What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

I like the scrub of a badger or boar. I also couldn’t get some Grooming Dept bases to lather well with it. Some people complain about GD being hard to lather, but the Mallard and Kairos bases I would rate just below Ethos. So my personal ranking of bases for my skin are Ethos, GD Mallard, Kairos and Omnibus. Omnibus is great, I like it and use it a lot… but if s brush doesn’t do well lathering GD for me, I keep the soap not the brush.

Think of it like the Godfather… leave the gun, take the cannoli.
Thanks for sharing where you're coming from. I do want to say though that not all synthetic (fiber) brushes are the same. Some are very soft, you could argue almost too soft, but they aren't all this way. I have a couple that are on the softer side that have less backbone and a couple that are still soft in the tips but that have more backbone, similar to badger.

I don't think I know of any synthetics that can match the characteristics of boar hair but they can definitely match badger hair.

Anyway, I do believe options exist for you in the realm of synthetics that will meet your requirements and pass the GD test. We (B&B brethren) just need to enable you more. 😁

My preference to brush hair has synths last, behind boar and badger. But I don't mind keeping synths around if there are soaps with scents that I really like which work best with synths. The APShave G5c fan has worked very well for me, but the Muhle Silver Tip Fibre (STF) has my interest.

I am still evaluating samples of both Atomic Holiday and Fougere Classique. My one use of Atomic Holiday left me feeling that I likely would not order a set. Pleasant but not substantial enough. Great back story though.

Fougere Classique might be more up my alley. It seems more robust off the puck and by description.

Is Muir E Woods similar to Vespers? Is it worth having both??
I don't really think they are all that similar. Muir E Woods is hard to describe but I wasn't a fan. I wouldn't purchase Vespers but I liked quite a bit if that makes any sense? Vespers is fairly mousse de saxe forward so it lines up with the basenotes. A sort of creamy-spicy scent with some woods and cranberry to boot.

Just got a sample of Smoking Bishop and maybe it will change as it lathers but it reminds me of grape flavored candy or something I can't quite pinpoint? Christmas candy? lol...

I don't really think they are all that similar. Muir E Woods is hard to describe but I wasn't a fan. I wouldn't purchase Vespers but I liked quite a bit if that makes any sense? Vespers is fairly mousse de saxe forward so it lines up with the basenotes. A sort of creamy-spicy scent with some woods and cranberry to boot.

Just got a sample of Smoking Bishop and maybe it will change as it lathers but it reminds me of grape flavored candy or something I can't quite pinpoint? Christmas candy? lol...
Yeah, smoking bishop for me, was a one note grape scent… and more of a kids bubble gum or candy as you describe it compared to a vineyard or mulled spicy wine. For me, it ended there, I won’t get a full size of it and probably won’t finish it.

It's been a long wait for this...

full

So long that I don't expect anybody to remember how much I was begging for them to release it in Omnibus last summer! All is well now, my beloved Oceana is here and I still love it. :001_wub:

I picked up the soap and aftershave set, two bath soap bars and THE NEW EDC splash! I already drenched myself in that right before driving home an hour, it has about a two hour endurance(perfect). If I am careful how much I use in the morning, I should be able to get away with wearing it and by the time I get to school it will won't be any stronger than freshly laundered clothes! Man, I smell like a day at the beach right now, this is really adjacent to the ADP Blue Meditarraneo that I usually wear in the summer. Sorry for going a bit crazy, I am sure the soap and AS will be great when I get to use them on Monday. Oh, I will be ordering more once Maggard has his supply(along with other stuff).

It's been a long wait for this...

full

So long that I don't expect anybody to remember how much I was begging for them to release it in Omnibus last summer! All is well now, my beloved Oceana is here and I still love it. :001_wub:

I picked up the soap and aftershave set, two bath soap bars and THE NEW EDC splash! I already drenched myself in that right before driving home an hour, it has about a two hour endurance(perfect). If I am careful how much I use in the morning, I should be able to get away with wearing it and by the time I get to school it will won't be any stronger than freshly laundered clothes! Man, I smell like a day at the beach right now, this is really adjacent to the ADP Blue Meditarraneo that I usually wear in the summer. Sorry for going a bit crazy, I am sure the soap and AS will be great when I get to use them on Monday. Oh, I will be ordering more once Maggard has his supply(along with other stuff).

The best part of your package is the Fougère Gothique EdP sample!!! I dunno if you bought it or if it was a gift…

Hope you’ll like it as much as I do. I think it’s my girlfriend’s favourite scent of all the ones I have!

Enjoy your Oceana ones too!

Top Bottom