What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

I hate synths though. I've been fine with my badgers but I'm also using a lot of product and I squeeze out a good amount for my final pass. So yeah I'd agree the badgers are holding on to this lather but it doesn't bother me. It's still the best soap on the planet to me and nothing else is close.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I hate synths though. I've been fine with my badgers but I'm also using a lot of product and I squeeze out a good amount for my final pass. So yeah I'd agree the badgers are holding on to this lather but it doesn't bother me. It's still the best soap on the planet to me and nothing else is close.
Did you see what Maggard’s has in stock? 😁

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Fougere Gothique in Omnibus has dropped at Maggard's. After shave not available yet.
Yup. Got an email from Maggards overnight. Has a code for free shipping with $39. SHIP39. Got the Gothique in Omnibus.

To get up to a total of $39.94, I threw in a tub of Varen Mutton. @Hannah's Dad will be proud! Never been a fan of Stirling soaps. And I have tried plenty of them. Looking forward to maybe changing that opinion with the Varen. It will be hard for the Stirling stuff to stand up to B&M soaps for me. Worth a shot.

:straight:

Because i had planned to buy Angelique anyway i ordered the splash with Gothique soap. Kind of annoyed at Maggard for doing it this way since Angelique soap is supposedly coming early November- not sure why they couldn't wait to drop everything at the same time. Depending on whether i enjoy one or the other will determine if i order more product. B&M hasn't showed their Angelique cards on social media platforms so i suspect the early November date is aggressive.

I agree synthetics work well with omnibus, but I have been plowing through some amazing lathers with my Paladin badgers on this soap.
My badger brushes are crushing this soap. Too bad Will doesn't do replacement pucks or even an extra large size. For someone that shaves every day with animal hair brushes i might get a month and a half out of a tub.

Hannah's Dad

Yup. Got an email from Maggards overnight. Has a code for free shipping with $39. SHIP39. Got the Gothique in Omnibus.

To get up to a total of $39.94, I threw in a tub of Varen Mutton. @Hannah's Dad will be proud! Never been a fan of Stirling soaps. And I have tried plenty of them. Looking forward to maybe changing that opinion with the Varen. It will be hard for the Stirling stuff to stand up to B&M soaps for me. Worth a shot.

:straight:
1635515831472.gif

Hannah's Dad

My badger brushes are crushing this soap. Too bad Will doesn't do replacement pucks or even an extra large size. For someone that shaves every day with animal hair brushes i might get a month and a half out of a tub.
No doubt … and that’s why more ‘cost-conscious’ users should strongly consider synthetics with this base.

Tried Fougere Gothique this afternoon. The scent was totally unexpected. If there is one true fougere this is it. Smells like a green mossy forest. I don't get soil or ashes or decay. Just dark woods with tiny area of lavender growing where there is just enough light coming through the forest. Funny I would have bet I'd like the much brighter Angelique over it but I'm not quite sure, yet. Gothique is epic.

Five shaves with Omnibus now and I think I'm ready to state my opinion that Omnibus is, overall, the best shaving soap available on the HB 7bmodern market. Just phenomenal. I'll probably get LGC, too. I'm also glad Will chose to make the reserve AS the default splash.

I've never tried Gothique; the mushroom note always made me apprehensive. Might go for a sample from Maggards.

I've never tried Gothique; the mushroom note always made me apprehensive. Might go for a sample from Maggards.
There isn't anything close to mushrooms. I was convinced I wouldn't like it but that was not the case. There are some similarities to Stirling Varen but far more going on in the middle notes. I can't use Gothique every day but I'm glad I have it.

Last edited:
I was expecting a mail about Fougere Gothique, but, instead got one about Mélange. I want to say the spice must flow, but, I think I'll try a sample first.

I don't think he'll put Gothique up on his website. You'll only hear about it through Maggard. I shaved with it today, actually. It's really incredible.

Reactions: DSR
Has anybody tried(smelled) Barrister's new release?
IMG_1069_720x.jpg

"
Mélange is proudly offered in our new lanolin-free Omnibus base.

Arrakis. Dune. The only source of the most valuable substance in the known universe, the one that has the power to make or break an empire:

The Spice.

The fundamental force underlying Frank Herbert's famously influential and notoriously complex work Dune, the Spice Mélange, often known simply as "the spice," is a powerful psychoactive that makes space travel within the story possible. Without it, the mutated navigators of the Spacing Guild cannot predict the flight paths of interstellar starships, and flying blind in such a fashion is a good way to materialize from warp space inside the heart of a star.

In case you can't tell, we're huge fans of Dune at Barrister and Mann, so, in honor of both one of our favorite novels of all time as well as its recent cinematic adaptation, we wanted to create something truly special. Thus was born Mélange, our interpretation of the scent of the spice itself. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, bay, musk, and desert air blend to produce an intensely spicy, all-encompassing aroma that brings to mind remote deserts, underground cultures, and the rumblings of revolution.

Net Wt. 4 oz, Made in the USA

Please note: While we have made every effort to reduce the allergen activity of Mélange, if you're very sensitive to cinnamon or other spices, we recommend picking up a sample from Maggard Razors (coming very shortly) before purchasing any full size products.

Also, please note that the unique composition of Mélange fragrance has made this soap slightly sticky in texture. We recommend lighter loading practices in general, and a synthetic brush if possible, for optimal use."

"

Top Bottom