What's new

Barrister and Mann

Hi all,

Help!!

I just can’t seem to obtain a suitable lather with B & M, be it Reserve, Excelsior or even Omnibus.

I have tried following IAMCDB’s bowl lathering videos which work for other soaps, but with B&M it either ends up ridiculously pasty or, when I add water at regular intervals, it goes on very thin so I can see my skin through it.

Any tips very welcome!

i had the same problem with my b&m spice after a few videos I came to the conclusion that no matter what I did I was not going to get the same lather as most of my soaps for this one reason…b&m is a low structure lather …the stuff most are used to is a high structure …the low structure apparently it’s part of its charm…if you can’t get them to do as you like you could sell them ..pif them or try again at another date 👍

I only have the Reserve base myself and it just doesn't get 'frothy' though I can get it to be very dense, wet, and slick. I find it to be a very effective and enjoyable product even if it doesn't make that 'soap commercial' lather as mine seems to be slick as whale snot.

Hi all,

Help!!

I just can’t seem to obtain a suitable lather with B & M, be it Reserve, Excelsior or even Omnibus.

I have tried following IAMCDB’s bowl lathering videos which work for other soaps, but with B&M it either ends up ridiculously pasty or, when I add water at regular intervals, it goes on very thin so I can see my skin through it.

Any tips very welcome!
I heard that B&M was a thirsty soap.

As stated above, Barrister soaps are calibrated toward performance favoring density over fluffiness. Keep that in mind.

It's hard to narrow on what your issue might be without more information like how you load, how long you load, how you introduce water and how much water you introduce overall. Excelsior and especially Omnibus are exceptionally easy to lather, so if you're still having problems consider consider showing is your lathering routine so it'll be easy to diagnose

Hi all,

Help!!

Any tips very welcome!
Hi Enclave68, What type of brush are you using for your B&M? Also how do you lather? Wondering if a change in technique/tools may work for you with B&M. Have found that for harder tallow based soaps face lathering after loading a large (26mm knot for me) good quality stiff boar brush for about a minute works well. Lots of posts from others with similar experiences. Depending on exactly how hard your B&M puck is (B&M has more premium ingredients like glycerin compared to the tallow soap I use) a larger 26mm+ synthetic knot could also be and option worth experimenting with if not already something you tried.

I tried both a wetter and less wet lather with Spice Reserve. All seemed to be ok, but either method produced lather very lacking in slickness. I have an easier time building lather with Williams or any other soap. Perhaps it's my water that's to blame.

Just got some reserve lavender and it’s thirsty but the performance is awesome! Definitely not a big foamy lather with my synth or boar but I’m not complaining. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom