What's new

Barrister and Mann's new Omnibus base: discussion and reviews

I should have ordered the balm rather than the splash. I ordered it the day it was released and I'm still waiting for my soap (I live in Alaska and alcohol has to be ground shipped). Tracking suggests it will be here tomorrow though; I'll be posting my first impressions Tuesday morning.
Funny i just ordered the balm and Edt from WCS. I got a 20% off coupon so it offset the shipping cost otherwise i probably would have waited.

I asked Will to confirm that the Reserve line will also be moved over to Omnibus. The short answer is "yes". Here is his email...

"Hi Sterling!

Yessir; everything will be changed over to Omnibus, including the Barrister's Reserve fragrances and any Soft Heart scents that I decided to make permanent (though that decision will come later).

As for availability, I don't have specific dates for you, but we expect to be finished no later than the end of November. :)

Also, sorry to see that your parcel has not yet arrived. I will keep an eye on it over the course of the next few days. If the USPS decides that it has been lost, we'll ship you a new one ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

Best,

Will"

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I asked Will to confirm that the Reserve line will also be moved over to Omnibus. The short answer is "yes". Here is his email...

"Hi Sterling!

Yessir; everything will be changed over to Omnibus, including the Barrister's Reserve fragrances and any Soft Heart scents that I decided to make permanent (though that decision will come later).

As for availability, I don't have specific dates for you, but we expect to be finished no later than the end of November. :)

Also, sorry to see that your parcel has not yet arrived. I will keep an eye on it over the course of the next few days. If the USPS decides that it has been lost, we'll ship you a new one ASAP.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

Best,

Will"
If Paganini’s Violin is released, I’ll be ecstatic. One of my favorite scents ever created.

So pretty sure a tub of omnibus will last about 40-50 shaves if you lather with a badger brush and load enough for 4-5 passes. This is about on par with Excelsior. You can stretch it out far more with a synthetic brush, probably.

As you can tell I really like Leviathan in omnibus and will have to buy another tub before it runs out.

Screenshot_20211019-091227_Photos.jpg

So pretty sure a tub of omnibus will last about 40-50 shaves if you lather with a badger brush and load enough for 4-5 passes. This is about on par with Excelsior. You can stretch it out far more with a synthetic brush, probably.

As you can tell I really like Leviathan in omnibus and will have to buy another tub before it runs out.

View attachment 1348367

So that’s what the bottom of a tub looks like. I can’t believe it has been out that long already.

So that’s what the bottom of a tub looks like. I can’t believe it has been out that long already.
Three weeks? And it's all i've used every day with the exception of one shave with tabac and another with B&M Fern in reserve since 10/1. I'm using way more product than i actually need so i need to tone down loading.

I emailed asking him if he plans to make the base firmer like he did with soft heart and this is what he said:

"It may not be possible. The texture of Omnibus at present is a result of the same technique used to harden Soft Heart. I can't say that I find it THAT soft, and I've found that less loading is required in general in order to work up an excellent lather; I typically swirl my brush only 30 times or so before shaving. To harden it significantly would require either a) an extended cure time, likely in the order of several months, or; b) commercial milling and drying equipment, which is currently well beyond our space and capital considerations. I hope to some day make it firmer but, for now, I have no real idea how to go about doing so. I will keep exploring, though."

I must confess- i cut myself. Didn't tighten the bird's top cap enough and the blade moved at the start of a pass. Haven't spilled a drop of blood otherwise since i started using this soap.
Same thing happened to me. Was having a great headshave in the shower with a Baili BD176 and a Wilkinson Sword Classic on it's second run, when I felt the blade bite me. I kept on going and it bit me again and again. When I opened my eyes (I headshave blindly) the shower looked like the scene in Psychosis. Only then I realized the razor had loosened. Learned my lesson: tighten that sucker.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I missed out on this one and I don't remember what the scent profile was of this soap. What did it smell like? A lot of folks rave about the scent.
Here’s how the creator (Will Carius) once described it:

‘A play on laundry musks, underlaid with a slightly fruity, tea-like’ scent.

It’s a hauntingly beautiful scent.

Maggards still has listings for them even though they are out of stock. I found out yesterday that there is a helpful graphic with the scents. Hoping it takes up some sales from Leviathan so I don't miss out.

68827074-1B3C-4ACD-892E-969D48A8DBB9.jpeg
Anyone try Fougere Gothique and Angelique?

I have samples of both. I really enjoy Angelique, it’s a bright but complex scent, I get citrus on the top then other notes that I can’t differentiate but blend well with the citrus and don’t get any of the burning wood. I find it unique and don’t know any other scents it’s close to. Gothique is a unique dark scent, all I get is mushrooms and burning wood. I don’t enjoy it and my wife says the only scent worse is CF Midnight Stag. It has quite a fan base, I’ve heard a few say it’s their favourite scent and is constantly requested that they bring it back so obviously there are people that enjoy it.

Top Bottom