What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Has anybody tried(smelled) Barrister's new release?View attachment 1356522
"
Mélange is proudly offered in our new lanolin-free Omnibus base.

Arrakis. Dune. The only source of the most valuable substance in the known universe, the one that has the power to make or break an empire:

The Spice.

The fundamental force underlying Frank Herbert's famously influential and notoriously complex work Dune, the Spice Mélange, often known simply as "the spice," is a powerful psychoactive that makes space travel within the story possible. Without it, the mutated navigators of the Spacing Guild cannot predict the flight paths of interstellar starships, and flying blind in such a fashion is a good way to materialize from warp space inside the heart of a star.

In case you can't tell, we're huge fans of Dune at Barrister and Mann, so, in honor of both one of our favorite novels of all time as well as its recent cinematic adaptation, we wanted to create something truly special. Thus was born Mélange, our interpretation of the scent of the spice itself. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, bay, musk, and desert air blend to produce an intensely spicy, all-encompassing aroma that brings to mind remote deserts, underground cultures, and the rumblings of revolution.

Net Wt. 4 oz, Made in the USA

Please note: While we have made every effort to reduce the allergen activity of Mélange, if you're very sensitive to cinnamon or other spices, we recommend picking up a sample from Maggard Razors (coming very shortly) before purchasing any full size products.

Also, please note that the unique composition of Mélange fragrance has made this soap slightly sticky in texture. We recommend lighter loading practices in general, and a synthetic brush if possible, for optimal use."

"

Smelled, no, but it's on its way here!

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 11.46.27 AM.png

I work part-time for the Navigator's Guild.

AA

Love Gothique and Leviathan both. I've used Gothique 3 times and the scent keeps changing. Sometimes it's dark woods and other times funeral flowers. It is the most mysterious soap I own. It's most definitely a scent you can wear in the office.
Leviathan is stronger initially but Gothique lasts longer.

🤔 With a quote from RAH in your sig line, I'm not surprised you've read Frank Herbert!

Man. Went to reread Dune, my boxed set from the 70s was lost in a... death, but. 🤔 They are getting $83 bucks for that on the bay.

AA
Had an original Chilton blue 1st edition, signed by Herbert. Subsequently lost in a military move. They did reimburse me though, which I believe at the time was around $5. :07:

Very intrigued. Too much cinnamon, though, and it can irritate my skin. I'll have to wait for reviews of it. But I'll be firing up my BBC radio drama of Dune soon! I agree about Cheshire as a guaranteed buy—such a lovely Earl Grey tea scent.

I am with you. I love thee smell of cinnamon rolls in the oven, but cinnamon in my shaving soap can be too much for my skin.

I do have some soaps that have cinnamon as a minor note. For example, I cannot tolerate bay rum scents with cloves, but if the cloves is replaced with cinnamon, I am OK with it.

I am anxious to try Omnibus to see how it compares with other top artisan soaps, but I am waiting for the right scent.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I am with you. I love thee smell of cinnamon rolls in the oven, but cinnamon in my shaving soap can be too much for my skin.

I do have some soaps that have cinnamon as a minor note. For example, I cannot tolerate bay rum scents with cloves, but if the cloves is replaced with cinnamon, I am OK with it.

I am anxious to try Omnibus to see how it compares with other top artisan soaps, but I am waiting for the right scent.
I have no doubt that Omnibus will impress you. Cheshire should drop in the next couple of weeks.

I have no doubt that Omnibus will impress you. Cheshire should drop in the next couple of weeks.

I have Cheshire in the Glissant base. I rate the performance at the B level and the scent as 8/10. I use the soap, but I do not particularly enjoy the experience as I have many soaps with better performance and scents.

I rate Excelsior as an A level soap for performance, but the two I have I rate 8/10 on scent: Beaudelaire and Vespers. Both contain Will's version of Mouse de Saxe, which apparently is not for my nose. YMMV.

My favorite Barrister and Mann scent is Waves which I rate as 9/10. I have 60 soaps in my collection whose scents I rate as 10/10. Unfortunately, I have not yet tried a Barrister and Mann scent that rated 10/10.

I am waiting for Will to introduce the Reserve soaps in Omnbus so I can try Lavender. Will describes this as an "Elegant, smooth lavender unlike anything you've smelled before." I am hoping it will finally be a scent I will love.

BTW: The worst of Will's scents I have tried is Roam. I rate that 5/10. It is not a scent I like, but it is still far above the worst scent I have tried. I have it in the SoftHeart base, which I rate as an A-level soap for performance. I hope Omnibus rates A+.

I have Cheshire in the Glissant base. I rate the performance at the B level and the scent as 8/10. I use the soap, but I do not particularly enjoy the experience as I have many soaps with better performance and scents.

I rate Excelsior as an A level soap for performance, but the two I have I rate 8/10 on scent: Beaudelaire and Vespers. Both contain Will's version of Mouse de Saxe, which apparently is not for my nose. YMMV.

My favorite Barrister and Mann scent is Waves which I rate as 9/10. I have 60 soaps in my collection whose scents I rate as 10/10. Unfortunately, I have not yet tried a Barrister and Mann scent that rated 10/10.

I am waiting for Will to introduce the Reserve soaps in Omnbus so I can try Lavender. Will describes this as an "Elegant, smooth lavender unlike anything you've smelled before." I am hoping it will finally be a scent I will love.

BTW: The worst of Will's scents I have tried is Roam. I rate that 5/10. It is not a scent I like, but it is still far above the worst scent I have tried. I have it in the SoftHeart base, which I rate as an A-level soap for performance. I hope Omnibus rates A+.
I'm looking forward to Waves. I'm looking forward to all the Reserve scents, for that matter. I hope he uses the same labels. Reserve labels have always been my favorite with the solid color symbol over black. Perfectly simple and elegant.

@RayClem I'm curious which scents you've rated 10/10?

Top Bottom