling Varen
  • SV one of the 4.3 that Marco recommends

It's not looking good for GRUME. Pray for me boys, and save yourselves!

Hannah's Dad

Hmmmm. I've read your comments on that before. Sounds like you found my Noble Otter Experience in the Mutton Tallow. Your favored scent in that base is Varen, correct?

Day two of my GRUME, want list:

• Noble Otter, The Night Before
  • Sterling Varen
  • SV one of the 4.3 that Marco recommends

It's not looking good for GRUME. Pray for me boys, and save yourselves!
Varen is a sublime, but strong, fougere. I really love it. I have every single mutton scent now, from the unscented Sheep to the really grassy Port-au-Prince. Six pucks! The one that I seem to reach for the most is Glacial Electric Sheep — can’t get enough of that soap.

I just don't smell the leather in Leviathan. It's described as Russian leather. Is that a certain type of fragrance that is different than leather jacket leather?

Edit: I have last year's edition in the soap and the year before last year's in the splash.
Several types of "leather" notes in fragrance profiles, to me. The more traditional is "Spanish leather," exemplified by GFT's soap/AS/EdT of the same name - sweet, spicy, sharp - almost "woodsy," the old "English leather" being almost a progenitor. It's a powerful fragrance, and very distinctive. CFG's Sherlock shares some of those notes, to me. Another is "saddle leather," the most scent-descriptive to me being A&E's Tertius. It's almost a pure fragrance, and if you've ever ridden a horse (minus the horse sweat :001_smile), immediately recognizable. Another is clothing - jacket, gloves, pants - and depending on the tanning process, very different fragrances, and usually much milder to my nose: you want your saddle to reek of leather, your clothes, maybe not so much. Leviathan is in that category, and almost the new "glove leather" scent, but considerably toned down and blended with other notes, coffee predominantly. That's what I get from Leviathan, the soap, and to some extent the AS - more like wearing nice driving gloves while drinking your Starbucks. 😁 The EdT, more like inhaling from the Guatemalan roast bin with your biker jacket hanging on the chair behind you....

Top Bottom