What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

In the WCS video for Reserve, Will says he prefers synthetics. I imagine he makes the soaps that he would love, so it makes sense if they shine with synths.

I have three synths but the only one I use is a Fanchurian knot. It is phenomenal.

I did not know that Will prefers synthetics. I have tried to like synthetics before, but never stayed with them until that tuxedo knot got my attention.

The Fanchurian is a natural hair Manchurian in a fan shape?

I've been struggling to get consistent results with this tub. I prefer boars. Today I relented and went with a synthetic as per manufacturer recommendation and got a very good lather with good protection. But the necessity of a synthetic for me is not a desirable attribute, more of a weakness in a soap. But at least there is a path to make it work and if I dont like it I don't have to buy another one. Really like the scent though and the Canadian retailer just stocked the Nordost, which is a scent that also interests me.
Imagepipe_23.jpg

I did not know that Will prefers synthetics. I have tried to like synthetics before, but never stayed with them until that tuxedo knot got my attention.

The Fanchurian is a natural hair Manchurian in a fan shape?
Check out the WCS B&M video. I find it really interesting but obviously reserve lathers differently than omnibus so keep that in mind.

Wow, I feel like a fool. For some reason I was under the impression that my newish Fanchurian from Chisel & Hound was a synthetic. Every time I shaved with it I thought damn this synthetic feels exactly like badger. I just checked the c&h website turns out it is of course badger. So ignore me. :blushing:

I will need to go back to the drawing board and try out my synths again. I will keep an eye on the tuxedo because my plissoft and alpha synth are not favorites.

Check out the WCS B&M video. I find it really interesting but obviously reserve lathers differently than omnibus so keep that in mind.

Wow, I feel like a fool. For some reason I was under the impression that my newish Fanchurian from Chisel & Hound was a synthetic. Every time I shaved with it I thought damn this synthetic feels exactly like badger. I just checked the c&h website turns out it is of course badger. So ignore me. :blushing:

I will need to go back to the drawing board and try out my synths again. I will keep an eye on the tuxedo because my plissoft and alpha synth are not favorites.

I'll check out the video. I was just asking because if you found a synthetic fanchurian I was going to add that to my list. I have a fanchurian in my Grizzly Bay brush and it is definitely a luxurious and incredibly dense knot.

I've been struggling to get consistent results with this tub. I prefer boars. Today I relented and went with a synthetic as per manufacturer recommendation and got a very good lather with good protection. But the necessity of a synthetic for me is not a desirable attribute, more of a weakness in a soap. But at least there is a path to make it work and if I dont like it I don't have to buy another one. Really like the scent though and the Canadian retailer just stocked the Nordost, which is a scent that also interests me.

I can't imagine what goes into a soap base that would make it work better with a synthetic than a badger and vice versa. I didn't even know that was a thing until I started reading up on Omni. I'm also using a scuttle and synthetics seem to release the lather better in this scuttle. For me right now anyway it's a win with the Omni base and a win with the scuttle.

I can't imagine what goes into a soap base that would make it work better with a synthetic than a badger and vice versa.
I would have said pshaw to that until yesterday. I was trundlng along using badgers in rotation and wondering if omnibus might obsolete Every Dang Thing and then had a miserable, stingy lather with Lavanille and high density badger.

I love Lavanille so next time it comes around I will try to remember to either choose a synth or a less dense varmint to see if it perks up for me.

No complaints with omnibus and badger brushes. I'm a heavy brush loader so I've no issues with the brush eating the soap. I squeeze all my brushes the last pass anyway. I can see a stingy loader having trouble with animal hair brushes, for sure. This is the best base I've used and I'd use my wife's makeup brush to lather with if that's all I had and I'm sure it'll work fine.

I typically start with a saturated brush and load off the tub for 60-70 seconds. With synths I get enough, with boar I get enough for one pass. But it's still early on for me. Lots to learn here yet. But compared to other soaps it's far from a no-brainer for me.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I used a Paladin Polo today with Gothique in Omnibus. Soaked the brush for 5 minutes. Load the soap for 25 seconds. (Which is 8 seconds longer than I load for a synth.) Face lather. Shave. Plenty of soap for a 3 pass shave with a ton left over. And the face feel with this particular brush is off the charts with any soap. But with an Omnibus soap, its through the roof. I am still feeling my face 10 hours later. I have zero issues lathering Omnibus with a badger. In fact, the only issue I have with Omnibus, is it made me no longer like 90% of my other soaps. Not kidding.

In fact, the only issue I have with Omnibus, is it made me no longer like 90% of my other soaps. Not kidding.

Ditto. When Omnibus was first released I told myself I would not repurchase B&M soaps I already had in Excelsior. The more I used Omnibus the more I liked it. I not only repurchased some B&M soaps, I find myself wanting the same easy loading and slickness from all of my soaps. The other soaps are are pretty darn good too, but Omnibus raised the bar.

with Omnibus, is it made me no longer like 90% of my other soaps. Not kidding.

Same for me. If I use something like arko, speik, or Palmolive stick it's a night and day difference in performance. Even tallow tabac doesn't hold a candle to omnibus.

I take about 40 swirls with my badgers. Just one shake and begin loading.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Same for me. If I use something like arko, speik, or Palmolive stick it's a night and day difference in performance. Even tallow tabac doesn't hold a candle to omnibus.

And Razorock, Stirling Varen, Southern Witchcraft, Noble Otter, etc. etc.

Excelsior still holds up okay for me, as long as I use a good brush and spend the time. Soft Heart still rocks. Especially the modified hardened Soft Heart they used for last years 42 release. That’s great stuff. And PAA CK6 still does a great job. But I have dozens of great soaps I don’t want to use any more.

The Leviathan was part of a late Christmas present that took a tour of the U.S. and finally arrived. I will use the soap every day next week. I did open the tub for a whiff and quite honestly did not get much of a scent. I did not detect coffee but rather a slight laundry soap smell.

The Leviathan was part of a late Christmas present that took a tour of the U.S. and finally arrived. I will use the soap every day next week. I did open the tub for a whiff and quite honestly did not get much of a scent. I did not detect coffee but rather a slight laundry soap smell.
Wow! Whatever you use for laundry soap I'd like to have some of that! I like the scent of Leviathan but wish it lasted more than an hour or two.

I like the scent of Leviathan but wish it lasted more than an hour or two.
I will never get over how "ymmv" all this is. I'm pondering whether to put Leviathan in my Keep or BST pile because it seems to last forever and I seem to prefer scents that gradually fade away over a couple hours (at most).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I also got it for Christmas and also thought the scent was very mild.

I've used it face lathering, in the scuttle with boars, badgers and synthetics. It's not my new favorite. I definitely won't be replacing this one.

I have been 3017'ing Leviathan. It took me a little longer than anticipated but now that it's dialed in I am blown away by it. What works for me: very wet Plissoft (Bruce, soaked under running water, shaken once), load liberally (55 swirls or count to 55 while swirling, precise I know), then face lather. I dunk the tips about an inch between passes. The lather is incredible within a minute or two.

I am really liking Leviathan. To me, the aroma is very masculine - leather, coffee, smoke; all brilliantly wrapped
Felt nicely slick and delivered smooth supple skin in the end. This, all considering my loading skills are seriously immature...

I went ahead anyway with the lather on the thin side and was pleasantly surprised with the result. Certainly, a drier brush and 25 more swirls will yield better results to tomorrow's load. I can hardly wait, though I wished the aroma lasted longer for me

Disclaimer: Not only is this my first B&M Soap (FMOM and Vespers already enroute)
Dare I say this is my first ever soap experienced in my first month of DE shaving

Top Bottom